• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Holloman

Holloman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 53
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

I picked up some boots the other day, and I can't figure out the age on them.

They are all-leather, with nails on the sole, which reads "Biltrite", and "Vulcan".

Attached Images

• 1c.jpg
  • 1d.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 January 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#2 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:21 PM

Do they have steel toes? I think they are AF issue boots used on the flight line by air crew and mechanics. They should be marked inside.

#3 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:11 AM

Those appear to be the standard black boots used by all services in the 1960's. In the late '60's to early '70's time period they changed these to have the bonded rather than the stitched and nailed sole. I was issued two pairs of boots identical to yours at Parris Island in 1967.

#4 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:19 AM

After reading Greg's comment I went off to do some checking. I came up with the following info to support his remarks.

These boots came into the system sometime after 1956 and by the mid 1960's they were being phased out and replaced by the BLACK COMBAT BOOT WITH DIRECT MOLDED SOLE (DMS). I'm not sure what the final replacement dates were but they probably weren't made after about 1966 or 67. The pics shown are from a June, 1966 manual.

BLACK_BOOT_1.jpg
BLACK_BOOT_2.jpg
BLACK_BOOT_3.jpg
BLACK_BOOT_4.jpg
BLACK_BOOT_5.jpg

#5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:46 AM

Best I can recall, the two pair I got at Parris Island were the only ones I ever got issued with nailed and stitched soles. All the boots that came after that had the direct molded sole which held up to getting wet much better.

#6 deros

deros
  • Members
    • Member ID: 313
  • 359 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

Those boots are post 62 'Macnamara' boots, nicknamed after the Secretary of Defense, Robert Macnamara and the sweeping changes he brought into the services, not least of them a generic fatigue / field uniform for the entire armed forces. They replaced both the toecapped boot that had seen service from the 50's in brown and black and the dark brown hi top fleshout boondockers of the Marine corps. They were the mainstay of the US Armed forces until the zigzag soled DMS boots. They saw extensive use in Vietnam before the tropical boot and alongside it for flight crews as a standing order (the fire retardant qualities of the jungle boot being unsatisfactory) but also can be seen in use in the field into the late 60's presumably where personal preference or supply difficulties have dictated the need to use them.

#7 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:21 AM

I wore many pairs of these in the USAF from 1966 to 1970. Up until about 1967 or 68, you could buy them at clothing sales for about $5.00 a pair! Those were the days !

#8 BlueTrain

BlueTrain
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 159,833
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

Those were the kind I was issued when I went in the army in 1964. I found them very comfortable. When I finally got to my final duty unit, which was a divisional headquarters, I noticed that the more fashionable soldiers purchased Corcoran jump boots. I never did, though. Later, I was issued a pair of the direct molded sole version when I was in the D.C. National Guard but they were never comfortable. I suspect they were not the correct size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users