6 replies to this topic

#1 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,847 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:39 AM

finally, the last piece I have for now, a pair of dress collar Model 1937 EGAs by Gemsco. Once again, photos from USMC-QM. More EGAs to appear as I find them!

Attached Images

• M1937_Dress_Collar_Gemsco.jpg

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Members
    • Member ID: 136
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

1937 pattern
H&H

Attached Images

• 109.jpg

#3 Mark

Mark
  • Members
    • Member ID: 136
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

1937 pattern
stamped design
H&H

Attached Images

• 101.jpg

#4 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,553 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

here are the earlier M37 pieces, when the loop on the top of the anchor was still being cut-out...

Is this also an early 1937 pattern, with the loop cut out? I had thought it was until I saw this post: http://www.usmilitar...d...ost&p=24188

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

Bob,

This is an officers service collar emblem from mid-WWII. Notice the applied continents. That's a dead giveaway of an officer quality emblem. I believe H&H came out with this pattern in the late 1942 - early 1943 time period. This is a fairly common officer emblem to find, but has always been one of my favorites, because of the sterling mark with its direct link to strategic materials bans of WWII. Every officer's collar emblem I can recall has always had the anchor ring cut out, maybe because officers had to buy their own emblems, thus superior quality emblems and enlisted men had theirs issued. Enlisted collar emblem anchor rings were cut out from the introduction of EM collar emblems in 1920 until the massive build up of the Corps during 1942, when this part of the stamping process was eliminated on bronze EM emblems. That rule doesn't apply on mid to late WWII EM plastic (bakelite) or EconoLead emblems. Those, for the most part, had cut out rings.

Here is the entire set of H&H officer's emblems like your new "bird" from mid WWII. Nice find in that condition!

Gary

Attached Images

• HH_squatters_fr.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 11 July 2007 - 09:55 AM.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:00 AM

...and the sterling composition also provided for extremely high relief in the detail of the eagle and wings 

Edited by Brig, 14 May 2014 - 12:51 PM.
quotes

#7 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users