7 replies to this topic

#1 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,769 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:42 AM

I have a piece like this in my collection, I'm looking for an era? I've heard 1920s-30s, and perhaps a Model 1937. Notice the thin, pointed wings of the eagle and the bulbous globe. Marked 'Made in England'

Attached Images

• EgaEmEngland.jpg

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

Brig, that is a 1921 pattern dress enlisted EGA.

Jeremiah

#3 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,769 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:35 PM

finally, some progress. so the enlisted collar EGAs were designed a year after the M1920 cover ones, similar to the officer pieces for 36 and 37?

#4 2ad82recon

2ad82recon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6
  • 994 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:19 PM

Brig..is this EGA made by Gaunt of London.....if so i beleive that these were made for the Embassy Guard Marines in London

Regards

Lloyd

#5 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

Since it was made in England I would guess it was not made to specs so it would not be a Model anything but I would guess, like you said it is from the 1920s or 30s. I never could figure out why they were made in England, while they are not common there are quite a few around. It dose not seem like it would be profitable to make them in England and ship them to the States and compete with the ones made here and the only Marines in England were embassy guards and advisors so it dose not seem like there would be much of a market there either. Just one of the great mysteries of collecting I guess.

#6 2ad82recon

2ad82recon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6
  • 994 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:39 PM

Hi QED4...just to muddy the waters a bit more there were more marines in England than first thought.

Dont forget we not only had Embasy guards but Shipboard marines,USMC observers and also USMC trainee Night Fighter pilots i personally know of 2 USAAF/RAF airfields that had USMC/USN night fighter pilot trainees stationed at it during 1944

Regards

Lloyd

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,769 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

here's the Gaunt made emblem in my collection. broken stabilizing pin. nice dress emblem

Attached Images

• 102_0108.JPG
  • M20_England_2.jpg
  • M20_England_1.jpg

#8 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:34 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users