Former NCO Fighter Pilot KIA SS/AM/PH Group

Kadet

A number of years ago I picked this group up from a guy that bought out abandoned storage units and sold the contents. The group was found in Carson City, Nevada. When I bought it, there was no real information about the recipient. Over the years I have continuously added more research effort to the group, and just recently got some very interesting additional info from NARA. 1LT Walter L. Sweeney was a fighter pilot who flew P-47s w/ the 41st Fighter Squadron, 35th Fighter Group in the PTO. He died of wounds following the Nov 26 1944 crash of his fighter, presumably either landing or taking off from their base at Morotai. He sustained a crushing injury to his head and severe burns, dying in the base dispensary shortly after the crash. He was either beginning or finishing a combat mission, hence the PH and other engraved awards. Walter L. Sweeney is also credited w/ two victories. The recent interesting revelation is that Sweeney was originally an NCO fighter pilot w/ the 326th Fighter Squadron, receiving his wings as a SSG on 30 Oct 1942. Sweeney was discharged in Jan 1943 to accept appointment as a Flight Officer, and was later made a commissioned officer. He is buried in Sacramento, CA. I have, unfortunately, never been able to acquire his Silver Star citation or a copy of the accident report for his fatal mishap. The Air Force told me that the citation likely exists in the records, but without a GO #, it would be impossible to find (never really bought that...but so it goes).

Is there a list of 5th AF GOs pertaining to valor awards? I know such lists exist for ground units. I think the citation would answer a lot of questions...did he receive the medal for actions leading up to his crash and death? Was the award for his two victories? Anyway, hope you enjoy and that someone can answer the GO question...

post-110-1257269110.jpg

Al Gleim pulled some 1943 5th AF Silver Star GO's for me years ago. The citations were very sketchy. They said " Silver Star awarded to XXX for gallantry over XXX on XXX date. " That was all they said!

He had copied the citations from microfilm and the quality was awful. He also told me a significant number of 5th AAF GO's were misssing.

Kurt

Kurt, thanks...where would I go to get the GOs for the 5th AF?

Al Gleim pulled some 1943 5th AF Silver Star GO's for me years ago. The citations were very sketchy. They said " Silver Star awarded to XXX for gallantry over XXX on XXX date. " That was all they said!

He had copied the citations from microfilm and the quality was awful. He also told me a number of 5th AAF GO's weer misssing.

Kurt

Kurt, pretty certain the AC records are now kept at the AFHRA at Maxwell AFB. I was able to get a 15th AF SS citation from them a few years ago. I guess what I really need is an index of the 5th AF GOs that lists Sweeney's info

Excellent group. You are a lucky man to own such a great group to a brave pilot that gave it all.

2 air vics, and a P-47 pilot, man you're making me jealous!!! Do you happen to know if any other items

from him were on the market over the last year? The name really rings a bell with me.

JD

Kurt, pretty certain the AC records are now kept at the AFHRA at Maxwell AFB. I was able to get a 15th AF SS citation from them a few years ago. I guess what I really need is an index of the 5th AF GOs that lists Sweeney's info

Kurt is correct. The Air Force Historical Support Office at Bolling AFB maintains a duplicate set of microfilms of the GOs as well as MACRs, unit war diaries, etc. The quality as noted is sometimes pretty bad. Regarding the GOs, the easiest way is to engage a reseacher to get copies of the award cards at St. Louis. I use Lori Miller, [email protected], 636-448-3275. You'll have to ask her what her current rate is. Hope this helps.

Andy,

Within the last 6 months I requested from the National Archives in College Park, MD a copy of a Silver Star citation from a 90th Bomb Group / 5th Air Force guy whose award was for a late summer of 1943 action. The GO info for my guy is in the Silver Star books.

They told me they did not have those records and instead referred me to the AFHRA at Maxwell Air Force Base. I then turned right around and mailed off my request to them but am still waiting for it, usually it seems they take 6 months + in my experience, but they do come through.

With that said, I would say that you can at least not bother with the National Archives and can instead go right to the other sources, whether it being the AFHRA or the award card route.

Also, if you do go for the award card, could ypu possibly post what the cost for that researcher to pull it is?

Good luck, and please let us know how you come out!

Mike

Andy,

One other thing... do you have or have you tried to get copies of the reports generated when he shot down those two aircraft? If memory serves me right, I believe post-mission intel briefs were fairly detailed, and written / recorded and kept, and still to this day quite accessible. They must be, as every now and then one will read a news story about how some WW2 fighter pilot was recently credited with a victory based on a review of records, claims, and reports... Those victories would only come with verification generally, so there was most certainly documentation to support them.

Would the American Fighter Aces Association be the place to go for that? I realize your man may not be an ace, but I would think they would have an archivist or researcher who may be able to either pull those records for you and direct you to who can.

http://americanfighteraces.org/

Anyway, just some random thoughts in the event you have not already gone down that road. My suspicion is that maybe his Silver Star is tied to or related to his two kills, thus this coming to mind.

MW

Hey Andy !!

Beautiful grouping !!

Mike is correct regarding any "kills" that a fighter pilot scored. There were statements given by the pilot and also from any other eyewitnesses who can confirm the "kill." These statements were recorded when the pilot returned to the base from the mission....much like MACR reports. Perhaps you can locate these papers from the archives based on the "kill" dates !?! Also, you should look for the actual recommendation for the Silver Star...this will probably have detailed information on the events for the award as opposed to the "boilerplate" citation that was issued to the pilot.

I have a very complete gallantry grouping to a p-47 Pacific ace who was a squadron and then group commander during the war. I have a ton of these "kill" reports in the grouping that he had kept in his possession after the war. There is also several hardbound books containing a copy all the reports from the fighter group. Unfortunately its not the group that your pilot flew with in the war !!

I would bet the award of the Silver Star is based on the two "kills."

Thanks for showing !!

Vic

All, thanks for the comments and additional leads. I'm not aware of other items from Sweeney on the market, although perhaps they are out there. Mike, I successfully requested an AC SS citation from AFHRA last year for an 8th AF Bomber pilot. I also asked for Sweeney's info, but was unable to get it without the GO # (which I had for the other man). The victory records are a good lead, although I don't have the dates for his kills...

OK then!...this is probably the incident in which he was credited w/ two victories and won the Silver Star...although he makes no mention of his own kills. This statement is from the MACR of the man mentioned in the text...Sweeney died a few weeks after this event.

post-110-1257372456.jpg

Hey Andy !!

Beautiful grouping !!

Mike is correct regarding any "kills" that a fighter pilot scored. There were statements given by the pilot and also from any other eyewitnesses who can confirm the "kill." These statements were recorded when the pilot returned to the base from the mission....much like MACR reports. Perhaps you can locate these papers from the archives based on the "kill" dates !?! Also, you should look for the actual recommendation for the Silver Star...this will probably have detailed information on the events for the award as opposed to the "boilerplate" citation that was issued to the pilot.

I have a very complete gallantry grouping to a p-47 Pacific ace who was a squadron and then group commander during the war. I have a ton of these "kill" reports in the grouping that he had kept in his possession after the war. There is also several hardbound books containing a copy all the reports from the fighter group. Unfortunately its not the group that your pilot flew with in the war !!

I would bet the award of the Silver Star is based on the two "kills."

Thanks for showing !!

Vic

Vic,

I know you have mentioned this group a few times in the past. I'd sure love to see some photos of it. It sounds spectacular!

JD

316th FS 324th FG
Andy,

One other thing... do you have or have you tried to get copies of the reports generated when he shot down those two aircraft? If memory serves me right, I believe post-mission intel briefs were fairly detailed, and written / recorded and kept, and still to this day quite accessible. They must be, as every now and then one will read a news story about how some WW2 fighter pilot was recently credited with a victory based on a review of records, claims, and reports... Those victories would only come with verification generally, so there was most certainly documentation to support them.

Would the American Fighter Aces Association be the place to go for that? I realize your man may not be an ace, but I would think they would have an archivist or researcher who may be able to either pull those records for you and direct you to who can.

http://americanfighteraces.org/

Anyway, just some random thoughts in the event you have not already gone down that road. My suspicion is that maybe his Silver Star is tied to or related to his two kills, thus this coming to mind.

MW

With info on which Squadron and Group, you can request rolls of microfilm from AFHRA at Maxwell. You can then either go through them at the local library, or have them digitzed. Be advised though, its a lot of images. I did this for our group and ended up with 7 rolls of microfilm. I did manage to get every mission report and sqaudron, group and wing level summaries for every mission flown. I also got all the kill claims (including probables and damaged) for every action. Of course med and dental records came as well. No MACRs though.