Vietnam Lightweight Rucksacks with frame

gruntnam

Hi all,

New to the forum I am seeking for some information about Nam era Lighweight Rucksacks.

Have used the search tool here but found nothing.

So far I know different patterns existed: experimental 1962, 1964, 1965 and 1968...am I right?

I think the pattern differed in how the frame was made: welded or riveted and its own shape.

Does anyone of you have detailed pictures of how the gear was attached to them?

I do not know why but LWR have an attraction...

Many thanks for your assistance.

gruntnam

Welcome to the forum Gruntnam.

Heres am old thread with TC 10-8, February 1967, The Lightweight Rucksack: Nylon OG106 (With Riveted Frame).

http

://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=12287

Basicly all that changed with the newer versions was the frame, straps and accessories and your right, there was new versions in 1962, 1964, 1965 and 1968. Vietnamgear.com has great pictures of each version and its accesories. Click the link and scroll about halfway down.

http://vietnamgear.com/equipment.aspx?cat=8

As for how gear was attached to the rucks... If you look in manuals and stuff you can see the way the Army wanted gear attached to the ruck. But in Vietnam, GIs were carrying a whole lot more and different gear than whats written in those manuals and gear would be attahced wherever it fit best. Heres a good example.

post-2305-1247866927.jpg

Hi DiGilio

Many thanks for the welcome and for the links...really helpfull :thumbsup:

gruntnam

If your interested in how the packs were used in Vietnam, I put some pictures of a 1967 dated one that was actually used in Vietnam below. To see how equipment was carried on them in VN, just look at a bunch of pictures. There was no rules or set ways on how things were attached or carried.

It used by a US Air Force NCO with the 377th Security Police Squadron at Tan Son Nhut. He got it through a trade with an Army trooper and used it during his second tour in 1968-1969. I blocked out his social security number and name which were written on the flap since the family doesnt want that info all over.

You can see from the pics though the amount of paint loss which is typical of field used packs. You can also see the way he attached the pack to the upper position. Its a little hard to see in the thrid picture but he also hand stitched the packs attaching straps around the top part of the frame. Its also may be a little hard to tell from the pictures but he has straps tied to the lower part of the fram so he can quickly secure items there.

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

Very nice rucksacks you both have there and DiGilio's one with provenance is a must :thumbsup:

I have seen some period pictures in books and in the web and am really astonished how they were packed...

I have some more questions...Why are the rucksacks so scarce and why do they fetch big money?

I have seen them going for $350

Have they been faked?

Cheers

gruntnam

craig_pickrall

I think the reason they are scarce is they were never released on the surplus market in huge quantity. Many items were surplused out in large quantities but these packs may have been given to a foreign government, most likely in Central or South America. I'm sure many were left in Vietnam and that area as well. The big bucks is because they have become eccential VN gear for reenactors and collectors and they aren't that easy to find. Even just after VN they were high priced in the surplus stores. That is a relative term since they were $35 or $40 then which was high at the time.

Besides the 1962 model and complete 1964 models with all the early accessories, LW rucks are pretty easy to find. There are always a few for sale but usually high priced. If you be patient and moniter them on ebay, you can get a nice one for $140-$175, or even lower if you find one that was listed wrong or the person didnt know what it was.

Ive never seen anyone fake LW rucks and I doubt anyone will try anytime soon. The cost to make a decent fake or reproduction that will actually fool people is too high to make good profit.

I bought one for $100 because two of the rivets were broken. I work with guys that have rivet tools and if you don't mind a little tinkling with your ruck, a few hidden rivets made it good as new and a fresh coat of paint and it looks quite fine.

So basically 62 and 64 models are tougher to find for sure...the only ones I have seen for sale were all 68 dated and had the middle horizontal strap but all missing the waist adjustment belt which I have heard was always discarded in Nam.

I really love this rucksack and will start seeking for one...I had the opportunity long ago to buy two 68 ones in my country but the seller asked 300 Euros for each of them...and believe me the were gone really fast, so I can't imagine how much a 62 or 64 ones would bring

i was lucky and found my 1962 here on this forum

for only 160$ shipped to my place in norway :) :)

i could always have another in my collection

but the prices are higher now :(

now im looking for a tropical ruck,but they

are damn expensive...

hope you will find one!!!

cheers ken in norway

So basically 62 and 64 models are tougher to find for sure...the only ones I have seen for sale were all 68 dated and had the middle horizontal strap but all missing the waist adjustment belt which I have heard was always discarded in Nam.

I really love this rucksack and will start seeking for one...I had the opportunity long ago to buy two 68 ones in my country but the seller asked 300 Euros for each of them...and believe me the were gone really fast, so I can't imagine how much a 62 or 64 ones would bring

The 62 and 64 models dont bring too much more. If your lucky you can get them the same price as more common LW rucks like msgt norway did (which by the way was a super deal I wish I would of seen fast enough :)). The 64 model is only rare IMO all its accessories which are the early DAVIS waist belt, early cargo shelf and instructions. Ive seen these two rucks go for $500 on ebay on a good day but also sell for the price of the more common rucks other times. If your montier ebay and other websites like I said, you can get very good deals (just make sure they ship out of the US).

The packs just strap on, so the pack will fit any frame. The only thing sized that I know of is the shelf, it is rivet or non-rivet specific.

I just tried putting an early shelf (the one that came with the welded frame versions) on a riveted LW frame and it does fit. Ive didnt put any kind of load on it but I dont see why it wouldnt work. I have used a later shelf issued with riveted frames on a welded frame while carrying things and it worked just fine. Although there are some slight differences in the shelfs besides the number of strap slots, they are basicly the exact same design and size. All the frames, riveted and welded, are also the same exact design and shape. Nothing major changes between the models.

The only reason I said that is that I bought a LW ruck shelf today and promptly sold it to MSG Norway. On the bottom of the shelf, it states "to be used on rivet frame only". Sorry, can't get a picture because it is all wrapped up waiting to go in the mail. Maybe when MSG Norway gets it, he can post a picture.

The only reason I said that is that I bought a LW ruck shelf today and promptly sold it to MSG Norway. On the bottom of the shelf, it states "to be used on rivet frame only". Sorry, can't get a picture because it is all wrapped up waiting to go in the mail. Maybe when MSG Norway gets it, he can post a picture.

I have shelves that say FOR RIVETED FRAME but it doesnt say anything about only. My guess was that was put there basicly to say to issue and use those with the new rucks. The Army didnt call the new riveted frame rucks 1965 model, the just called the LW ruck riveted frame. The older shelves also look like they may of been inferior and broke a lot because the riveted frame ones have reinforcement where the older ones dont.

yep il post pictures when i gett it :)

now i can putt my prc77 on the lw ruck :thumbsup:

and a happy new collector year to al of you :salute:

from ken in norway

I think they were two types of shelves. One with two slots for straps which goes with the early welded frames and the other shelf type with four strap slots that was used with later riveted frames.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

BTW HAPPY NEW 2010!

PS msgt norway I would love to see your prc 77 attached to the LWR :thumbsup:

That is what it's looking like so far

Thanks very much...it seems that there's not much difference amongst them except for the date