Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

Me too, but I feel the same way about some of the insignia!

By the time I entered the Air Force in the 1970s, the Air Force had shifted to Shade 1549 winter and tropical blues and my beloved Shade 1549 dark blue shirt -- the last shirt worn in the Air Force with military creases. It was to be phased out. I was issued two shirts while serving in Alaska and then purchased two more in the BX. Upon return to the lower 48, I learned that uniform best indicated who had returned from overseas areas like Korea, Alaska, Germany, Iceland and Greenland and wasn't often seen CONUS. I wore that uniform repeatedly and made a special effort to wear it on the last day it was authorized in the fall of 1987 or 88.

In 1987 when I was recalled to active duty, I was given a special clothing allowance to purchase a full set of double knits because by that point I was a senior NCO. The double knits looked sharp and were ok even though they would snag pretty easy. I stayed with that uniform and the old stripes right up until my July 1994 retirement date.

I didn't like the McPeak uniform. Years of being confused with being a bus driver or airline type came full circle. My distain was especially strong after getting the inside track of how it was adopted from a major/personnel officer who attended a staff meeting with Gen. McPeak in Washington.

The same thing occurred with badges. Gone was the sterling silver or silver-filed high relief detailed insignia in favor of chrome plated badges that looked flat and die-punched. I was one of those who refused to remove his SP functional badge. To me it was a qualification badge to be proud of because it was earned, and like the beret, to be proud of -- not something that seemed a cheaply made occupational badge reflecting a consolidation of AFSCs: CATM, LEs, and OSI.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, picked this up from EBay probably 12-15 years ago, probably mid to late 1950's maybe earlier. It's not bad for about $40.00....

Nice, star on American Defense Ribbon, with a A&P ribbon, maybe a 25th Div WWII vet? star for being at Pearl Harbor perhaps.

Nice, star on American Defense Ribbon, with a A&P ribbon, maybe a 25th Div WWII vet? star for being at Pearl Harbor perhaps.

The star would be for the 'FOREIGN SERVICE' , 'BASE', 'FLEET', or 'SEA' clasp.

The star would be for the 'FOREIGN SERVICE' , 'BASE', 'FLEET', or 'SEA' clasp.

That's right, for Army this usually means Hawaii.

post-34986-0-01822600-1465091466.jpg

Jones here's got one, 35th Inf, 25th Div, Schofield Barracks on Pearl Harbor Day.

Hello, picked this up from EBay probably 12-15 years ago, probably mid to late 1950's maybe earlier. It's not bad for about $40.00....

f16, we see the Name Tag, can't see it clearly enough, too small. Are you cool with giving his name, knowing that might yield more info from searches.

post-34986-0-53274800-1474766523_thumb.jpg

Another one of those Enlistedman Flight School portraits.

Need to know what type of jacket this one is wearing, looks like a dark blue satin, seem to have seen only those leather shearling types in these kind o portraits (Whats the correct description for the shearling type while were at it :D)

attachicon.gif10586688.jpg

Another one of those Enlistedman Flight School portraits.

Need to know what type of jacket this one is wearing, looks like a dark blue satin, seem to have seen only those leather shearling types in these kind o portraits (Whats the correct description for the shearling type while were at it :D)

First of all, these were not "Flight school" portraits. These were done most often at bases that conducted technical training. At Chanute AFB, there was a photo studio on the base that would take these pictures to send to the folks back home. You could have one made with the flight jacket and have that "flyboy", look, or get a picture taken in class A blues.

Second point is that this would be a civilian type nylon jacket that had that flyboy look to it. They were not standard USAF flight jackets. The photographer had a big rack of these blue nylon flight jackets in different sizes, and a rack of blue uniform service coats. The service coat used a fake light blue shirt with attached blue neck tie that all clipped behind the neck. They also had a rank full of service caps in different sizes. You could walk in wearing civies and they would fix you up right up with whatever outfit you wanted. I don't know about the white scarf, so I won't comment on those

Hope this helps.

First of all, these were not "Flight school" portraits. These were done most often at bases that conducted technical training. At Chanute AFB, there was a photo studio on the base that would take these pictures to send to the folks back home. You could have one made with the flight jacket and have that "flyboy", look, or get a picture taken in class A blues.

Second point is that this would be a civilian type nylon jacket that had that flyboy look to it. They were not standard USAF flight jackets. The photographer had a big rack of these blue nylon flight jackets in different sizes, and a rack of blue uniform service coats. The service coat used a fake light blue shirt with attached blue neck tie that all clipped behind the neck. They also had a rank full of service caps in different sizes. You could walk in wearing civies and they would fix you up right up with whatever outfit you wanted. I don't know about the white scarf, so I won't comment on those

Hope this helps.

Thanks Lee, we knew we count on you to set the record straight. A very informative answer, the impression I got and I'm sure other had or got when seeing these type portraits was these were taken at a Training Base for Enlistedmen Recruits who where taking advanced training to be Aircrew, on say Bombers, Transport Aircraft etc.

So we now know, like maybe this guy in this latest one I found and posted was really a Baker or a Carpenter :lol:, and not nesserely an Aircrewman Trainee. Also informative is those Jackets you pointed out, like the shearlings we primarily see, we then can take it that guys who are in them are using by and large, if not in every case, photographers wardrobe rather than they're being a personal issue item or a unit issue item in the possession of the guy posing for these portraits.

Patches,

Yep, that's right. Anybody could get one of these photos made, it made no difference what your Air Force job was or was going to be, it was basically a photo for the folks back home (read that as your best girl back home). If you was in the Air Force, ya wanted to have that "flyboy", look!

Patches,

Yep, that's right. Anybody could get one of these photos made, it made no difference what your Air Force job was or was going to be, it was basically a photo for the folks back home (read that as your best girl back home). If you was in the Air Force, ya wanted to have that "flyboy", look!

Roger.

Couple of more questions Lee. Would that include some of these where the man has headset on, or around neck? And when did this fashion of portraits end?

I have seen those with headsets being worn and thought those might be for guys going thru some kind of of commo school, possibly as airborne radio operators. This is just a SWAG on my part. As to when this type of photos dropped in popularity, well I just don't know. I would speculate it was by the early 1970's.

I have seen those with headsets being worn and thought those might be for guys going thru some kind of of commo school, possibly as airborne radio operators. This is just a SWAG on my part. As to when this type of photos dropped in popularity, well I just don't know. I would speculate it was by the early 1970's.

Err ROGER :D

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks: Since I'm retired USAF...served from 1972-76 Active duty, two years Naval Air Reserve 1976-78 and then came back in the USAF Reserve in 1996 with 18 yrs break in service......wore the fatigues, BDUs and then ABUs...retired 2013 with 23 yrs....

I always liked the USAF uniforms and later.....I recently picked this USAF Tropical TSgt jacket up...and I'd like to date it...by the contract data....(see attached pictures)

Stock Number: 8405-205

Contract QM 8843-01-1051-C-57

My guess...."57" is the year 1957????

post-153915-0-87343100-1479701550_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-85572800-1479701585_thumb.jpg

Hi Folks: Since I'm retired USAF...served from 1972-76 Active duty, two years Naval Air Reserve 1976-78 and then came back in the USAF Reserve in 1996 with 18 yrs break in service......wore the fatigues, BDUs and then ABUs...retired 2013 with 23 yrs....

I always liked the USAF uniforms and later.....I recently picked this USAF Tropical TSgt jacket up...and I'd like to date it...by the contract data....(see attached pictures)

Yes 1957.

Hi guys, that is one of the best and is in volume 1 page 165 of Into the Blue, Uniforms of The USAF. There are a couple of more in volume 2 and there will be others in the forth coming volume 3. I always try and treat the women of the USAF with the respect they deserve.

Lance

post-157361-0-90485500-1479709809.jpg

The khaki Bush Jacket" was a part of the Combination 4 Summer Uniform. I tried to upload the photo of the entire combination from page 86 of volume 1 but the file was too large. Sorry guys. This uniform is perhaps one of the most interesting early USAF combinations. The shorts entered the inventory in 1956 and was typed "Shorts, Cotton Summer Service" or "Shorts, Walking, Summer Service". They were tan shade 505, 6.5 once cotton twill. Bottom of the shorts were to be one inch above the knee and were worn with tan knee length socks. The shorts could be worn with the "Bush Jacket" (summer combination 4) or the 505 short sleeve shirt (summer combination 2). The authorized head gear was the standard service cap, the fight cap or the sun helmet (AKA pith helmet). The original sun helmet was tan shade 1 until replaced by the shade 505 version 2 years later. The summer service jacket (Bush Jacket) was phased out in October 1965 leaving only the shorts and short sleeve uniform (combination 5 in 1966). The 505 khaki shirt was replaced by the 1505 uniform. The shorts and knee socks were phased out of the inventory in June 1976. I've been unable to determine if the 1505 shirt was worn with the shorts but as the shorts last as long as the 1505 uniform (1976) it's a good bet.

Lance

I couldn't help myself...when I saw it...I had to buy it. I don't recall anyone wearing shorts when I was in the USAF ...1972-76. I don't have my 1505s...they went...somewhere (smile) along with the "chuck" boots...but I still have my dufflebag full of my uniforms and fatigues....from (George AFB (TAC)) and Bitburg AB, Germany...my most interesting event happened is when I saw a USAF Warrant Officer in the BX at George AFB...1973....he was an "old" guy...but I was 19 yrs old...everyone was "old".

By the time I went in the USAF,(1966). the bush jacket was gone and I never saw anyone wearing those shorts. From what I've heard from the old timers, the shorts were never popular.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen in the regs and in a display in Lance's Vol. 1 the 1549 dark blue shirt worn with the blue Ike or the Service Dress coat. Apparently this was authorized in cold climates. But I've never seen a period picture of that. Does anyone have one, or have a memory of the dark blue shirt being worn that way?

Thanks!

Me too, but I feel the same way about some of the insignia!

By the time I entered the Air Force in the 1970s, the Air Force had shifted to Shade 1549 winter and tropical blues and my beloved Shade 1549 dark blue shirt -- the last shirt worn in the Air Force with military creases. It was to be phased out. I was issued two shirts while serving in Alaska and then purchased two more in the BX. Upon return to the lower 48, I learned that uniform best indicated who had returned from overseas areas like Korea, Alaska, Germany, Iceland and Greenland and wasn't often seen CONUS. I wore that uniform repeatedly and made a special effort to wear it on the last day it was authorized in the fall of 1987 or 88.

I have seen in the regs and in a display in Lance's Vol. 1 the 1549 dark blue shirt worn with the blue Ike or the Service Dress coat. Apparently this was authorized in cold climates. But I've never seen a period picture of that. Does anyone have one, or have a memory of the dark blue shirt being worn that way?

Thanks!

I never saw anyone wearing the dark blue wool shirt with the service coat. Never even heard of it being done before now.

Just like Flyboy I too really like the dark blue wool shirt! I have it on page 135 of volume one, of course Dave wanted it to be an officer but I certainly saw more EMs wearing it. Also there were more of us. In 1964 they were not an issue item for us newbies but I did purchase several when in Germany. In Korea we were mostly security oriented so the blue shirt wasn't necessary. Town Patrol wore the standard shade 84 four pockets and white hat. During the summer Town Patrol and those on the main gate (Osan) wore 1505s. In the Netherlands I was also primarily security. When I moved to Wiesbaden we were USAFE HQ. During the day and evening shifts we wore a combination of the shade 84 class A and the 1549 Long Sleeve shirt. AP Shield on left pocket and name tag over the right. One thing about the photo of the blue shirt in the book. Dave Shultz has the tie tucked into the second button hole al 1950s. In the early 1960s the ties were worn on the outside with an appropriate tie bar. Such as silver bar with MAJCOM crest (SAC, USAFE etc.,). I am very sorry to say that I have no photos of me wearing it! Who knew I was going to write a book! One thing about the dark blue shirt is that if you had poor hygiene and wore it many times without having it dry cleaned sweat stains were VERY visible! We had one A1/C who worked in the orderly room that had salt stains and poss' moss growing from his arm pits! He wasn't much better with personal grooming and dental hygiene. Four unnamed Airmen drug him to the showers and mandated a wash down. He pleaded to be allowed to do it himself and we I mean they conceded. After listening to the water run for a couple of minutes one of THEM said "It sounds like it's just hitting the floor!" Sure enough they looked in and he was cowering in the corner of the showers. After some help and stiff brushes with laundry soap he started to minably pass inspection. One thing I want to make clear is the office NCOIC was derelict in his duty. It was HIS responsibility to enforce grooming standards. I'm sure the Capt. Z took that into consideration when he threw us out of the office.

PS: Volume 3 will be going to Schiffers and hopefully in the next catalog. Volume 3 Fatigues to the ABU, best price is on Amazon which is better than the author's price from Schiffers!