Nice, Remington Made, 1913 dated, 1917 Bayonet

rambob

Many years ago, I picked up this bayonet for my 1917 Remington, Enfield rifle. It is absolutely about as Mint as they come, with 100% finish. I believe the bayonet was made by Remington for the British, because of the kinky proof marks on the blade. I had read that British Enfield rifles were being manufactured in the US for England, along with bayonets to go with them. I also heard when we entered WWI the US reallocated rifles and bayonets for their own use. Also, interesting how the scabbard is dated 5 years after the bayonet, but it may not be the original, issued scabbard. Any comments are of course welcome.

post-299-1180698589.jpg

post-299-1180698606.jpg

post-299-1180698615.jpg

post-299-1180698627.jpg

Greg Robinson

Nice bayonet and it's the Remington made in the US for British Army version. Unlike many of them the US military didn't cancel out the Brit markings and restamp it "US". And it's a 1913 pattern manufactured in 1916. The scabbard is the US Model of 1917 made in 1918.

Greg, as always excellent information. I had a brain fart this morning and wrote it was made in 1913, when the date is right there as January 1916. DUH!! Can you tell me relative scarcity of this bayonet in the US. Like how many exist, value etc. Thanks!! You are duh edged weapon man!!

Bob

Greg Robinson
Greg, as always excellent information. I had a brain fart this morning and wrote it was made in 1913, when the date is right there as January 1916. DUH!! Can you tell me relative scarcity of this bayonet in the US. Like how many exist, value etc. Thanks!! You are duh edged weapon man!!

Bob

Not sure what a British Enfield bayonet is worth, my hunch is they're not worth a lot. Even the ones made by Remington during WW1 specifically for the US are still fairly common so they must have made a zillion of them and many were left over post WW1 in unissued condition. Some got used here in the US for training during WW2 and some got sent to England in 1940 as lend lease. But there's still a lot of them around. I've seen some cheap prices by some of the large surplus dealers.

Only the Winchester made Model of 1917's have significant value and that's due to demand from trench gun collectors who feel that their Winchester shotguns MUST be mated with a like maker bayonet. :D

Greg, Thanks again. The bayonet/scabbard are still a nice mate to my 1917 Remington Enfield and I don't have much money in them to begin with.

Hi Greg and Bob

Hope you don't mind but I thought I would post a few pictures of my Remington and Winchester bayonets and then ask a question.

bayo1.jpg

bayo2.jpg

REMINGTON

bayor1.jpg

bayor2.jpg

WINCHESTER

bayow1.jpg

bayow2.jpg

bayoscabbardmarking.jpg

bayohangerattachments.jpg

The question is: When did the hanger style change on the scabbard?

Thanks

Martyn

Greg Robinson
Greg, Thanks again. The bayonet/scabbard are still a nice mate to my 1917 Remington Enfield and I don't have much money in them to begin with.

I forgot to mention that your 1918 dated scabbard DOES have good collector value. It's near impossible to find one of those "on the loose" so if you ever decided to sell that set the scabbard alone would insure a good selling price.

During WW2 the M1917 scabbard was declared substitute standard for use with the M1905 bayonet. There was a shortage of scabbards early in WW2 so that used up a lot of the WW1 M1917's.

Greg

Greg, That is good news about the value of the scabbard. Its also in really beautiful condition for its age.

Greg Robinson

There was a plastic scabbard developed in late 1944 for the M1917 bayonet. What they did was take the body of the M3 bayonet scabbard and added a longer metal throat which allowed it to accomodate the 1917. It wasn't available until early 1945 and few, if any, got issued. For many years they were very rare in the collector market. But then a few years ago some were auctioned off by the govt along with M1917 bayonets. So you see a few around these days but they're still scarce.