EGA question

TLeo

ropes never saw the collar emblems of this type...may have been done by the Marine himself after 1956 when regulations added ropes to collar emblems, or by a later owner on a whim

ropes never saw the collar emblems of this type...may have been done by the Marine himself after 1956 when regulations added ropes to collar emblems, or by a later owner on a whim

I hadn't thought of the ropes being added after '56, but thanks for confirming my thoughts about not being on the ww2 style

teufelhunde.ret
I hadn't thought of the ropes being added after '56, but thanks for confirming my thoughts about not being on the ww2 style

Can you post a picture of the rear... ? Thx.

I thought the ropes were not added until 1963??

This was a set for sale on ebay and I've already deleted the pic of the rear of these , but when examining the pictures I could see what clearly appeared to be solder where the ropes had been attached. I think the set sold for around $300 but I was too unsure of them to place any bids.

teufelhunde.ret

I think Tim was referring to the enlisted emblems, which were approved in 55 and the supply system started the predictable catch-up game. I suspect this was also the impetus for the Uniform Board to address standardization of Officer emblems, at some point in the late 50's they recommended to CMC a standard cap/collar design and it was approved May 1960. However the implementation date did not come about until 1962 in order for makers to retool their operations. As has been suggested many times before in posts like this, many career Officer's likely continued wearing their commissioning emblems until retirement. The one posted maybe an example of someone complying with the "spirit" of the order. ;) s/f Darrell

Winning bid was $236.01

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I was watching them. Decided I wouldn't spend that much on an altered set of emblems. I agree that they probably belonged to some one comissioned prior to 1962.

I have also seen many post 1962 pictures of Marine officers wearing pre 62 EGAs.

These could easily be cleaned up or have the anchor chains removed, the price was on the low side of what other 1937 sets have brought in the past. Singles still bring $125 on a good day. The bringing price is comensurate with what they were, a real set that were modified, that can be made 'original' again.

Mike

I had a lower bid...and agree it's not bad price compared to what some of these sets bring. I was estimating 400-450 simply because they're a conversation piece that would lead newer collectors to believe were definately period 'trenched'. However, it is December, and we know how that goes on eBay

• 1 month later...
Winning bid was $236.01

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I was watching them. Decided I wouldn't spend that much on an altered set of emblems. I agree that they probably belonged to some one comissioned prior to 1962.

I have also seen many post 1962 pictures of Marine officers wearing pre 62 EGAs.

Notice

post-7989-1264623835.jpg