Vice Presidential Service badge

roadrunner

• 11 months later...

I updated my reference guide "Vice Presidential Service Badge".

The compleate information you could get at scribd.com

http://www.scribd.com/doc/40757969/Vice-Pr...l-Service-Badge

You DON`T NEED a facebook-account to use scribd.com!

(this is a option to log in and you can "Use your Facebook login and see what your friends are reading and sharing"

Download without using a Facebook-account:

1. Klick on "Download"

2. choose "PDF", than "Download now"

3. Klick on "I don´t have a Facebook account"

4. enter your email-adress, create a username, set a password, than "Sign Up" (notice for next downloads)

Michael

post-8324-1288727011.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello

Here is the current overview of my Vice Presidential Service items

The current version of the VPSB is missing but I hope to find a original one.

Michael

post-8324-0-58315100-1476020052_thumb.jpeg

@ firefighter

I've got contradictory information about numbered VPSB. I'm not sure about that.

Michael

@ firefighter

I've got contradictory information about numbered VPSB. I'm not sure about that.

Michael

Interesting. Either way a nice looking badge. Great collection & thanks for showing.

Article from May 2015

" Only 473 people have been awarded the VPSB since its establishment in Juli, 1970"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/245567-811th-airmen-awarded-vp-service-badge/

That makes this badges and certificates "rare". The Presidential Service Badges are in the 23000 range.

• 5 years later...
Basic Rifleman

I recently came across a low number PSB. It has the Williams and Anderson Hallmark, and is numbered "1032". I also received a VPSB from the same seller with no makers mark, and it's numbered "29".  I'm in no way an expert on these specific badges, but am 100% sure this VPSB is period correct, and not a modern copy. It has the exact same quality construction, feel, weight, etc. as the PSB, but no makers mark. The problem is, the few confirmed 1st generation originals I've seen on this forum are made by Antaya and not numbered. Is there any chance the first VPSB's issued were done so sans makers mark, but with serial numbers? The only serial numbered examples I can find of the VPSB are the modern badges - and even though only 473 have been awarded, I believe with replacements (and collectors finding a way to buy them) the serial numbers are is in the high 1,000's now.  Any help confirming this early numbering would be most appreciated. 

psb1.jpg

psb2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok,  I was assigned to HMX-1 from 1982-1985. I'd like to clear up some things here.. PSB's & VPSB's are are awarded to our (Marines assigned to HMX-1 White side support) squadron members after 1 year of honorable service on the executive side of the unit, or as we call it "the Cage".  Its not automatic, in other words you dont just receive it when the 1 year mark hits. The badge is awarded only after the CO submits the request through the Whitehouse Liason Office and its approved by the President. The badges are numbered on the back and that badge number is assigned exclusively to that Marine for life, so the numbers engraved on the backs should increase with each issue. The reason there are fewer VP badges is because most individuals who are entitled to wear the VPSB are also entitled to the PSB so thats the badge requested.  The VPSB is usually for someone assigned or employed specifically to the VP's office. badges can only be replaced in certain events such as loss, stolen, destroyed and the only way to replace it is through the Whitehouse Military Office. Usually they can look it up by name, badge number, or service number. But in some cases they may request a certified copy of your DD214 which shows the award. The Stolen Valor Act states It is illegal for anyone to own or display military medals and/or ribbons that they are not entitled to which includes these badges. Again my reply is from my experience with our HMX-1 squadron. Also there was a post awhile back about someone seeing one of our birds at WTI in Yuma and it being modified with equipment they had not seen on other birds of the same model. That is due to the other mission of HMX-1. HMX-1 is "H for heavy",  "M" for Marine, and "X" for experimental. The bird (CH-46) I believe he said, was probably from the Green side and experimental part of our mission. Basically we experiment with newly designed parts etc. to make sure they are safe, and an improvement for the fleet. Hope this long winded running of the mouth helps. 

• 3 weeks later...
Basic Rifleman
On 1/22/2022 at 11:32 AM, thehog said:

The Stolen Valor Act states It is illegal for anyone to own or display military medals and/or ribbons that they are not entitled to which includes these badges.

Thanks for your post, and for the insight into the distribution of these badges, specifically the part that clarifies the difference between those who rated and awarded the VPSB. However, the part of your post that very loosely references the Stolen Valor Act, is a bit off. While it would be a criminal act for someone to wear medals, ribbons, badges, etc. they're not entitled to, simply owning them or displaying them is perfectly fine with the exception of the MOH. If simply owning and displaying a medal you're not the original recipient of were a crime, millions of collectors, and family members of those who served would be in the wrong. I'm not posting this to simply tell you you're wrong, but rather in case someone comes across this particular thread seeking info on a VPSB; I don't want them leaving thinking it's a crime to own these badges or most other military insignia.

Semper Fi and thanks for your service to the USMC and HMX-1.