Anti-Axis Items

Homefrontguy

The many varities of the Belgian Piss Boy ashtray brought home by GI's.

post-1908-1257644398.jpg

First of all -- that is an AMAZING collection! Thanks for sharing it!! All I've managed to scare up is one of these piss boys and a hitler skunk.

You mention the "piss boys" were Belgian in origin -- any other history on these? To be honest, apart from the one here, I've never seen another one before now.

First of all -- that is an AMAZING collection! Thanks for sharing it!! All I've managed to scare up is one of these piss boys and a hitler skunk.

You mention the "piss boys" were Belgian in origin -- any other history on these? To be honest, apart from the one here, I've never seen another one before now.

The "Manneken Pis", as he's known, is a famous statue in Bruxelles, Belgium. It's actually a fountain...you can work out for yourself where the water comes from! Dates back to the 1600s and represents a character from Belgian / Flemish history. To cut a long story short, the infant was placed in a tree for safety by his father, who was doing battle with his enemies at the time. Legend has it that the boy pee'd over the bad guys and the battle was won...or so the story goes! It's a popular tourist attraction and every souvenir shop in Bruxelles sells miniature versions of it. So, it doesn't take much of a leap of the imagination in this context to cast Hitler/ Tojo as the bad guys being symbolically pee'd over by the good guys!

Ian :lol:

Fine answer Ian, I was going to write the same thing. Here is a postcard from a restaurant in NYC that shows the actual statue being used again for anti-axis imagery.

post-1908-1257825637.jpg

Fine answer Ian, I was going to write the same thing. Here is a postcard from a restaurant in NYC that shows the actual statue being used again for anti-axis imagery.

post-1908-1257825637.jpg

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Super impressive collection, although I haven't gotten into that realm of collecting yet, it is still something that greatly fascinates me.

Here are two more items related to The "Manneken Pis". They are hankies. The more detalied version with the American and British Flag is printed with a Souvenir of Belgium. The second square hankie is a Souvenir of Luxembourg. Jim

post-1908-1257983192.jpg

post-1908-1257983215.jpg