ACk. Christ Norman Hennum USMCR Iwo Jima KIA

scottplen

Assistant Cook(believe one rank above Pvt) Christ N Hennum USMCR Killed in Assault on Iwo Jima V.I.

as member Of Hq. Co. 3rd Battalion 28th Marines 5th Marine Div.

Killed by GSW to the lower body and shell fragments to the head and face by organized enemy resistance(japanese forces)

3rd battalion was to cut of Mt. Surabachi after taking airfield

He was born May 5 1910 from Norwegian Parents worked at Sears and robucks Co as for 14 yrs Married to Lynda Hennum

He was Quailified on the M1 Carbine

He was Postumously awarded the Purple Heart, Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal ,Marine Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon with Star For Assault Troops of 5th

ampibious Corps,Reinforced Service on Iwo Jima Volcanic Island and the WWII Victory medal

post-620-1258676927.jpg

post-620-1258676941.jpg

Nice........

When you're picking up nice pieces like this I can only imagine you'll be wanting to get rid of those nasty armored items. ;)

Nice find. Unusual USMC rank. Born in 1910, he was nearly 33 years old when he died at Iwo. Wonder if he was a draftee? Congrats......Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Nice find. Unusual USMC rank. Born in 1910, he was nearly 33 years old when he gied at Iwo. Wonder if he was a draftee? Congrats......Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Does anyone Know about this rank? I was told its kind of like a specilist type rank equvilent to pvt? Found a lot of Assistant cooks KIA on Iwo ?Was told by an Old Marine alot of them were sent in as replacements most were riflemen and machinegunners? I think Ack rank was only used from 1920s -1940s anybody have some info? He was an enlistee

Nice !!

Very unusual rank too !! But...always remember...a marine is a rifleman first !! :thumbsup:

He just happened to cook too !!

Vic

Thanks Guys

for some reason these simple Pousthumous Purple hearts speak to me. The regular guy like the Private the Assistant cook /Rifleman who was 33 yrs old just show what a great generation they really were ! In records/ research states he was in the USMC prior and Discharged and instead of staying at his safe Sears and Robucks job for $50 week He Enlisted in the USMCR and assigned to active duty dec 21 1944 ,promoted PFC 28 june 1944 and assistant cook 21 nov. 1944 and lost his life in the service of his country 19 February 1945 during operations on Iwo Jima ! I wonder if he enlisted because he thought the war was passing him by ? If so he sure caught up with it! In my opinion just a brave Devil Dog !!! May he rest in Peace!

sorry i get a bit sappy !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks Guys

for some reason these simple Pousthumous Purple hearts speak to me. The regular guy like the Private the Assistant cook /Rifleman who was 33 yrs old just show what a great generation they really were ! In records/ research states he was in the USMC prior and Discharged and instead of staying at his safe Sears and Robucks job for $50 week He Enlisted in the USMCR and assigned to active duty dec 21 1944 ,promoted PFC 28 june 1944 and assistant cook 21 nov. 1944 and lost his life in the service of his country 19 February 1945 during operations on Iwo Jima ! I wonder if he enlisted because he thought the war was passing him by ? If so he sure caught up with it! In my opinion just a brave Devil Dog !!! May he rest in Peace!

sorry i get a bit sappy !

I hear ya Scott !! Although not a re-enlistment like your Marine, I have a posthumous SSM/PH grouping to an Army SFC who was into his 40s when he was killed-in-action during the very early stages of the Vietnam War while serving with the 1st Division. I'm sure he was viewed as "the old man" by his young grunts much like your Marine !!

Thanks for bumping this thread in honor of the 56th Anniveerssary of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Vic

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I found it while doing a search on ACK and Marines in World War II. My estranged grandfather was in the Pacific I think from about 1942 and maybe four years after that? Not sure. I obtained a copy of his discharge papers a while back and can't seem to find then again.

It was interesting to learn he was an assistant cook. I have a photo of him in uniform with a couple of service decorations and have a photo of dead Japanese soldiers on a beach somewhere and a another of a base camp on an island.

I was just wondering how a person got picked to be a cook? Would they have started out at that from the beginning? Would they have been in any combat potentially? He was also a rifleman, of course.

It sounds like nowhere was safe to be in the Pacific and it must not have been an easy job to be a cook with the food shortages at times.

He also contracted malaria.

When I find the papers, I am assuming I will find out what division he served in so I could figure out where he was in the war.

Thanks for any ideas. I can't find much online about this rank.

Catherine

From what i could figure out ACK was a speciality i Think it was equeal or right below a corpral

I was told by an old marine you were a Rifleman 1st no matter what ! And you only needed so many cooks !

This guy was in the Assualt wave on feb 19 1945 ! also told most asst. cooks were asst. machinegunners and asst flameflowers !! but not 100% sure if anyone know let us know !!! :think:

From what i could figure out ACK was a speciality i Think it was equeal or right below a corpral

I was told by an old marine you were a Rifleman 1st no matter what ! And you only needed so many cooks !

This guy was in the Assualt wave on feb 19 1945 ! also told most asst. cooks were asst. machinegunners and asst flameflowers !! but not 100% sure if anyone know let us know !!! :think:

Hey !!

Yup !! In fact there's a scene in The Pacific where the mortarmen are told by the CO that just because their specialty is mortars doesn't mean that they don't have to pick up a rifle and go on patrols. Again, you're always a riflemen first.

My Dad was an NCO in charge of 3 anti-aircraft guns but when there were no enemy planes to shoot at they pulled duty as infantry when need be and certainly in big battles like Cassino. In fact, he was trained as a sapper as well so he could wire and destroy his guns if they were in a precarious situation.

Vic

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...