• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 TLeo

TLeo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,081
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

Are these WW2 period collar ornaments or possibly Korea? I was thinking that the WW2 EGA collar ornaments did not have the rope.

Attached Images

• tt10.jpg

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,874 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

ropes never saw the collar emblems of this type...may have been done by the Marine himself after 1956 when regulations added ropes to collar emblems, or by a later owner on a whim

#3 TLeo

TLeo
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

ropes never saw the collar emblems of this type...may have been done by the Marine himself after 1956 when regulations added ropes to collar emblems, or by a later owner on a whim

I hadn't thought of the ropes being added after '56, but thanks for confirming my thoughts about not being on the ww2 style

#4 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:17 AM

I hadn't thought of the ropes being added after '56, but thanks for confirming my thoughts about not being on the ww2 style

Can you post a picture of the rear... ? Thx.

#5 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

I thought the ropes were not added until 1963??

#6 TLeo

TLeo
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:19 AM

This was a set for sale on ebay and I've already deleted the pic of the rear of these , but when examining the pictures I could see what clearly appeared to be solder where the ropes had been attached. I think the set sold for around $300 but I was too unsure of them to place any bids.

#7 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

I think Tim was referring to the enlisted emblems, which were approved in 55 and the supply system started the predictable catch-up game. I suspect this was also the impetus for the Uniform Board to address standardization of Officer emblems, at some point in the late 50's they recommended to CMC a standard cap/collar design and it was approved May 1960. However the implementation date did not come about until 1962 in order for makers to retool their operations. As has been suggested many times before in posts like this, many career Officer's likely continued wearing their commissioning emblems until retirement. The one posted maybe an example of someone complying with the "spirit" of the order. ;) s/f Darrell

#8 Fly USMC

Fly USMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,056
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:05 AM

Winning bid was $236.01

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I was watching them. Decided I wouldn't spend that much on an altered set of emblems. I agree that they probably belonged to some one comissioned prior to 1962.

I have also seen many post 1962 pictures of Marine officers wearing pre 62 EGAs.

#9 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

Winning bid was $236.01

very steep price if you ask me :unsure:

Attached Images

• tt10a.jpg

#10 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

These could easily be cleaned up or have the anchor chains removed, the price was on the low side of what other 1937 sets have brought in the past. Singles still bring $125 on a good day. The bringing price is comensurate with what they were, a real set that were modified, that can be made 'original' again.
Mike

#11 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

Would these be considered a matching set? Looks like the head a necks are different.

#12 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,874 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

I had a lower bid...and agree it's not bad price compared to what some of these sets bring. I was estimating 400-450 simply because they're a conversation piece that would lead newer collectors to believe were definately period 'trenched'. However, it is December, and we know how that goes on eBay

#13 EGA-DOG

EGA-DOG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,989
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

Winning bid was $236.01

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I was watching them. Decided I wouldn't spend that much on an altered set of emblems. I agree that they probably belonged to some one comissioned prior to 1962.

I have also seen many post 1962 pictures of Marine officers wearing pre 62 EGAs.

Notice

Attached Images

• Graves_TC.jpg

#14 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users