BAR Parts & Accessories

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

This is the leather box used to carry parts and accessories for the BAR. It was usually carried in one of the pockets of the BAR ammo belt. The USMC are seen in photos with these modified so that they can be carried on the equipment belt by an added M1910 belt hook or belt loops.

post-5-1166713774.jpg

post-5-1166713790.jpg

post-5-1166713807.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is an example of the USMC carrying the box on the pistol belt of an assistant BAR gunner.

post-5-1166713910.jpg

post-5-1166713923.jpg

craig_pickrall

Thank you Bob for the nice comments. I wish I had half of that space. It is stored in less than 1500 SF. The down side to that is it remains hidden in boxes because there is no space to display anything.

Thank you Bob for the nice comments. I wish I had half of that space. It is stored in less than 1500 SF. The down side to that is it remains hidden in boxes because there is no space to display anything.

Have you ever come up with a rough count as to how many items are in the collection? If you ever took all of the photographs you've posted on the web (with their accompanying identifications) and printed and bound those, you'd have the best single reference book ever on US militaria.

But barring that, your posting them on the web as you do still makes for one of the best reference sources to be found. Thanks for your contributions.

Have a Merry Christmas and may Santa bring you some more square footage (as George Carlin says, all we want is a place for our stuff).

craig_pickrall
Have you ever come up with a rough count as to how many items are in the collection? If you ever took all of the photographs you've posted on the web (with their accompanying identifications) and printed and bound those, you'd have the best single reference book ever on US militaria.

But barring that, your posting them on the web as you do still makes for one of the best reference sources to be found. Thanks for your contributions.

Have a Merry Christmas and may Santa bring you some more square footage (as George Carlin says, all we want is a place for our stuff).

I have made rough attempts at counting some of the stuff from time to time. I have this rough estimate:

5000 Books

15,000 Magazines

15,000 Piece of insignia in both cloth & metal

500+ Uniform items

Web gear is my main interest and I have thousands of items but never tried to count them.

As for what I have photographed it amounts to less than 10% of the total.

I'm glad to provide the pics. Thank you for providing the space to post them.

Thank you for the best wishes. I too hope that you and your family have a great Christmas.

Dustin, that doesn't sound familiar to me.

the can will look like this or the early version oval in shape.It will be marked

spec. AXS-77 I have vinatge photos of them and they are component parts to some emergency kits put have never seen one in real life. there is an AXS-44? I have seen

post-56-1166744745.jpg

• 7 months later...

The WW1 BAR Service Handbook No. 845, dated March 121, captioned "Accessories and Spare Parts Group" lists the contents of the leather spare parts case as follows:

-1 fabric container, large, for these spare parts;

*1 extractor

*1 extractor spring

*2 firing pins

*1 sear spring

*1 connector

*1 magazine catch spring

*1 gas cylinder tube retaining pin

*1 trigger guard retaining pin

-1 fabric container, small for this part;

*1 recoil spring

-1 combination tool

-1 thong cleaner

-1 oil can (Mark II, this is the round bodies version)

-1 gas cylinder cleaning tool

-1 ruptured cartige extractor (Mark II)

courtesy James Alley Jr, Jim Ballou

I just returned from a trip down to Kansas to help my son move into his house by Ft Riley. ALong the way I hit antique shops and went to all the museums. One of which was advertised as having 1,000,000 items in the guys collection. None of them hold a candle to what forum menbers have in their collections. Wouldn't it be great if every member could post ALL their collections on CDs and put them all together. What a reference source that would be. But thats what this forum is already.

• 10 months later...
craig_pickrall

Where did that $10 figure come from? The ones I see are more like $25 to $35 and some times higher.

Where did that $10 figure come from? The ones I see are more like $25 to $35 and some times higher.

I have sold a few over the last few years and they all went for $20-30 on ebay and I see non-ebay online dealers asking more than $40 for them.

I have two and never paid more than $5. See them around at gun shows, antique malls and never more than $10. The ones I've looked at on E-bay never seem to bring much. Maybe I'll start picking up a few of the cheap ones I find