Tonkin Gulf Fighter Pilot

CROC

Hi,

1967, has been a very important year for USN flight equipment with the delivery of the new SV2-MK6 survival sets and GS/FRP1 Nomex gloves to carrier units. MK6 Life preserver is the first horse collar LP that will be redesignated LPA1 in late 60s.

This VF 162 pilot is wearing a 1965 MIL-C-81126A Coverall Flying Men's High Temperature Resistant with Navy brown flight boots modified with vibram sole.

The G suit is a MK2A g suit MIL-C-23955

The helmet is an APH6A MIL-H-22995 with A13A oxygen mask MIL-M-6482B

Over the PR modified MA2 Torso harness MIL-S-19089A he wears the two new items the SV2 MIL-V-81523 (13 march 1967) and the MK 6 life preserver (august 1967)

The new GS/FRP1 gloves MIL-G-81188A were adopted in 9 january 67.

post-1289-1259140590.jpg

Thanks,

VF 162 was flying Crusader, but this flight equipment was standard for any carrier jet aviator (F8, A4, F4, A6, A7...), you have only small variations in oxygen mask plug system (no mini-regulator for Intruder for exemple) and legs restraints depending of the ejection seat version.

For exemple I enclose you views of a VA 52 APH6D Helmet, you can see that the A13A oxygen mask connector is different it is connected to the MK GRU 5 Seat mounted oxygen regulator Model 29252

post-1289-1259233017.jpg

Legs restraints of the MK GRU5 Seat used on A6A/B KA6D Intruder are only two for exemple (one for each leg)

post-1289-1259234559.jpg

For A1 the history is different, MA2 Torso harness was only used by 1967 when the Stanley Ejection System was introduced, by this date the NS3 Parachute was replaced by NS5 Seat parachute wich required pilots to wear torso harness.

Best Croc

Thanks Franck

Best from FL 450 !!!!!!!!

post-1289-1259310849.jpg

hmmm this is kind of High Altitude USN MK-IV Pressure Suit ??? In what kid of aircraft it was used???

Thanks,

JK

Yves,

I suppose that it's the "Boris" version of the Mk IV? :thumbsup:

I prepare an article about first french strato gears for Militaria for next year.

Cheers

Franck

Thanks JK,

This pressure suit is the USN MK IV (only the life preserver is a MK III) it was used by 1958 for crews flying over 50000 Ft : F8U Crusader, F4D1 Phantom, F11F Tiger and A3J / RA5C in early 60s.

Best

Croc

Thanks Franck

Best from FL 450 !!!!!!!!

post-1289-1259310849.jpg

Great displays, thank you. I have a question. When did Naval Aviators go to wearing black boots? When I went into the Navy in '72, I worked the flight deck of USS Kitty Hawk. No one was wearing brown boots. When did they shift?

Thanks again,

Steve hesson

Thanks JK,

This pressure suit is the USN MK IV (only the life preserver is a MK III) it was used by 1958 for crews flying over 50000 Ft : F8U Crusader, F4D1 Phantom, F11F Tiger and A3J / RA5C in early 60s.

Best

Croc

Thanks for info Croc!!!! This suit is very neat item and expensive...

regards,

JK

marineamtracer

Very impressive Croc! Also very interesting that you display a VF162 pilot. I just purchased an Aviation Green blouse from Bob Hudson which is ID'ed to Bob Punches who flew the Crusader with 162 on two cruises to Nam. It's a blank slate but I do plan on restoring it properly. Very nice display Croc!

Hi,

Nice jacket, you can see VF 162 members during 1967 cruise, Lt Punches is on bottom row

post-1289-1259585766.jpg

Steve, black flight boots (MIL-B-21408 Boots Safety ) were introduced by 1970 cruises, but I don't know the exact date of this Mil Spé, you can see 'em on the following 1970 cruise photo aboard USS Kitty Hawk