• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#26 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Just plain fantastic! Congrats on an outstanding job!
Semper Fi.......Bob

#27 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,189 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

I'm speechless Dennis! Last time we talked you said it was nearly done but, this is much more than I ever expected. There are not enough words to describe how very nice and professionally done all of this is. Add to that all the ultra-rare WWI aviation stuff and, ahhhh, did I say I'm speechless already? :blink:

#28 MFortney

MFortney
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,311
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

Absolutely amazing! One of the most professional looking displays that I've seen here.

#29 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,422
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

I'm speechless Dennis! Last time we talked you said it was nearly done but, this is much more than I ever expected. There are not enough words to describe how very nice and professionally done all of this is. Add to that all the ultra-rare WWI aviation stuff and, ahhhh, did I say I'm speechless already? :blink:

Many thanks for all the kind comments- Still not finalized on the layout per se, but mostly there. My 5th Reg. Marine has much more to lay out and hang up on the walls. At any rate, I'm humbled by the comments that some of you big boys have made. There have been some incredible war rooms on the forum and I'm trying to catch up with Bobgee and the Manifors, Jeremiah, Baker502, etc. etc................... It's been a labor for sure!

Thanks Again, DJ

#30 jeb137

jeb137
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,767
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

Dennis, it looks FANTASTIC !

Thanks for sharing it with us

Jon B
Newaygo MI

#31 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,224
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

Not much else can be said about this outstanding collection and its professional display. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing more of it in the New Year. ;)
Regards
John

#32 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,843
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

That's incredible, thank you for taking the time to post the photos and allowing me the chance to see that magnificent collection. I look forward to more photos.

Thanks

Dennis

#33 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

way to make my war room look like a closet! If I find a WWI cot and donate it, can I sleep in that place on it? :D

#34 HelmetGuy

HelmetGuy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 229
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

Outstanding! Thanks for posting the pictures.

#35 ClaptonIsGod

ClaptonIsGod
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,251
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

All I can say is...amazing. Any steel pots?

#36 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

VERY well done. You used the space extremelly well in showcasing your collection. The mistake most people make is jamming as much as they can into a small space ( me included). You did a great job of balancing it out.

Kurt

#37 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

way to make my war room look like a closet! If I find a WWI cot and donate it, can I sleep in that place on it? :D

No cot needed.... come on up.......9 degrees outside.......fireplace & cold beer inside.... and boxes to go thru

Thanks for the compliment.

DJ

#38 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 387
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

What a fantastic, museum quality display. Where do you keep the dogs, cats and kids? :lol: Did you personally frame everything or had it done? I assume this is your basement?
What a great preservation of history. So unfortunate that very few other than here will ever see this great historical rooms/basement.
4starchris

#39 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

What a fantastic, museum quality display. Where do you keep the dogs, cats and kids? :lol: Did you personally frame everything or had it done? I assume this is your basement?
What a great preservation of history. So unfortunate that very few other than here will ever see this great historical rooms/basement.
4starchris

My children 9 & 11, know the history of most of the men that these uniforms and artifacts represent and move freely around the basement. The cats?-----well, they are getting the picture, so to speak. All photos and documents are framed by a couple of crazy friends of mine that own a framing and party shop. Usually a Single Malt in the back by the matt selection. All are acid free products and UV glass. In the end, I'll loss the added expense of the framing. Nobody cares........................except me. Most of the original framing and matts are filthy and very acidic and sometimes in contact with the glass. I can't stand the thought of at least not trying to preserve this great history.

Many Thanks, DJ

#40 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

Dammit, man! When am I coming over for coffee and drool time? Superb, Dennis....just Superb.

#41 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 387
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

My children 9 & 11, know the history of most of the men that these uniforms and artifacts represent and move freely around the basement. The cats?-----well, they are getting the picture, so to speak. All photos and documents are framed by a couple of crazy friends of mine that own a framing and party shop. Usually a Single Malt in the back by the matt selection. All are acid free products and UV glass. In the end, I'll loss the added expense of the framing. Nobody cares........................except me. Most of the original framing and matts are filthy and very acidic and sometimes in contact with the glass. I can't stand the thought of at least not trying to preserve this great history.

Many Thanks, DJ

Love the collection. Love the fact everyone respects the collection. Could not agree with you more about redoing the photos and documents. Some may argue keep original at all cost. Me, preservation is the name of the game at a reasonable cost. You happen it have it that way. Good for you and your friends.
Great job. keep up posted.
4starchris

#42 Bob K

Bob K
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 8,339
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

OUTSTANDING DISPLAYS
I have a special interest in this as I own a Colt 1911 which was brought back by Barak T. Mattingly whose life was saved by Gunnery SGT. Stockham during the fighting in Belleau Woods. Stockham died a few days later from the effects of the gas. Years later, Mattingly was instrumental in getting the M.O.H. approved for Stockham. A friend of mine has tried researching this 1911 to see if it can be tied back to Stockham, but came up short. He did however find a Marine historian who was very interested in purchasing the pistol.
Google search these two fine individuals and you will find a lot of interesting facts. Mr. Mattingly sure made good with his second chance at life.
It is interesting to note that Stockham has no known relatives and there is only one known picture of him which exists that wasn't found until recent times (not sure exactly when, but I'm thinking within the last 10-15 years).
Stockham.jpg

#43 316th FS 324th FG

316th FS 324th FG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,463
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

Dennis

You have done an outstanding job. Both my wife and I are in awe (albeit for very different reasons :) )

Doug

#44 Jason G

Jason G
  • Members
    • Member ID: 271
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

Awe inspiring. I wonder if I'm too old to be adopted.....?

My basement looks like the bottom of an old shoe box filled with junk compared to this.

#45 Chris Liontas

Chris Liontas
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,969
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

I've been asked to post photos on how the "museum" is coming along. Last bit of paint in October - Nothing really finalized. Not all unpacked - Here's some stuff, however.

Hope it meets with some approval.

View going down stairs

"Some approval""

ROFL!!!!

Just a bit! :w00t: :thumbsup: :w00t:

#46 Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,672
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

Dennis, The quality of your collection is amazing! I love the early USMC items. The reason that so much isnt properly preserved is due to the cost. The level you have went to in properly framing exceeds many museums, and I must say it all looks excellent. I also love the furniture and display cases. Are the cases all antiques or have you made some of them?

#47 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

Dammit, man! When am I coming over for coffee and drool time? Superb, Dennis....just Superb.

Jeremiah,

Please take the time and "come on over" - you have a standing invite. Glad it meets with your approval and I'm serious about the invite.

DJ

#48 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:19 AM

Dennis, The quality of your collection is amazing! I love the early USMC items. The reason that so much isnt properly preserved is due to the cost. The level you have went to in properly framing exceeds many museums, and I must say it all looks excellent. I also love the furniture and display cases. Are the cases all antiques or have you made some of them?

Those that know me personally know that I never add or alter original groups (other than for my personal display). Preservation is a tricky and a personal choice for any collector. When it comes time to dispose of my collection, the original frames and glass to most of the conserved photos will go to the buyer. I have saved them all. The display cases are original antiques. When possible, I try to display these artifacts with period furniture. Cost of preservation is certainly a factor. My collection was several times larger a short time ago and I made the decision to raise the bar and finace my preservation efforts as well as finish this long wanted museum. I miss some of my helmets and DSC's and etc.; but in the end I'm fairly pleased with the result. The idea to finish this project is several years old and was done in stages as funds permitted. With the exception of the electrical, sheetrock and priming the walls and ceiling, all work was done by me. There was a LOT of "measure 4 times and cut once" mistakes, but it got done. There is, however, a lot of detail work to be done with several display decisions.

Dennis

#49 baker502

baker502
  • Members
    • Member ID: 512
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

Dennis,
this display is fantastic and well executed. This just goes to show some of the new collectors out there it is not about quantity but quality. I know everyone who has the bug wants anything they can get when they first start, but this goes to show you what some trigger discipline and being patient results in. My hats off to you Dennis.. Paul

Edited by baker502, 31 December 2009 - 07:59 AM.

#50 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

Dennis,

Can't add much to what's already been said. I know its been a labor of love, blood, sweat and tears, and the results are simply stunning. I've never seen a collection more lovingly and tastfully displayed than yours my friend.

....and to think, you live so damn far away.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users