Model 1914-1922 Service Cover/Cap Emblems

Bob Hudson

1916 pattern Enlisted cap EGA. This has the longitude and latitude lines that were used only from 1912-1936. The nut has a distinctive conical shape to it to that marks it as WWI vintage. In 2006, these were selling for about $70-100.

ega1044front.jpg

ega1044back.jpg

ega1044side.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
teufelhunde.ret

Indeed your seller is right - a pre WW1 cover emblem and has the correct roller. Seen on helmets and campaign covers right into the 1920's. This link will take you to a EGA reference page, when on post 6 you will see an excellent photo comparison and text on how this emblem is often confused with those preceding 1900. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ost&p=47892

s/f Darrell

Thanks Darrell. I paid (gulp!) $50 for it at the gunshow I attended today. I've always heard that where the anchor connects to the wing, those are generally considered to be early ones so I took a chance. He had a second one of these that he had grouped with an incomplete (missing ribbon) common French medal and a generic son in service pin but he had that group priced for $140. That seemed a bit steep. I also purchased a nice WWII helmet today which I'll post in the appropriate section. Again, thanks for your input. Kim

teufelhunde.ret

Kim, that is a fair price. An identical one (not quite as good) sold on ebay this morning for 45. and shipping. A year ago these were selling in the 100-175 range depending on condition & if correct roller/washer was present.

Unless the other EGA was an earlier or pristine emblem - you were right on passing it up. ;)