Post your USAF "Heritage" Patches

Sabrejet

Whilst browsing through my patches / patch references last night it occurred to me just how many contemporary USAF patches are simply "modernised" versions of patches originally designed and adopted in WW2..or in some cases, before. These before/after "Heritage Patches" are, in effect, a visual history of the USAF with their clear lineage. So, I thought it might make for an interesting thread if we posted such patches from our collections? I've photographed a few from mine to get the ball rolling.

post-8022-1257971850.jpg

post-8022-1257971922.jpg

Excellent thread topic.

I'll look through and see what I have.

Thanks Bluehawk..I look forward to seeing it!

Ian :thumbsup:

I hope I am following this! Here is the 5th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing and the 5th Bombardment Wing. (by the way, the 5th SRW patch was being sold at saundersinsignia.com for $5 as the 5th OMS)

post-1443-1257995380.jpg

I love it when units maintain their original insignias. One of my favorite examples of this is the 731st AS. The unit was originally the 331st Bomb Sq in WWII. It was redesignated the 731st Troop Carrier Squadron in 1955 and the patch was changed at some point to the one worn by the 731st TAS. Somebody in the unit knew their history and the unit readopted the original insignia the 331st wore during WWII. It sure looks a lot better to me than the cold war pizza that was their old patch....

-Ski

post-3043-1258039653.jpg

Some USAF units trace their lineage back to before they were even an American unit. The 335th FS is the descentant of 121 (Eagle) Squadron, RAF. When the three Eagle squadrons became the nucleus of the 4th FG at Debden, they carried forward their insignias. The 335th TFS used the old RAF crest patch as a "Friday" patch. The other fighter squadrons in the 4th TFG did the same. I believe this continued into the 4th FW era, if not still done today.

-Ski

post-3043-1258055892.jpg

Sabrejet showed the subdued version of the 23rd TFW above. The unit as a whole is a tribute to th Flying Tigers and the 23rd Fighter Group in World War II. Here is the 23rd TFW, the 74th FS, 75th TFS and the now defunct 76th TFS.

-Ski

post-3043-1258140060.jpg

Of course, it is custom for many operational squadrons to celebrate the anniversery of the unit. Here are some patches which truly reflect heritage!

-Ski

post-3043-1258141247.jpg

Excellent Ski....thanks for sharing! This is exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread. Hopefully some other members will share theirs in the days to come.

Best,

Excellent Ski....thanks for sharing! This is exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread. Hopefully some other members will share theirs in the days to come.

Best,

No problem! Nobody else here wants to see my collection, so I might as well show it here, hehehehe..... :)

Bombardment squadrons are great examples of maintaining their heritage....

-Ski

post-3043-1258208109.jpg

Down to us then Ski!? (I can't believe that your fellow Yanks would let themselves be out-patched by a Brit in their own back yard!?) ;)

Here is another example of a unit shedding its coldwar past and readopting its WWII insignia. The 38th SRS wore the patch on the left from 1957-1994 when the 38th RS changed it back the old winged tomahawk it started wearing in 1942. Much better!

-Ski

post-3043-1258209480.jpg

Down to us then Ski!? (I can't believe that your fellow Yanks would let themselves be out-patched by a Brit in their own back yard!?) ;)

Yanks like myself fill this board, but USAF patch collecting on this forum is pretty much a niche market. Actually I was referring to my family and friends at home and not the board, I could of worded that better, hehehe.... By the way, I sure wish I could display my British medals and patches I absconded with when I was stationed in the UK. My 7 years at RAF Mildenhall made me a true Anglophile.

-Ski