PARATROOPER GLOVES FOR REVIEW

101STCOLLECTOR

101STCOLLECTOR

Dear fellow collectors

Just wondering if any red flag found on this gloves.... Pleae, don´t hesitate to post your thoughts

All the best

José

post-5486-1258386007.jpg

Johan Willaert
I´ll let you know, if you are interested

Well, you will have to ask the question first then....

FYI the last ones I saw were sold on this board for 75Dollars...

And again, there's no such thing as paratrooper gloves.... They were a general QM item issued to every GI that needed them...

Here's the Ebay auction for reference...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300365328540

Hi johan

totally agree, there is no such thing as Airborne gloves, the correct title being horsriding gloves un-lined.

In fact this style although used by airborne troops was actualy used less than the model without the strap as many period photographs will back up.

I see the auction, what a crazy price for a pair of NON airborne gloves, but then again anything listed on eBay with airborne in the title gets peolpe excited!!!

Bruce

Hi johan

totally agree, there is no such thing as Airborne gloves, the correct title being horsriding gloves un-lined.

In fact this style although used by airborne troops was actualy used less than the model without the strap as many period photographs will back up.

I see the auction, what a crazy price for a pair of NON airborne gloves, but then again anything listed on eBay with airborne in the title gets peolpe excited!!!

Bruce

Holy *&% !! - I'll bet the "rooster" is crowing in the barnyard over that auction !!

While they are among non-airborne specific items that saw use by airborne troops, that price is hard to swallow. And though I didn't bother to count how many bidders there were, I notice that there were 26 bids. It never ceases to amaze me . . .

With that price as a new benchmark, we'll probably see lefts and rights listed separately from now on :lol:

Best regards,

Paul

Really hard to tell without them in hand, but as I have a pair of the first generation WPG repros I'd like to tell you that the repros are marked in exactly the same way. Dates included. I would not bid without them in hand, just my thoughts but they just look too similar to the repros

T. Bowers

Really hard to tell without them in hand, but as I have a pair of the first generation WPG repros I'd like to tell you that the repros are marked in exactly the same way. Dates included. I would not bid without them in hand, just my thoughts but they just look too similar to the repros

T. Bowers

By the way, I'm not a paratrooper guy, I collect Cavalry and have an original pair of the winter lined variety. The association with paratroops always pushes the prices of the originals too high for my blood.

Tom Bowers

General Apathy

Hi everyone, well just seeing the price that these gloves have gone for $1.517.00 probably makes us all go looking in our collections to find the pair that we have. :blink:

So let me get going looking for my pair, if your interested they are shown on page 104 of ' Doughboy to G.I.' and with a written letter of guarentee that they are one in the same pair as shown. Only $1.650 insured post :lol:

Please consider this offer, ex-wife and eighteen year old teenager to support ( in fact 18 today, 17th November ) :pinch:

Other than that I am off down the bank deposit on Wednesday and lock those little suckers away safely, didn't realise that I had so much value in my life. :think: ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

I think you have the right idea Ken. I can remember how badly I felt I had been ripped off when I paid $75 for my pair.

General Apathy
I think you have the right idea Ken. I can remember how badly I felt I had been ripped off when I paid $75 for my pair.

Hi Craig, about ten years ago at a little show in the states I remember a dealer with two sets of these gloves and he was asking 300 USD a pair. If the price paid on eBay of 1,517 USD was the current price on every pair then 300 USD a pair would have been a great investment.

But like you, I imagine when we got into all this stuff when we started collecting it was never about the money it was about the history and the stories of the men who wore the items.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi All,

Nice topic. They are cavalry gloves, isn't it?

Many times I think how many former cavalrymen, who joined airborne forces early WWII, took their equipment from cavalry regiments to their new PIRs, GIRs or USAAF. For instance, there was such a glider pilot as 1st Lt. James W. Andrew -- he was former cavalryman from Ft. Riley. I think that such men might have then various interesting cavalry-related items in their new air force or airborne units.

Best regards

Greg

General Apathy
Hi All,

Nice topic. They are cavalry gloves, isn't it?

Many times I think how many former cavalrymen, who joined airborne forces early WWII, took their equipment from cavalry regiments to their new PIRs, GIRs or USAAF. For instance, there was such a glider pilot as 1st Lt. James W. Andrew -- he was former cavalryman from Ft. Riley. I think that such men might have then various interesting cavalry-related items in their new air force or airborne units.

Best regards

Greg

Hi Greg, I have been looking for posts from you for sometime and thought that I was not seeing any :think:

So Welcome home :thumbsup: ;)

Yes they are cavalry gloves, I was always amused when people used to come in the store and ask me for Airborne knife, fork and spoon, or an Airborne pistol belt, I was always waiting for the question do you have any Airborne hankies, or maybe Airborne water for their waterbottles.

Perhaps I should try that one on eBay, ' for sale airborne water for your Airborne canteens, please state when purchasing whether you require 82nd or 101st water. ' :think:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Greg, I have been looking for posts from you for sometime and thought that I was not seeing any :think:

So Welcome home :thumbsup: ;)

Yes they are cavalry gloves, I was always amused when people used to come in the store and ask me for Airborne knife, fork and spoon, or an Airborne pistol belt, I was always waiting for the question do you have any Airborne hankies, or maybe Airborne water for their waterbottles.

Perhaps I should try that one on eBay, ' for sale airborne water for your Airborne canteens, please state when purchasing whether you require 82nd or 101st water. ' :think:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Whoa pardner! I do have a Airborne hankie! Parachute with Paratrooper embroidered in one corner.

Ray

General Apathy
Whoa pardner! I do have a Airborne hankie! Parachute with Paratrooper embroidered in one corner.

Ray

Hi Ray, no sorry Ray that doesn't qualify that's a ' sweetheart ' type hankie :lol: , I'm talking regular unembroidered square piece of o.d. material blow your nose type ' Airborne ' hankie. :blink:

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy
And I bet a lot would fall for that one, Lewis. B):lol:

Erwin

Hi Erwin, well in fact's it's already gone down a storm so I have expanded the business and now doing 4th Armored Divison water, how many litres do you want, hey order now special offer reduced price for Christmas orders. :lol::lol: :pinch: :thumbsup:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi everyone, well just seeing the price that these gloves have gone for $1.517.00 probably makes us all go looking in our collections to find the pair that we have. :blink:

So let me get going looking for my pair, if your interested they are shown on page 104 of ' Doughboy to G.I.' and with a written letter of guarentee that they are one in the same pair as shown. Only $1.650 insured post :lol:

Please consider this offer, ex-wife and eighteen year old teenager to support ( in fact 18 today, 17th November ) :pinch:

Other than that I am off down the bank deposit on Wednesday and lock those little suckers away safely, didn't realise that I had so much value in my life. :think: ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Ken. Wish your daughter Happy Birthday from me. Robert

there grow up fast don't they

Well, as I have said many times before. I am the the-rooster on ebay. I have collected for well over 20 years and know more than most of you hens out there. So let's just leave it at that. Now exactly how much do you think these gloves would have realized if I said they are cavalry riding gloves? About 50.00 My way, 1517.00...The look on your faces...PRICELESS! The airborne used these gloves during the D-day jump not late. I will say this agian, get out of your parents basement from time to time! COCK-A-DOODLE-DO :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Ken. Wish your daughter Happy Birthday from me. Robert

there grow up fast don't they

Hi Robert, thanks for the birthday wishes for my daughter, as you say they are children for so short a period, maybe even a shorter period now than when we were childern. ;)

Life is for fun and this thread is fun. :lol::lol::lol: :thumbsup:

Cheers ( Lewis )