Vietnam Lightweight Rucksacks with frame

gruntnam

if you can't bring yourself to pay the premium that LWRs fetch, just keep trolling flea markets, craigslist, garage sales. it finally paid off for me when i found an absolutely minty fresh 67 LWR for $35. look for posting that say ALICE racks as well, sometimes the owner can be mistaken.

alternatively, if you live near the canadian border, take a trip over and hit up surplus stores there. the CDN army used the 64 Pattern jump rucksack which was essentially a direct copy of the LWR and was used well into the 90s. the only difference in the frame i believe is the 64 Pattern does not have the interior eyelet. the packs and straps themselves are a bit different as well. if you wanted to use an LWR for reenacting, this could be a suitable cheaper source. it wouldn't pass mustard however if you want it for a collection/exhibit. but i've heard you can get frames in toronto surplus store for like $25...

Many thanks for the link Paul :thumbsup:

It indeed has lots of excellent information.

The only thing that confused me was that in that web page they do not mention a 67 LWR...they should update it.

As far as I know there is only 4 versions of the standard LW ruck ever made. They may be reffered to by different names though. The problem model names like this is the military very often doesnt use them. To them any new model of LW ruck was still a lightweight rucksack with a riveted or welded frame. Collectors mainly make these names to tell the differences and sometimes its hard to find the exact year of a switch to new model and there is some confusion. The names used can often be different or change when the model years are corrected. An example is the USMC utilities from the 50s. The HBT versions were called P56 or P54 for a while untill someone found paperwork that said they were actually from 1953.

Vietnamgear is actually updated pretty often. They try to keep up with new info and often add new items and pictures.

As far as I know there is only 4 versions of the standard LW ruck ever made. They may be reffered to by different names though. The problem model names like this is the military very often doesnt use them. To them any new model of LW ruck was still a lightweight rucksack with a riveted or welded frame. Collectors mainly make these names to tell the differences and sometimes its hard to find the exact year of a switch to new model and there is some confusion. The names used can often be different or change when the model years are corrected. An example is the USMC utilities from the 50s. The HBT versions were called P56 or P54 for a while untill someone found paperwork that said they were actually from 1953.

Vietnamgear is actually updated pretty often. They try to keep up with new info and often add new items and pictures.

Yeah I know what you mean and the same happens with WW2 german militaria (which I previously collected). Germans didn't discern from this or that model and many models have been named after by actual collectors to differenciate them.

Anyway I have found that vietnamgear has lots of really good info :thumbsup:

Hey Gang! I have a question on the various rucksacks. I lugged around , I guess 1968 version for a while in the army. We generally put the pack on the top part of the frame.Easier to get into, plus if you humped the radio you could change batteries and work dials easier. Sleeping bags or other equipment were placed under the large pack. Also the outer pockets were designed to slide a machete down behind between it and the large pack and use the M1910 belt hooks. Now my question is. Did the earlier M64, M65 packs have the ability to place machetes, snow shoes etc to carry on the ruck behind the outer pockets. Just curious. SKIP

Hey Gang! I have a question on the various rucksacks. I lugged around , I guess 1968 version for a while in the army. We generally put the pack on the top part of the frame.Easier to get into, plus if you humped the radio you could change batteries and work dials easier. Sleeping bags or other equipment were placed under the large pack. Also the outer pockets were designed to slide a machete down behind between it and the large pack and use the M1910 belt hooks. Now my question is. Did the earlier M64, M65 packs have the ability to place machetes, snow shoes etc to carry on the ruck behind the outer pockets. Just curious. SKIP

They all had the ablitity to slide things between the side pockets and main pack. I dont think they changed anything on the actual packs. It was the frames they kept improving.

DiGilio- Thanks! Kinda figured that ,but had to verify. I know it was incorporated in the large and small ALICE. But is not used in that new plastic framed, ACU pattern ruck. THX SKIP