Model 1937 Service Collar Emblems

craig_pickrall

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know exactly where to post this, so I figured this thread is as good as any.

I wanted to show some of the differences between WWII, Korean War, post Korean War and current enlisted emblems in finish and design. I've pulled the left collar emblems from some of my sets so you can see the different finishes and attachment styles you will encounter.

Top row left is a standard M1937 WWII emblem with unmarred finish. This has a screw back and roller. Notice the un-pierced anchor ring.

Top row center is the M1937 (1951-1955) Korean War era clutch back emblem with gun metal blued finish.

Top row right is the M1937 (1951-1955) private purchase H&H hallmarked clutch back emblem. This has a deep chocolate brown finish. I'm fairly certain that this type emblem was worn post Korean War.

Bottom row left is also an M1937 (1951-1955) clutch back emblem. This emblem is not hallmarked, but is identical in design to the H&H hlmk'd set, so my guess is it's also a private purchase H&H. My scanner doesn't do it justice, but the finish is so nice on this emblem, that it looks almost like it's made from plastic like the mid WWII plastic pieces.

Bottom row center is the newly designed M1955 pattern emblem. This emblem is in chocolate brown and has clutch fasteners. These clutch back M1955 emblems can also be found with black finishes. Many collectors believe that the only year the chocolate brown emblems were worn was 1962, when officers switched to the M1955 pattern emblem. There is absolutely no way that you can confuse this pattern emblem with any other emblem used by the Marine Corps prior to 1955. Noticed the rope fouling the anchor. This was the first time COLLAR emblems were designed using this fouled rope.

Bottom row right is the M1955 through current pattern emblem. Notice that it has a coal black finish. It has a screw post and roller attachment. This is the type emblem worn by enlisted Marines today. This particular emblem is hallmarked KREW and is one from the collar set issued to me in 1969. If you notice the official Marine Corps seal today, this is the same emblem from that seal President Eisenhower signed into law in 1955. The current or M1955 emblem will never change again, except maybe in attachment types or color.

Gary

post-84-1167632591.jpg

I know, I know! Many people will say that they have WWII emblems and they look nothing like what I have shown in the previous post. The M1937 had so many different finishes, lack of finishes and amounts of wear, that collecting singles in the hopes of matching collar sets is an almost impossible task. This is one reason I don't collect singles anymore, unless of course, they're hallmarked. Hallmarked M1937 emblems are scarce!

Here are some different finishes I've encountered on the M1937 emblem. The top two left are pre WWII emblems, made sometime between 1937 and 1942. Notice the pierced anchor rings. I'm told that this step in production was discontinued for expediency purposes sometime in 1942, except on private purchase pieces and later war "economy" emblems made of plastic and lead alloy.

Gary

post-84-1167633190.jpg

As per my previous post, I hate leaving things unfinished and wanted to show the differences in screw post lengths for the M1937 collar and o/s cap emblems, so I went ahead and photographed a couple of my emblems.

As you can see, two identical M1937 (standard WWII pre 1943) bronze service emblems. The one on the left is for the collar and the right emblem is for the o/s cap.

Note the differences in screw post lengths.

Gary

post-84-1167793655.jpg

post-84-1167793672.jpg

post-84-1167793690.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

please note, that Overseas cap EGAs will also be depicted here, as they are the same size as the collar devices, the major differences being the lengths of the screwposts (see GLMs post for an example)

• 7 months later...

here are several M-37 long post collar emblems from my collection. Surprisingly, the one on top is long post but still has an eyelet from an overseas cap and some strings.

Long_Post_Front.jpg

• 7 months later...
robert60446

M1937 – collar version.

Hi guys,

I was able to add this M37 collar version EGA to my collection. Honestly I think it is late 40’s or early 50’s production, but it is speculation only at this point based on what I have seen on vet uniforms from that time period. Regardless of this, when not really rare, I’m happy to have it, especially because this example is featuring nice and “honest” wear …

post-2829-1207860442.jpg