• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 costa

costa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

any one have ww2 whistles used by nco's or officers? show markings and chains.

#2 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

Costa,

How many of them do you want to see? I like these silly things and they are just like potato chips to me and I could not buy just one.

A standard "MILITARY" whistle. The chain is non-standard brass but is buttoned to the pocket in the usual manner.

Whistle_Military.JPG

Here are a couple of military whistle variations. Both are the large style brass "tornado" style whistles.

Whistles.JPG

Here is a smaller style of "Acme" Thunderer type whistle. This one has the standard issue brass plated steel chain.

Whistle_Thunderer.JPG

Here is a photo of the standard chain worn on a Military Police whistle hook.

Whistle_hanger_pistols.JPG

Another photo of a different chain worn on another style of whistle hook.

Whistle_hanger_bar.JPG

#3 cwnorma

cwnorma
  • Members
    • Member ID: 594
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:25 AM

I know costa asked about WW2 whistles, but Here are some WW1 whistles:

Whistles.JPG

In WW1, the Army had a system of whistles to coordinate movement. The Battalion Commander had a siren whistle, the Company Commander had a kinglet whistle, and the Platoon and Squad leaders had thunderer whistles. The nickel plated siren whistles are marked "Made in England"

As a side note, all the WW1 thunderer type whistles I have seen have a machined brass toggle for attaching the chain. By WW2, some manufacturers switched over to a pressed brass nipple braised onto the whistle. One of the pictures above shows this brass nipple. It is probably impossible to tell when a whistle was made short of it actually being dated, but at least if you want to do a WW1 display, you need to have the toggle on your whistle, for WW2, it seems it can be either.

Chris

#4 costa

costa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:06 PM

nice guys. i asked just to see the different types of markings and chains. i have 3. one is from an uncle who was in the 45th. no markings at all but, the chain is not of the round link or s link type. its more like a twisted link chain. 2nd is marked military with no chain. 3rd i got yesterday out of a road side junk shop. marked military regulation made in usa. the whistles all all of the same style brass with the cork ball inside. nice items guys.

#5 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 599
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the great info Chris! I'll have to dig out my WWI whistles and take a look at them.

#6 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

Today, I stopped through a antique store and found two military whistles with chains. They neither one have anything on the mouth piece. On the side of the whistle is a shield with N.S. Meyer around the outside, inside the shield, it has a cross with meyer and New York with the "Y" common for both words. Inside he shield and outside the cross it says Army Navy equipment. I don't know why I got two, but now have to figure out what I'm going to do with them.

#7 Tino

Tino
  • Members
    • Member ID: 176
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:49 AM

Maybe a silly question but how was this type of whistle worn?
Were there regulation rules on how to attach the chain?
I am putting together a WWI mannequin and would like to add the whistle the correct way.
Thanks,
Tino

Attached Images

• whistle.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users