LTC William Shimonek

marineamtracer

marineamtracer

No it's not the most excitting of uniforms but it has great history. Just came in the mail today. LTC. William Shimonek was the CO of 82nd Chemical Mortar Bn. in the Pacific. He moved up to Col. by the time of Luzon and was then Chemical Officer for XIV. Should also add that he was a 1929 West Pointer

Colin

post-5994-1260841762.jpg

marineamtracer

Thanks guys. Ya know Beau I'm surprised no one else jumped on it. I was lucky that when I asked she still had one set of this Chemical Corps brass so that got me for another 5 bucks but she had already sold his eagles and other insignia. So yes I do plan to restore and document that part of it. I have decided that I'm nit buying anything new that I can't totally id to someone specific so this one was a good match for me. Like I said before it's not an excitting uniform but has a good story.

Colin

• 4 weeks later...
marineamtracer

Well here is an update on Shimonek thanks to St. Louis. Not tons of information but there is some good stuff in there such as his Legion of Merit citation as well as his Bronze Star citation. Interestingly his awards also list the Silver Star although no citation is included.

Legion of Merit Citation reads:

"For exceptionally meritorious service conduct in the performance of outstanding services in the South Pacific area from August 1943-August 1944. Inititally as commander of the first Chemical Mortar Battalion to be employed against the enemy in the South Pacific area, and later as Chemical Warfare Officer, Colonel Shimonek pioneered in developing the technique of firing high explosives from a certain type of mortar in jungle operations. The mortars were used with telling effect against the enemy in both the *** and *** operations. He developed the use of the mortar for laying smoke screens for amphibious operations. Colonel Shimonek's proficiency, leadership, and ingenuity made the chemical mortar a valuable weapon for use of the infantry in difficult jungle warfare."

Bronze Star Citation:

"For the perfomance of meretorious services at Bouganville, Solomon Islands, on 30 January 1944. During the combined tank-infantry assault on Japanese pillboxes Colonel Shimonek distinguished himself while directing mortar fire from a forward observation post and by leading a party through an area swept by hostile fire in an effort to reach a group of soldiers engaged in the danger zone. Before attaining their objective, the party was pinned down by enemy fire. Colonel Shimonek, with boldness and courage, repeatedly exposed himself in directing the action and in the removal of the wounded to the rear. His coolness and alert action under fire set a fine example for men under his command." Entered the United States Military Academy from Michigan.

• 6 years later...

Is this post still active? I just ran across this forum. The Col you are referring to is my uncle! I would love to hear what you have found in your research!