50 Caliber machine gun photo

AndrewA74

Hello,

This is pretty cool. I bought it for $2. On the back it reads the folowing: 'Doc Simms' + "Shotgun" Banning. Neat picture.

post-889-1180480351.jpg

The photo reminds me of a story my father used to tell about his days in the service. In the early 60s he was stationed at Fort Bliss TX and spent many weeks at White Sands NM. He was in the HQ company of his unit and the 2 1/2 ton truck he drove was thus equipped with the ring mount and a .50 cal. machine gun. He said that once they had gotten far enough out into the desert, and away from the officers, they would shoot the .50 cal. at jack rabbits and whatever else moved! He said it was all fun until the time came to check in the equipment, weapons, etc., and it was found they were short a few hundred rounds!

The photo reminds me of a story my father used to tell about his days in the service. In the early 60s he was stationed at Fort Bliss TX and spent many weeks at White Sands NM. He was in the HQ company of his unit and the 2 1/2 ton truck he drove was thus equipped with the ring mount and a .50 cal. machine gun. He said that once they had gotten far enough out into the desert, and away from the officers, they would shoot the .50 cal. at jack rabbits and whatever else moved! He said it was all fun until the time came to check in the equipment, weapons, etc., and it was found they were short a few hundred rounds!

Sometimes it might take a few more rounds to kill one of those big jackrabbits! They are pretty tough critters!

CNY Militaria

Does it matter if its worth $2? If you are happy with it, it shouldn't really matter :) .

Justin

Does it matter if its worth $2? If you are happy with it, it shouldn't really matter :) .

Justin

True. Do you think it's WWII?

Charlie Flick
Lets see some more .50cal photo's.

I thought you would never ask. Here are a few pics of one of the greatest weapons in history, the .50 BMG, providing tremendous firepower on the ground, in the air and on the sea.

The first pic is of a watercoooled .50 in Navy use on 4-40-42. Don't know which ship this was on but it looks like it has seen some action.

Watercooled_50BMG_4_30_42_USN_edited.jpg

Here is another one in Air Force service. It shows airman Richard K. Baer of the famed 303rd Bomb Group at Molesworth in England with a .50 that he obviously has some familiarity with.

Airman_Richard_K_Baer_303rd_BG_Molesworth_50_BMG.jpg

More later.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Another 303rd Bomb Group photo. Waist gunner, Sgt. Butch Holland on "My Blonde Baby" before his plane was shot down over Germany in 1944 and the crew captured.

Gary

post-84-1181535225.jpg

Do you think it's WWII? Do you think it's worth what I payed for it?

If you had purchased this image (or perhaps more accurately NOT purchased this image) from Snyder's Treasures on eBay you would have not paid $20 or more. If the image is at least 5x7 and better 8x10 it is well worth two US green backs.

My sense of the image it is more likely post-WWII. I am of the impression that the style of lettering (sans serif or gothic) on the truck hood was in use by the 1960s. Previously these markings were more often stenciled in Roman style letters.

One of my JrROTC instructors related how during the Korean War they/he mounted a telescopic sight on an M2 .50 and used it for long range sniping. I'm not sure you would necessarily have to hit an individual at 2000 yards to put him out of action. The psycological effect might be disturbing enough. w00t.gif

Charlie Flick

Nice shot, Ricardo. What kind of chopper is that in the background?

Here is one showing a M2 being fired in what is probably a training or demonstration scenario. Definitely not a combat scene with all those guys standing around. Don't know the date or place but I am guessing WW2 from the uniforms.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

BrowningM2BMG_edited.jpg

craig_pickrall
I have this photo of the heads of the rounds being coloured for target practice.

post-410-1182088496.jpg

Interesting pic. This is what the targets look like when hit by these colored rounds. I sold this target to the curator of the old Gunnery School Museum a few years back.

post-5-1182090622.jpg

post-5-1182090633.jpg

post-5-1182090642.jpg

Charlie Flick

Nice pics, BC. The watercooled .50 is especially nice. I happened to see one up close just a week ago at the Virginia Military Museum where they have one on display that you can put your hands on. It had the unusual AA sights on it as well. I should have taken a pic!

Since we are on the subject of MG training I thought you guys might enjoy this one. It shows some AAF gunner trainees at Page Field near Fort Myers, Florida in 1945.

Keep 'em coming.

Charlie Flick

50BMGmalfunctionRangePageField_FtMyers1945.jpg