• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpikeBayonet

SpikeBayonet
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 1,069
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

My late father worked for the Army Map Service in Washington, DC in 1945 prior to entering the Navy. For his service he was awarded a ribbon that I for the life of me cannot identify either using my vast library or the 'net, so I'm turning to the experts.

Basically - the ribbon was solid blue with visible stitching across the front and an Army Service Forces insignia centered on it - normal width, but a little taller than most military ribbons (I'm of course describing this from memory - I chose to bury dad's ribbons with him).

Anyway - any info would be most appreciated and I am, naturally, interested in obtaining a duplicate for my personal collection...

#2 Bluejacket

Bluejacket
  • Members
    • Member ID: 193
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

SpikeBayonet,

Your late father's ribbon was a civilian award authorized on July 1, 1943 for faithful and meritorious service by employees in various civilian jobs within the War Department. There were three grades, 6 months service, 10 years service and 25 years service.

The various ribbons can be found on page 32 of the National Geographic Insignia and Decorations book from WWII.

The 6 month ribbon was a plain blue ribbon with three thin stitched horozintal lines and the insignia design of either the Office of the Secretary of War; War Department General Staff; Army Ground Forces; Army Air Forces or Army Service Forces.

The 10 year ribbon had an added thin white vertical stripe at each edge and the 25 year had thin red and white stripes.

These were strictly for wear on civilian clothes. Mapping was a function of the Army Service Forces. If your father went into the service he was probably authorized the basic 6 month style.

Bluejacket

#3 Bluejacket

Bluejacket
  • Members
    • Member ID: 193
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

Here are the WWII civilian service ribbons for the Army Service Forces.

top to bottom;

6 months

10 years

25 years

Bluejacket

#4 SpikeBayonet

SpikeBayonet
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 1,069
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:13 AM

That's it (the 6-months ribbon).

Thanks for all the replies :D

#5 ADMIN

ADMIN

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

#6 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users