USMC bandsman uniform picture, what era?

duarte1223

duarte1223

I picked up this picture at the local flea market, its of a USMC Band Member, I think in the late 20s to early 30s, but I wanted to get more opinions. The program was in the same box as the picture, but I'm not sure if they go together. The sharpshooter badge is just something else I added for the photo.

Adam

post-101-1181318832.jpg

collectsmedals

I could not help but notice that there is a date on the cover, October 11, 1937.

collectsmedals

Okay, I didn't read it close enough. I think the picture and the program go together and would be from the same era.

Bob Hudson
Okay, I didn't read it close enough. I think the picture and the program go together and would be from the same era.

If they were someone's keepsakes from a career as a Marine Corps bandsman they could be a decade or two apart in age. I'll change the title of this thread to attract more of the folks who can put a date on vintage USMC uniforms.

jeremiahcable

Great Photo Adam! I'll point this one out to Dirk as he is getting to be "wicked good" at old photos. The EGAs would be a big help in dating but they look too blurred even though I still want to say they are the 20s stubby wing pattern. The hair style is also more or a 20s-early 30s cut as well. I'm leaning toward the 20s.

Jeremiah

That photo looks earlier then the program......I agree with Jeremiah pre-1937 based on the cardboard frame....

From the shooting badges it would be some time before they switched to the Army style badges in the 1920s, I don't remember the exact date. Judging form the shape and relative size I would say they are top to bottom Rifle Marksman, Pistol Marksman, and Pistol Sharpshooter but what are the three things hovering around them? The bottom one appear to be connected to the one on the left or maybe both.