Info on WW2 USMC Gen.

EGA-DOG

I am trying to find inormation on USMC General George O. Van Orden 3rd Marine Div WW2. I have one of his uniforms and I would like to restore it for display.The uniform was given to me 10 years ago by John Wallace. If someone could point me in the right direction, for John is hard to get in touch with.

O.K. this is what Igot so far:

Won Navy Cross on Bouganville

Father of Marine snipers

Tested the Jouhnson rifle before WW2

I have a picture of him but I can't get it small enough to post.There is a picture of him in the book,"Death From Afar." Unfortunately my dad sold his copy years ago.

Here is a picture of his dad Haiti 1915.Far right.Standing.

post-7989-1258692808.jpg

In the pre-1941 USMC Muster Rolls his dad is listed as George Van Orden while the son is listed as George O. Van Orden.

The dad had quite a role to play in Haiti. He retired as a Col. in August 1923.

The son meanwhile started out as an enlisted man, enlistting 29 May 1925 in Baltimore. He went straight to the nearby Marine Barracks at Annapolis and must have been a heck of a shot because by June 1925 he was taking part in a rifle competition:

vanofJun25a.jpg

He got his commission in March 1928:

vanofMarch28a.jpg

And look who was next to him on the roster during their basic instruction as freshly-minted 2nd Lts:

vanofApr28a.jpg

It's kind of interesting to look at his record in the monthly muster rolls because he was constantly moving from one place to the other. From 1928-36 (when he made Captain) he was in Haiti, at Pensacola, aboard various ships, but seemingly every month traveled to do temporary duty with a rifle team detachment. In 1937 he became CO of the Marine Detachment, Rifle Range, Cape May, New Jersey.

In 1940 when the Marines were evaluating the Johnson rifle, he was CO of Rifle Range Detachment, Post Service, Battalion, Marine Barracks, Quantico, Virginia.

Wow, that's some great info.Thanks for taking the time to look it up.Seems like the Van Orden family was some career Marines.I wish I had paid more attension when I was in the presence of his militaria. EGA's, shoulder boards, shooting badges.I'm sure that some of the stuff was his fathers.I'm lucky to have the uniform.Can't wait to restore it.

Stinger Gunner USMC

Your best bet would be the NARA. Since he retired as a General Officer, I would guess that he served a while after the end of WWII. His photo in the 3rd Marine Division history, printed in 1946 lists him as a LT Colonel. Also of interest is that his portrait in that book shows him wearing a FMF-PAC Supply SSI. I'm guessing that was his unit before Commanding 3rd Marine Regiment. His NARA file will not yet be archival but they will give you a list of assignments and awards received along with citations.

Man you guys are the greatest! Thanks. My photo shows him as a full Colonel.I don't think he retired until the 50's.When he opened his gun store in VA alot of Marines came to buy stuff from him.They called him General Van Orden.Which is how I think John came to get his militaria.John ran the FBI shooting range in Quantico, and Van Orden's shop recommended firearms to the FBI.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I went to VMI with General Van Orden's son. The son, also George, is a retired Marine LtC and was a tremendous shot. He was on the Marine Corps rifle team which won many trophies including the Collier Trophy. I'm sure that if you require information, George would be happy to help. I am in contact with him daily and will be happy to forward your email address or whatever to him. Let me know

• 2 years later...
flora mason van orden

I am the 76 year old daughter of General George Owen Van Orden. I am a new member. I may have some information on where you can get items for the restoration of his uniform. His son, Col. George Mason Van Orden, was just killed in an auto accident when he was at a stopsign in Midlothian, VA. His son, a retired Marine, George Kelley Van Orden, has a lot of his grandaddy's belongings. Our grandfather was Col. George Van Orden, youngest (17) to ever graduate from Annapolis (Class of 1897) who was in the calvary and the Spanish American War, as well as in Haiti, Cuba, etc. He was on the board of 3 that chose the site of Quantico. My mother, Flora Mitchell Van Orden, designed the S&W Combat Masterpiece.and other things for her 'boys' in the service to protect themselves. My brother asked for the congressional investigation to fix the M-16 so it wouldn't jam in combat conditions. We have some items still in Triangle, but they are very worn. Daddy was a 33rd Degree Mason also. I would like to invite you all to the funeral in Arlington on June 19, at 1 p.m. My mother is in the site that my brother will be interred in. My father is next to her and the grandparents are next to them. We hope the General Van Orden march will be played if the MC Band can get it together in time.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great uniform. Modern shooting badges, I take it? I know from experience how hard it can be to find period originals for a restoration. I have been after one in bronze for years, had to settle for a post war one myself for the time being

Catfishcraig

Great job and thank you for all of the work you put into this. What a well deserving Marine and hope that his legacy will never be forgotten.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the comments. Brig, they are current model shooting badges. I'm still searching for a Wharton Trophy badge.