Remembering Ski; KIA 27 Dec 67

USMCRECON

post-1107-1261844913.jpg

Ski was from the Milwaukee area and I was from Chicago. We were both in the same series in boot camp and we became friends. After boot camp, we both went to Infantry Training and Recon School together. We were then deployed to Vietnam together and both ended up in the same platoon in 1st Recon.

On the morning of 27 December 1967, our recon team (8 Marines and a Hospital Corpsman) was heli-lifted to Charlie Ridge southwest of Danang for a 5-day recon patrol. The first day was spent observing a medium-sized valley and calling in artillery strikes on any enemy movement. At the time we didn't know it but the NVA were preparing for the Feb 68 Tet Offensive and there was a lot of movement in the valley. By mid afternoon we had directed half a dozen artillery missions with several enemy KBA before the enemy stopped moving in the valley.

Apparently the NVA figured out where we were and very late in the afternoon, the climbed the hill with a large assault. Ski either saw or heard something and got to his knees to look down the trail. Almost immediately the NVA opened fire on from close range. In the initial burst, Ski was hit by three Ak-47 rounds in the throat and chest. The Corpsman was at Ski's side almost instantly but he could not completely stop the bleeding.

We called for a medevac/emergency extraction and an airborne FAC was overhead within 10 minutes (diverted from another mission elsewhere) and he began calling for fixed wing attack aircraft. Ch-46s and Huey gunships arrived within about 20 minutes but the ground fire across the LZ was too heavy for the lift helos to get in (one was hit several times making an attempt). The engagement continued for over an hour as our individual weapons, and supporting fires engaged what became about a company of NVA.

During that time, the first two Ch-46s had run low on fuel and were replaced by a second pair. It was almost dark now and Ski had been bleeding the entire time. He was getting very weak and the R/O told the FAC that Ski would not make it much longer. The helos circled the hill once more at altitude and then the flight lead told us to get ready; he was coming in. Normally we were inserted and extracted in two helos but this time there would only be one bird and we all had to get on.

As the air support kept the enemy at some distance, we heard the pop of the rotor blades and the firing of the crew's 50cal MGs and the helo came straight into the still hot LZ with the rear ramp already down. Doc and another Marine pulled Ski aboard; then the rest of us loaded and we lifted off, still under fire. Once we were airborne, the fixed wing (3 fresh flights by this time) pulverized the hill and the valley below as the pilot set course straight for Charlie Med but, unfortunately, it was too late. With the rest of the team holding and comforting him, Ski bled to death on the floor of the helo about 10 minutes out from Charlie Med.

............42 years ago tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing this story. It is a stirring reminder that those who have been lost should never, ever be forgotten. As another "Ski" who was born and raised in Milwaukee, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

-Ski

normaninvasion

USMCRECON, I always enjoy reading your posts and viewing pictures. Your expierences are a true reminder of the heroics are fighting men and women have faced and continue to endure. Thank you for your service and continued commitment to the men who served with you. jeff

USMCRECON, I always enjoy reading your posts and viewing pictures. Your expierences are a true reminder of the heroics are fighting men and women have faced and continue to endure. Thank you for your service and continued commitment to the men who served with you. jeff

Thanks for the kind words. I remember a handfull and I can tell stories about a couple heroes and the names of some 58,000 heores are on the Vietnam Memorial, but I'm no hero.

Thanks for the kind words. I remember a handfull and I can tell stories about a couple heroes and the names of some 58,000 heores are on the Vietnam Memorial, but I'm no hero.

I'm sure they'd say the same thing. Semper Fi

Bill thank you for sharing this story of this brave Marine who sadly passed long before his time. It keeps his memory alive and also acts as a reminder of all those brave men and women fighting for us.

May you always rest in peace, Ski.

Thank you all for your kind words.

I do try to keep the memory of my lost buddies alive but I don't think that what I do is anything special. I'm sure that for each of the 58,000+ names on the Vietnam Memorial there are guys just like me who remember each of them and relive their loss, particularly those who were close to them.

"When that last landing's made, and we stand unafraid

On shores that no mortal has seen

'til that last bugle call sounds "Taps" for us all,

Semper Fidelis, Marine.

Thanks for sharing Ski's memory with all of us. I, for one, am humbled to be called "Marine" when I hear of men such as him.

Semper,

Ski