Help needed ID'ing this Officers Service Cap USMC EGA

KASTAUFFER

I recently bought a grouping to a Marine Aviator and this EGA was included in the grouping. It appears to me to be a pre-WWII example. Any help identifying what I have would be greatly appreciated! There is no hallmark on the reverse.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

MVC_003L.JPG

MVC_005L.JPG

MVC_006L.JPG

Leatherneck72
maybe a hand-me-down from dad or a superior officer

Maybe my brother can weigh in on this one, (he might know the specifics) but I am pretty sure this style was sold well into the 1930's. I too have found it with WW2 groupings.

Brian

Hi Kurt, very nice emblem! Cannot tell by your photo - is it a chestnut brown color - it is otherwise identical to the WW1 Officers Barracks cover in this thread? s/f Darrell

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=12649&hl=

Hi Darrell

It is more of a black color. Nice hat!

Kurt

Maybe my brother can weigh in on this one, (he might know the specifics) but I am pretty sure this style was sold well into the 1930's. I too have found it with WW2 groupings.

Brian

This pattern is often found with many 1930's into WW2 officer lots. It is probably the most common "WW1 pattern" emblem. I have seen many versions of this EGA with a seperately applied North and South America. EGA manufacture follows very few rules and regs (exceptions to them all), therefore exact year of manufacture is impossible to tell. Some people think that a flat continent always means that it is early manufacture, all EGAs do not subscribe to that.

It is very possible this piece was made in the 1930's and the officer purchased it in the 1940's, or that their was a surplus of this emblem from the WW1 era that was purchased during WW2. I do know this is one of the longest lasting emblems. I am tracking it being worn in photos by officers as early as 1914 and late as 1947. I believe Fred Bruier's inventory shows it along those same lines, some 30+ years of use. Marks tend to be on the earlier versions, but will vary. I have seen very few marked service examples. I believe that this forum has photographic examples of S.N. Meyer and Gemsco service versions.

Mike