Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

IntotheBlue

What a contrast! In 1964 we flew out of Fairfield AFB ('Frisco area) in a commercial charter with stewardesses! We had to stop in

Anchorage, AK. It was Feb '65 and we wore our 1505s which was a shook when we got off at Kimpo AB. I was hoping that Justin B was wrong about it being a C-47 and more likely a C-54 but he's right it is a tail dragger. I can't imagine a flight across the Pacific with how many stops? The blue jacket is the half parka N2-B which has a zipper down the middle of the hood so it can lay flat over the shoulders. Hope that helps and isn't just an old guys ramblings!

Patches,

My guess is that they wore the service hats instead of packing them in duffle bags to protect them from being crushed. At least that was still the practice when I was shipped overseas in 1978. When I returned to CONUS two years later, I was still in a uniform but I hand-carried it.

IntotheBlue

Thank you for asking! Had some major rework and I'm finishing off the last 3 chapter that was suggested to move by Dave. That meant reworking all of the numbering! I think he needed to assert himself and I agreed it made more sequential sense. So short version. I should be finished in a couple of weeks and then I'll send it to the boys for a final proofing. Shouldn't be any major things to sort out and then it is to Schiffer Publishers for them to set up and I hope it'll be on the next catalog!

Lance

Want to see some photos late me know as I can't upload them here because the photo files are too large.

[email protected]

doinworkinvans

Thank you for asking! Had some major rework and I'm finishing off the last 3 chapter that was suggested to move by Dave. That meant reworking all of the numbering! I think he needed to assert himself and I agreed it made more sequential sense. So short version. I should be finished in a couple of weeks and then I'll send it to the boys for a final proofing. Shouldn't be any major things to sort out and then it is to Schiffer Publishers for them to set up and I hope it'll be on the next catalog!

Lance

Want to see some photos late me know as I can't upload them here because the photo files are too large.

[email protected]

Lance, never knew you were a member here.

Just picked up volume 1 as I love the transitional unifrom and shade 84 with WWII ribbons.

A wonderful resource

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
firefighter

Here,s one I've been sitting on, a Navy Vet in the USAF. it was up on Ebay.

attachicon.gifnavy vet.jpg

Very Cool. Looks to have one silver service stripe. Strange that the prior Navy patch is on the left and not right shoulder.

Could have been an Air Force type serving with some sort of Navy unit.

I know a Navy vet who earned an Air Force Commendation Medal while serving at Randolph AFB with a special unit involved with officer aircrew training.

Very Cool. Looks to have one silver service stripe. Strange that the prior Navy patch is on the left and not right shoulder.

Nothing odd about that at all. That's what the USAF regs called for at the time. A current assignment patch was only worn for a short time and the wartime service patch went to the left sleeve. To say that things were a little confusing at that time would be an under statement.

firefighter

Nothing odd about that at all. That's what the USAF regs called for at the time. A current assignment patch was only worn for a short time and the wartime service patch went to the left sleeve. To say that things were a little confusing at that time would be an under statement.

I guess 35-10 was in it's infancy period. LoL!!!

• 1 month later...

Silver Tans were not really a "Transitional", uniform. They just were not all that popular and very few enlisted troops opted to buy them and Jr. officers didn't really like spending the money on another uniform that wasn't going to be used that much. Back in the 80's I was talking to an Air Force Lt. Col. about old uniforms one day and he told me he bought a set of silver tans but only wore them one time before they were dropped. Still, it was a very good looking uniform.

doinworkinvans

Love the silver tans....still looking a named one to a WWII vet, with ribbons and wings. I think they look phenomenal. Thats a great example!

lakenormanusa

Love the silver tans....still looking a named one to a WWII vet, with ribbons and wings. I think they look phenomenal. Thats a great example!

So far I haven't been able to find a name anywhere in this jacket, but the

seller said the name associated with the estate sale was Hogan.

• 1 month later...

post-1761-0-93641100-1473547593.jpgpost-34986-0-03366600-1473553338.jpg

Maybe a 9th Air Force Patch Type Crest? Kind of looks like it right?

9th AF was active in the 50s, at Greenville AAB SC (late 1946), and from 1954, Shaw AFB SC.

Lance, never knew you were a member here.

Just picked up volume 1 as I love the transitional unifrom and shade 84 with WWII ribbons.

A wonderful resource

Daniel

Hi Daniel, just now picked up on your post. Glad you like volume 1. Hope you'll like the specialty uniforms in volume 2. Volume 3; Fatigues to the ABU will be going to the printer next month. Dedicated to all of those men and women who spent their time in fatigues or their era's counterpart. As to your comment, we should never have dumped our heritage of the shade 84! Now the Boyd uniform (you'll find it in their) with the removal of the Captain Kangaroo pockets was as far as I was willing to go! But I'm an old guy set in my ways. Hope you enjoy them all.

Lance

Lance,

I agree with you on the older uniforms. I did all my USAF time with the old shade 1084's and I liked it. By the time I went back into Civil Air Patrol in 1977, we were into the McConnell blues. I liked that uniform, especially the darker blue color and the elimination of the big patch pockets. As far as I'm concerned, the Air Force has gone down hill with the class A uniform ever since. That crappy 3 button thing McPeak wanted is horrible, and the elimination of the service cap was a big mistake too. Now the Air Force has the least attractive service uniform of any service. Just another old guys 2 cents worth.