WWII Tank Destroyer Photo Grouping

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I forgot I had this group until today, There are atons of photos, but I am only showing a few here. Belonged to a 3rd Army man. I believe the vehicles they are in are Tank Destroyers (please correct me If I am wrong). Most of these photos are captioned on the back from either Germany or Austria.

Picture144-1.jpg

Picture148.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Picture153.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Picture156.jpg

Charlie Flick

Hi Schottzie:

Neat pics. I especially like the first one of the Sgt. with the private purchase shoulder holster for his .45.

The armored vehicles seen in photos 5 and 6 are not Tank Destroyers but, instead, appear to me to be the M40 Gun Motor Carriage which mounted a 155 MM gun. This was a self propelled armored artillery piece intended for indirect fire, not direct fire as one would need for AT use. However, on occasion the M40 was indeed employed to take out fixed positions such as pillboxes with direct fire. It was a successful design which replaced the somewhat similar M12 GMC. It carried a big stick with that 155 gun.

Thanks for the post.

Charlie Flick

CNY Militaria

Thats the info I was looking for! Thank you, it was very informative. The first picture is one of my favorites as well!

Justin

CNY Militaria

Its hard to tell from the pic, but they are standing on another person with his hands on his head. I am assuming its a posed shot with a buddy on the ground.

As Charlie said; self-propelled artillery unit with 155mm guns.

The big guys!

I noticed a soldier wearing an armored triangle on his shoulder .... can you make out the number?

Very interesting grouping, I love it.

Erwin

CNY Militaria

Too hard to tellErwin, but it is definitely 2 digits. He looks like Radar from MASH as well, lol.

Nice pics.

#2 looks to be the Karlstor in central Munich.

The picture next to the last is also the Karlsplatz in Munich.

Stephan