WW1 Navy Corpsman to Rear Admiral Group

Belleauwood

What started as a pile of uniforms and a piece of paper with a name has evolved to the near completion of the second half of the Holy Grail of my WW1 USMC collection. What started as researching that piece of paper of a Hospital Apprentice 3rd Class - to 6th Reg. Marine in WW1 - to Navy Doctor in WW2 - to Rear Admiral in 1958 has been a hell of a lot of fun and hard work.

Group has it all - ALL citations - ALL uniforms - 1917 Navy - WW1 Marine - to WW2 Greys, Whites, Tans, Rear Admiral's Jacket and Visor. Letters, orders, photo album - on and on and some USMC paper that I've never seen. I'll post most of this group over the Christmas holidays. Long story Lotta' work - one killer group to a Navy Cross and double Silver Star recipient at Blanc Mont!

Preview below

post-3422-1260569317.jpg

post-3422-1260571541.jpg

Been a while since I posted anything - I'll try to get better in future efforts.

Merry Christmas to all the Forum Members and their loved ones! -

jeremiahcable

Wonderful grouping, Dennis. I particularly like the OLC on the Silver Star ribbon. It's one of those little touches that makes the uniform unique.

I thought I had gotten on the AGM site just as the catalog opened and hit the "Buy Now" button on this group as soon as my computer finished loading the page. I thought I had it...until I noticed that I was in India at the time and had an additional half hour off of central time - I was 30 minutes late!!! Agh!

This is an absolutely stunningly beautiful group and I can't wait to see the rest of it! I am glad that it's in good hands - I would not have taken it as far as you have, that's for sure. Great job!

Dave

Dennis,

How do you do it? Amazing!!!!! I wonder how many squids (no offense) ever had the oppurtunity to wear the fourragere later in their careers. Can't wait to see the rest.

WOW, that is super sexy!!! I think I remember seeing this offered for sale probably a year ago on AGM . . . is this the same grouping?

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on such a GREAT find!!

Kurt Barickman

Great group Dennis. If you ever get out here to God's Country to do more research on that sailor/md. please let me know.

Kurt Barickman

Dennis, this is such an amazing group.Please post more :thumbsup:

Kurt Barickman

Kurt,

I will be dedicating a binder on this sailor's full military career to the family this spring, hopefully. They are a wonderful family and have been so very helpful in providing me all the remaining and perhaps the most extraordinary Navy/USMC documents and paper I've seen to date. His Navy Cross and both Silver Stars were awarded for gallantry at Blanc Mont. He arrived at Belleauwood in late June for the last push. He acted as a runner until the wounded began to mount and began rendering first aid and removing wounded from the battlefield. From that point on, he was in every battle the 3/6 participated in, including the "March on the Rhine". I am also transcribing the 100+ wartime letters from France and Germany. I will have them printed and bound and distribute them to each of his family members as well as copies of the photos and docs from his album. A big project for sure, but boy what a pleasure to do.

The snowstorm has caused some delays in gettin' more photos done to post. - Will get it done soon.

Glad you like the effort

DJ

I have all of the following on a CD and am experimenting on the best way to put these images on the forum.

Below are the medals of Nathanial Hall Lufin. This amazing group spans WW1 thru WW2. Mr. Lufkin joined the Marine Corps, the day after war was declared by the U.S., went through basic training, and was discharged to join the Navy as a Hospital Apprentice. Upon completion of his training in the States, he was sent to France attached to the 3 Battalion, 6th Regiment, USMC. He completed further training in the rear sectors and went into the line, June 28, 1918 at Belleau Wood. From that moment forward, he was in every action that the 3/6 was engaged.

The medals are currently in the possession of the family.

post-3422-1261516013.jpg

post-3422-1261517359.jpgpost-3422-1261517372.jpg

post-3422-1261517389.jpgpost-3422-1261517405.jpg

The following images span the entire life of this truly great man. I hope some of you folks will enjoy the evolving attempt to pay tribute to Mr. Lufkin

post-3422-1261517747.jpg post-3422-1261517756.jpg

post-3422-1261517764.jpg post-3422-1261517772.jpg

The last photo of this sequence is of Mr. Lufkin after he retired from medicene as an important physician in his community. All the uniforms pictured (and others to be photographed later) are part of this collection.