• Please log in to reply
909 replies to this topic

#51 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,963
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

...A very poor picture of an Asian made fatigue shirt...Note the added pen pocket on the left sleeve...

This A2C has pen pockets on both sleeves. He is in Korea, 1954, and his fatigues appear to be issue (note the metal button rivet on his right lapel near his t-shirt) -- the pockets are obviously local add-ons and there is no sign of a name tag here:

1954_A2C_Fatigues.jpg

More of the same Airman showing Fifth AF SSI and period-appropriate ribbons on long-sleeve khakis (with scarf!) and AF Ike (on board a troopship headed home -- note soldiers and maybe a Marine in the background):

1954_A2C_Khakis.jpg

1954_A2C_Ike.jpg

#52 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,553 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

I'm continuing to go through a 100-lb collection of photos, documents, etc. from a US Air Force Lt. Col. who started out as a fighter pilot in WWII (see http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=23762 ).

One album has a bunch of photos from McGuire Air Force Base in 1951: and some are nice examples of the early Air Force uniforms.

This first is interesting because the visiting Major General is still wearing his old Army Air Force cap while everyone else has gone to Air Force blue:

rosevisitsmcguire.jpg

Here are some MP's, also in 1951, decked out for a ceremony welcoming some VIP's from Belgium:

usafmps.jpg

And I think this was taken during a wing parade:

usafcolorguard.jpg

#53 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

Here is a copy of the 1948 USAF directive covering enlisted insignia during early transitional period

usafdir.jpg

usafdir2.jpg

usafdir3.jpg

usafdir4.jpg

#54 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,553 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

Here is a copy of the 1948 USAF directive covering enlisted insignia during early transitional period (source: Air University Enlisted Heritage Hall -- link here).

Thanks for that. It's interesting to read about the gold buttons, collar and cap insignia then. After looking at those images of the collar insignia I decided that if I did an ebay search I'd find some US Air Force insignia labeled as WWII AAF or Air Corps. Sure enough, when I did a keyword search for air corps pin one of the first listings was for this group labeled as "WWII Army Air Corps Pins" - of course as those regulation show, the US and propeller surrounded by circles are post-WWII US Air Force:

airforcecollar.jpg

#55 aclfan

aclfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,720
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for that. It's interesting to read about the gold buttons, collar and cap insignia then. After looking at those images of the collar insignia I decided that if I did an ebay search I'd find some US Air Force insignia labeled as WWII AAF or Air Corps. Sure enough, when I did a keyword search for air corps pin one of the first listings was for this group labeled as "WWII Army Air Corps Pins" - of course as those regulation show, the US and propeller surrounded by circles are post-WWII US Air Force:

airforcecollar.jpg

This reference has helped me as well. One of our museum volunteers was in the AAF Training Command in 1945, then called back up in Korea. He wore three different Ike jackets - WWII OD, AF OD and AF Blue. He gave me his OD jackets, and donated his blue uniforms to another local museum. Both jackets were missing collar insignias. I knew about the WWII one, but not the transition. I had a set of the brass transition pieces in my collection, but thought they were WWII era aviation cadet!

I am now looking for a set of period US pewter ringed collar pins for a blue AF Ike jacket I later obtained. Most of what is on ebay are more modern. Does anyone have an extra set they could part with?

#56 aclfan

aclfan
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

[quote name='Forum Support' date='Aug 4 2008, 01:57 AM' post='175197']

I forgot to mention that I will post photos after I replace the collar brass. I also have his khaki colored AF shirts to go along with the OD Ike, with full training command patches and rank. He just filled 2 duffle bage full of gear and gave one to me and the other to a co-worker. I got most of the post-WWII AF stuff and he got the WWII stuff, which I already had most of in my collection.

Edited by aclfan, 04 September 2008 - 06:45 AM.

#57 jim2

jim2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 100
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

Heres a photo I found on the net. Notice the Para wings & the CIB.

9f4d_1.jpg

Edited by jim2, 04 September 2008 - 07:02 AM.

#58 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

...Notice the Para wings & the CIB....

And placement of the ROK PUC over the left pocket with the U.S. DUC over the right pocket. Most 1950s USAF pictures I have seen show all unit awards over the right pocket, whereas Army practice in the 1950s was foreign unit awards on the left pocket flap and the U.S. DUC only over the right pocket. Eventually, all USAF unit awards ended up over the left pocket and all Army unit awards ended up over the right pocket. This TSgt. seems to have straddled the fence with his unit awards.

Great picture, jim2, thanks for posting it here.

#59 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:39 PM

Here are official pictures of Col. Edward W. "Jonesy" Szaniawski previously posted elsewhere by Forum Support (and added here with his permission ~~ link here).

8x10tans.jpg

8x10headsgots.jpg

The bottom pictures are dated Dec. 6, 1955 (left) and Aug. 3, 1961(right), which give useful reference points for dating USAF transition era wear of DUC over the right pocket (Army practice) vs. over left pocket (current USAF practice). The exact date that the DUC migrated from right to left side of USAF uniforms has never been published on the Forum but is usually stated as "late 1950s" or "early 1960s" ~~ Col. Szaniawski's 1961 picture supports the later dating, although there might have been a lengthy "wear-out" period for existing right-side DUCs (and maybe especially for crusty old war heroes).

#60 seanmc1114

seanmc1114
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,761
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

Sorry. See below.

Edited by seanmc1114, 18 September 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#61 seanmc1114

seanmc1114
  • Members
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

Here is a copy of the 1948 USAF directive covering enlisted insignia during early transitional period (source: Air University Enlisted Heritage Hall -- link here).

[/center][center]Posted Image

I never realized that the Air Force actually had Privates First Class and Corporals. However, now that I think about it, there was a scene in "No Time For Sergeants", which I believe came out in 1957, where Don Knotts' character was referred to as a corporal. That was a great movie and I think that was the first time he and Andy Griffith worked together.

#62 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,553 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Here is a copy of the 1948 USAF directive covering enlisted insignia during early transitional period...

Posted Image

Here's a couple of 1949 pattern Air Force uniforms I picked up today. The Ike jacket has the type of chevrons shown in the 1948 directive - it is s 1951 jacket. The blue dress coat was made apparently in 1949, but has the later style chevrons.

afike0918label.jpg

afike0918.jpg

Notice that this coat fastens with a zipper and snaps:

afike0918zipper.jpg

And here's the blue dress coat:

af0918label.jpg

af0918.jpg

The thrift store where I got these also had a 1949 pattern overcoat but at $35 it was overpriced.

#63 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:43 AM

I love this thread. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#64 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:45 AM

5) USAF field jacket, similar to the M-65 but notice the difference in the collar. Note the large TAC pocket patch. But the neatest thing about this jacket is again the use of the reflective flight line tape, both on the front and back. I took this out at night and shined a light on it, and it lit up like neon. This was quite used. 1960s?

That's the one we were issued in 1964 I believe... the collar was a hood pocket. Very useful on a flightline.

Edited by Bluehawk, 19 September 2008 - 04:46 AM.

#65 seanmc1114

seanmc1114
  • Members
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:14 AM

This photo is seen in various places on the web and it's one of my favorite USAF photos: the 1956 summer uniform:

Check out the expressions of the guys walking by in the back of the picture. I guess they are staring at how ridiculous the two grown men walking by in khaki shorts and long socks look. To me, this uniform just worked against every image the military has always tried to portray through its uniforms. I wonder if anyone who might have worn this uniform can comment on its comfort and practicality.

#66 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,553 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:23 AM

Check out the expressions of the guys walking by in the back of the picture. I guess they are staring at how ridiculous the two grown men walking by in khaki shorts and long socks look. To me, this uniform just worked against every image the military has always tried to portray through its uniforms. I wonder if anyone who might have worn this uniform can comment on its comfort and practicality.

I had found a couple of comments elsewhere on the web from guys who were in the USAF then and it sounds like the only ones who ever wore it were the guys forced to put it on for photo sessions. :)

#67 aclfan

aclfan
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image

I found what looks like the transitional gold hat badge that has clutch back pins rather than a center screw post. Would the hat badge have stayed on with clutch back pins?

#68 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

...I found what looks like the transitional gold hat badge that has clutch back pins rather than a center screw post...

Most likely this is a case of mistaken identity. The USAF gold colored service cap insignia has been thoroughly kicked around in this topic and others but the two-pin and clutch-back version has never been attributed to USAF wear. This insignia was identified elsewhere on the Forum as being an authorized insignia for Army enlisted women (probably on the woman's black beret in use ca. 1975 - 1984). Link here and also see Emerson: Encyclopedia of U.S. Army Insignia and Uniforms, p 554.

Edited by Wailuna, 19 September 2008 - 09:59 PM.

#69 aclfan

aclfan
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

Most likely this is a case of mistaken identity. The USAF gold colored service cap insignia has been thoroughly kicked around in this topic and others but the two-pin and clutch-back version has never been attributed to USAF wear. This insignia was identified elsewhere on the Forum as being an authorized insignia for Army enlisted women (probably on the woman's black beret in use ca. 1975 - 1984). Link here and also see Emerson: Encyclopedia of U.S. Army Insignia and Uniforms, p 554.

Thanks for the information. Now I know what to look for.

#70 DutchInfid3l

DutchInfid3l
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,394
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Here are a few of my recent purchases...
These are from the same airman Michael J. Dupay. 15 May 1946- 30 Apr 2008 Request for military record pending.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Kimballsek/016.jpg Sateen uniform dated 1969
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Kimballsek/014.jpg Winter weight wool uniform with flight cap dated 1969
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Kimballsek/012.jpg Summer weight polyester uniform dated 1968 with wool service cap dated 1968 with rain cover
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Kimballsek/015.jpg Wool overcoat dated 1968

Aviation Cadet uniform, various course papers and items from A/C Stanley E. Petersen Class 51-H Randolph Field, TX
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Kimballsek/002-1.jpg
Ike style wool uniform dated May 2, 1949 with flight cap, mini officer cap badge and student name tag. Course notebooks, address books, Compass Headings cadet handbook, January 12, 1951 San Antonio newspaper, T-6 Student Checklist
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Kimballsek/004-1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Kimballsek/005-1.jpg

Edited by DutchInfid3l, 26 September 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#71 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:44 AM

Looks like Dupay's Airman Basic fatigue shirt was during his Air Training Command assignment. Wonder what he did in that Command... probably ca. 1963-68 or so.

#72 DutchInfid3l

DutchInfid3l
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,394
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

Looks like Dupay's Airman Basic fatigue shirt was during his Air Training Command assignment. Wonder what he did in that Command... probably ca. 1963-68 or so.

On his shirt I see an outline of an airman stripe, so hopefully I'll get his records info and get the chance to see.

#73 1stDivVet

1stDivVet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,106
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

As per Wailuna's request.. Here's a piece I picked up many years ago from a friend.. He had bought most of the estate..

This is the March 15, 1951 dated Size 43R USAF Ike jacket of Brigadier General Olbert F. Lassiter. General Lassiter did his first military service in the 30's with a 2 year stint in the Florida National Guard. Then spent 2 years as a radio operator in the Marines. He became an aviation cadet and won his wings and was commisioned a 2nd Lt in May, 1940. His first solo flight was at 15 in 1935 in an Aeronca. He served in both theatres flying 36 combat missions in P-38's, B-25's, and finishing the war flying 29 more combat missions in B-29's. He left the Army when the formation of the USAF came about and retired in the late 60's early 70's. He held the record for the World distance and speed in 47 and still heldolds it for prop driven aircraft, in distance without refeuling. He broke the trans-world record in 48.
He did the stunt flying in several movies in the 50's including a P-38 in the Hollywood movie "A Guy Named Joe,". Later he flew in scenes for the movie "Women Courageous," and in 1952 he was technical adviser for Paramount Studios' production "Strategic Air Command," starring James Stewart. The two men later worked together on "Cowboy 57," when General Lassiter was a B-52 wing commander at Westover Air Force Base, Mass. He held several commands in SAC including being the first SAC commander at Thule in Greenland. He was also a test pilot and SAC project officer at Edwards and flew over 300 aircraft including prop, turbo-prop, jet, and rocket driven experimentals. One of his last commands was as commander of the 801st Air Division, Lockbourne Air Force Base, Ohio unti 1963. That is near me and how the stuff got here to begin with. I have a bullion SAC patch somewhere and a pair of Delta Footware jungle boots he had. I'll have to dig them out. Here's a few pics of the Ike and it's ribbon rack..

Fins.
He died in 73.. His service left a collection of USN/USMC, Army, and USAF awards spanning over 30 years..An odd group to say the least.

Attached Images

• DSC00002.jpg

#74 1stDivVet

1stDivVet
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

A close up of Lassiter's ribbon rack. It spans over 30 years of service with the Army National Guard, Army Air Forces, USMC, and USAF

Attached Images

• scan0014___Copy.jpg

#75 1stDivVet

1stDivVet
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Here's an early 47 era trasitional Ike. 46 pattern Ike with 3rd AAf and USAF Sgt stripes.. Hat came with it, Badge has 2 clutchback posts with flat faced WW2 type clutchbacks.. Ribbons are Army Good Conduct, American Campaign and WW2 Victory. Collar badges are the open type with outer ring. Both US and winged prop.. I have a transitional Officer's uniform too form the Berlin Airlift. I'll try to get photos of it

Attached Images

• aftrans.jpg
  • DSC00006.jpg
  • DSC00008.jpg

Edited by 1stDivVet, 01 October 2008 - 12:53 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users