The Sullivans

navrocky

For the umpteenth time I just watched the movie, THE SULLIVANS. And I cried again! This time there is a difference however as I now have an appreciative audience on which to ask..." does it ever get easy to watch?" As an ex-Navy man myself, I still can't believe that all five went down with the Juneau on at fateful day near the Solomons and I still weep uncontrollably when Mr. Sullivan's caboose passes the water tower as he waves to am empty platform where his sons always greeted their "old man.' when he train went by. I know there was a lot of "Hollywood" in the movie, but the literal meaning of the movie's theme is still one of the most germaine of Military films ever made. After the actual event, a lot of important regulations emitted from the Department of the Navy and as a Navy man, I still fill with pride when I watch it.

Not only was it the content of the movie that moves even the hardest of us seniors, but also it subliminally tells the story about the men and women we honor by collecting these militaria articles that so vividly remind us of those times, sacrifices, from the men and woman of those times whose legacy evaporates daily. Has it been lost in the 50-60 years that have elapsed? Nowadays, I cannot imagine any younger person, forever changed by today's events, those shaping those events, and those of recent time, would have the slightest appreciation of what message this movie conveys and the feeling I get reflecting back on how this Country once was when it was called to War in December 1941. And that's a shame.

I was wondering if anyone on this site, and who reads this message, can add some insights into this marvelous story or share their feelings to make sure the "Greatest Generation" is never completely gone to another place. Like where the Sullivan's are.

And Navy beat Notre Dame. How can it get any better!?!

Thanks

In the early 90s I was an Assistant Professor of Military Science at the University of Northern Iowa, not far from Waterloo, Iowa where the Sullivan brothers grew up. On November 13, 1992, I attended the 50th Anniversary commemoration of the sinking of the Juneau in Waterloo. One of the surviving crew members of the Juneau was there and there was also a Sullivan family member; if I remember correctly the daughter of their sister. When the crew member spoke he indicated that he thought that at least one of the brothers had survived the sinking but slipped off a lifeboat and drowned. I also recall talk that all of the Purple Hearts given to their mother had long ago disappeared. I have a few post cards and and a commemorative cover from the event that I'll post here once I can find them.

I'm always reminded that it was a time when people had a respect for, and a duty to, this nation. The Sullivan's as so many others of that generation did not hesitate to fulfill that duty.

Well said. Thanks.

I'm always reminded that it was a time when people had a respect for, and a duty to, this nation. The Sullivan's as so many others of that generation did not hesitate to fulfill that duty.

Postcards from the Grout Museum of History and Science which hosted the event. Top: Rear Admiral Clark H. Woodward presents Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Sullivan five Purple Hearts, awarded posthumously for the valor of their five sons who died November 13, 1942. Bottom: The five Sullivan brothers just after they have been placed in the crew of the cruiser Juneau, Commissioned February 14, 1942. Left to right they are Joseph, Francis, Albert, Madison, and George.

post-146-1258220404.jpg

Top: The U.S.S. Sullivans was launched on April 4, 1943, and was sponsored by Mrs. Thomas I. Sullivan, the mother of the five brothers for whom the ship was named. Bottom: The U.S.S. Juneau broke in two and disappeared 20 seconds after a second torpedo strike on November 13, 1942, resulting in the loss of nearly the entire crew including the five Sullivan brothers.

post-146-1258220605.jpg

Sullivan Park was dedicated in the name of the five brothers on September 19, 1964 and is located near the site of the family's original home in Waterloo, Iowa.

post-146-1258220728.jpg

What a splendid display of Sullivan memorabilia. Thanks for sharing as I for one, is entirely rapt by this story. Thank you Sir.

You may be able to contact the Grout Museum and/or the Waterloo Chamber of commerece if you want more information.I know a few people who helped with a veterans display for the Grout a while back on WW2.Im sure they will have some useful materials.Maybe they would be willing to share some copies if available.There is also a Sullivan brothers Convention Center in Waterloo.I use to attend a gunshow there.

RD

I imagine that there is a Sullivan brother's display in the new The Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum in Waterloo, IA that was dedicated in Veteran's Day a year ago: http://www.groutmuseumdistrict.org/sullivan From the website:

The Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum is named after the five Sullivan brothers from Waterloo, Iowa. They lost their lives, along with 700 other crewmembers, when their ship, the USS Juneau, was sunk in the South Pacific on November 13, 1942 in the Battle of Guadalcanal.

The 32,000-square-foot facility named in their honor consists of permanent and temporary exhibits, video histories, artifacts, plane and tank replicas, and a near life-size recreation of the bow of the USS Juneau. Museum patrons will receive personalized veteran dog tags when they arrive, allowing them to experience an Iowan's story. Interactive video exhibits also showcase hundreds of veterans' stories, and a veteran registration program will serve as an important research tool.

There is also mention on the website of a recreation of the Sullivan house living room.

As I recall there was also a small Sullivan brothers display in the Convention Center. However none of the items on display could be attributed to the brothers or the Sullivan family.

Checking the Sullivan Museum (grout museumdistrict.org/sullivan) was rewarding beyond measure. I had no idea this museum even existed but thanks to a simple query and the response from an informed and caring club member, an entire new world just opened up. I recommend everyone who has the slightest interest to check out is website posted in a previous message. To see the five-star flag thatwas the actual flag that hung in the Sullivan's home would be worth the trip. I will send a donation to the museum in a day or two.

Excellent!

just a note to this topic--- as collectors we are aware of history and histories events of the time. in my job they hired some new supervisors and one a young 22-3 year old came from IOWA. i asked do you know about the 5 brothers who came from your state and died in the pacific. he said no. i said you were never taught about the sullivan brothers-- he said no. so much for our history passed down. very sad! secondly, as to a documentry about the brothers, one survivor stated that 1 (i think he said george) survived but, do to the conditions went out of his head and jumped off the raft only to be killed by a shark. if i am wrong about any of the above some one tell me for this is the best to my rememberence.

That story kind sir, is an illustration of how this important history that most of us lived through and cherish, has become lost on today's "me first" and narcissistic generation that is now taking over. I suppose there isn't a whole lot we can do about it but inspiried by your message and those of "ehrentitle", I have sent a donation to the Grout Museum in Waterloo, directed to the "Sullivan Exhibit", with the hope it helps make some sort of difference.

I am definitely looking forward to the HBO five day spectacular on WWII. Even though it has now been colorized and made of HD TV, maybe a few more people will watch it and appreciate it for the fact it arguably is the most single important event of the 20th century. And it definitely helped maintain French as the national language of France. Lest they forget.

Thanks for the response.

• 1 month later...

I have been to the Sullivan Museum in Waterloo. Living in Des Moines it's only a 2 hour drive for me to get there. It is a large museum with a heavy focus on of course the Sullivan brothers. They have personal family items there related to the brothers and their war time service. They even have a replica of their ship you can walk on. When I say replica the thing is so big you have to walk up some stairs to get to the top. It commands the museum. Well worth the visit to see some of the Sullivan family momentos of the WWII era.

When I was in middle school in the Finger Lakes of New York, I was in the "Navy History Club". We had made frequent trips to Buffalo to tour the USS The Sullivans. It's a great ship and along with the USS Little Rock and the USS Croaker it's a great park.

Mike

The rememberance of those who came before us starts at home. We teach history from the 10,000 foot view in our school system. I was born in 1957, my dad was a stateside Marine during the Korean war, his brother a 4th Marine Division Marine in WW2, his two brother in-laws both Korea Marines. As a boy my dad would simply tell me things like "Mr Bennet carried a flame thrower in the 6th Marines etc etc. " He made sure I knew who these warriors were. We watched Victory at Sea togather and many other movies on the war. I have three children and have done the same thing with them and their friends. So yes I know the story of the Sullivans and the other brave Americans who answered the call to defend the nation.

One of the things I really enjoy about this forum is we remember. We don't collect army surplus, we remember and salute the lives of the men and women who where issued the grear. I know every time I shoulder my Garand or Carbine I think about those men in another time that carried these rifles in the defense of our nation.

the younger broth was married and had a son. i remember seeing him on a documentry and he had all 5 purple hearts. is anything he had in the museum??

• 5 months later...

On the way back from vacation last week I stopped at the new The Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum in Waterloo, Iowa. It's a great musuem with state of the art displays and video that tells the story of Iowa veterans from the Civil War to present. Unfortunately I had less than an hour to spend there, simply not enough time to see everything. If anyone is interested in photos let me know and I'll post a few here.

The Meatcan

Kevin, please post your photos of The Sullivans Museum! I'm sure there a bunch of us who'd love to see your pix.

Thanks,

Terry

Kevin, please post your photos of The Sullivans Museum! I'm sure there a bunch of us who'd love to see your pix.

Thanks,

Terry

I'll see what I can do this weekend.

I too would be most appreciative to be able to view these photographs, enticing me al the more to head to Waterloo one day and see them for myself. I am pleased at the number of people who have shared the interest in this subject.

Here are a couple of quick scans of brochures and post cards from the museum. I also scanned the little plastic dog tag with a bar code that you use activate kiosks throughout the museum.

4728173059_d5e6df048c_o.jpg

4728173029_1f4776988e_o.jpg