Civil War medal help

Humboldt

Just received this from a relative, something my grandfather had when he passed away about 30 years ago.

Any help ID'ing it would be appreciated. Seems they are all Confederate POW camps but the way they're written in script instead of molded strikes me as odd.

I can find some medals that are kind of close but not exactly the same.

Thanks

Front:

101609084_resize.jpg

101609082_resize.jpg

Back:

101609085_resize.jpg

101609087_resize.jpg

101609088_resize.jpg

One of the badges of the Society of Prisoners of War for survivors of the Andersonville Prison. The bars list the other camps where the owner was held. Tough to find in any condition. I've seen more (3-4 maybe) with a more horizontal format.

Yes, this is a Civil War POW badge, with the names of five Confederate POW camps engraved on bars arranged like rungs on a ladder - hence the term "ladder badge".

If you have an interest in selling it, let me know.

Melanie

wow!!

Probably the third or fourth most desirable Civil War medal out there.

I think it's pretty neat myself.

Any idea why it's so hard for me to find anything like it, any background information, or estimated value?

Any idea why it's so hard for me to find anything like it, any background information, or estimated value?

It is hard to find information on medals like these because they are so rare. This is an extremely valuable and rare badge. Having five bars means that this person was held in five different POW camps and survived the whole ordeal. From the dates it appears to me that this individual was imprisoned in 1861 and at four camps in 1864. Does this mean he stayed in the first camp for several more years? I don't know, but the story of this person is most likely supremely interesting.

As for a value, based upon what I have seen in eBay sales over the past few years, my guess is anywhere between $1,000 and $3,000 depending on how many people are aware of the auction. Would it do even better at another auction site or auction house? I don't know. But, this medal would be an excellent addition to anyone's collection.

Kevin

It is hard to find information on medals like these because they are so rare. This is an extremely valuable and rare badge. Having five bars means that this person was held in five different POW camps and survived the whole ordeal. From the dates it appears to me that this individual was imprisoned in 1861 and at four camps in 1864. Does this mean he stayed in the first camp for several more years? I don't know, but the story of this person is most likely supremely interesting.

As for a value, based upon what I have seen in eBay sales over the past few years, my guess is anywhere between $1,000 and $3,000 depending on how many people are aware of the auction. Would it do even better at another auction site or auction house? I don't know. But, this medal would be an excellent addition to anyone's collection.

Kevin

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

I've had very little luck doing any research on it, short of the information available on the different POW camps. Any suggestions anyone has on trying to find out any more information about it or its owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

I would think a small Riker Mount Case.

It can be viewed through the protective glass, yet the medal is accessible.

DO NOT hang the medal by itself in any display case, this will ruin the fragile ribbon.

Fred Borgmann

Check out your family history for Civil War veterans since it came from your grandfather there maybe a family link.

Check out your family history for Civil War veterans since it came from your grandfather there maybe a family link.

Thanks for the suggestion.

To my knowledge there's no family connection.

He fought in WWI and also had a German Iron Cross that made it to me.

Odd mix.

While I can't help pin down the ID, this is almost certainly an officer's POW ladder badge. It starts off with Libby in 1864-- believe it says 1864, not 1861, correct?-- Libby is where many of the officers captured in the mid-1864 campaigns were processed through before being filtered out to other camps when Grant approached the city in May/ June of 1864. The other camps listed are consistent with a "route" that many Union officer POW's followed throughout the balance of the War. I don't believe, as an earlier post noted, that the individual who this belonged to ever was in Andersonville, as it is not noted anywhere on the badge, and with but few exceptions Andersonville held enlisted men almost exclusively.

Let me do some additional research. There was a Society for Ex-Pisoners of War whose motto was "Death before Dishonor"-- same as on the badge. It also looks (it is blurry in the pic so I can't tell) like your border says NYSV, which would be for New York State Volunteers, and that the medal is #19. Now to find someone who can ID who #19 belonged to. . . . .

While I can't help pin down the ID, this is almost certainly an officer's POW ladder badge. It starts off with Libby in 1864-- believe it says 1864, not 1861, correct?-- Libby is where many of the officers captured in the mid-1864 campaigns were processed through before being filtered out to other camps when Grant approached the city in May/ June of 1864. The other camps listed are consistent with a "route" that many Union officer POW's followed throughout the balance of the War. I don't believe, as an earlier post noted, that the individual who this belonged to ever was in Andersonville, as it is not noted anywhere on the badge, and with but few exceptions Andersonville held enlisted men almost exclusively.

Let me do some additional research. There was a Society for Ex-Pisoners of War whose motto was "Death before Dishonor"-- same as on the badge. It also looks (it is blurry in the pic so I can't tell) like your border says NYSV, which would be for New York State Volunteers, and that the medal is #19. Now to find someone who can ID who #19 belonged to. . . . .

Wow, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Just stopped by and noticed the updated post.

Thanks again.

316th, thanks for the link to your other thread, nice looking stuff.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the thread bump.

Just hunted this thread down and am curious if any new viewers might have any ideas.

I still have this but have not found out any additional information nor had an appraisal done.

Any suggestions or information appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

As someone mentioned, this prisons on yours were a common "route" for captured Union officers (and I agree the first date is 1864)....in fact I found one with just a short search:

"This is an extract from the Diary of Lieutenant Joseph N. Whitney, 2nd Rhode Island Cavalry, Company B. Originally captured at Port Hudson, LA on 27 November, he had been first sent to Libby Prison, Richmond, then Camp Oglethorpe, Macon, Georgia, onto Charleston, and then to Camp Sorghum, Columbia."

I would think one for an officer, with five prisons listed, has to be worth at least $2,000 even with a funky ribbon.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

That ebay medal is sure shiny :) As a coin collector I know cleaning pieces can make them look better but actually destroy value, I assume that holds true here as well.

Still up in the air as to where to go from here with this piece.

• 1 year later...

Would you recommend having this piece graded, and if so are there any recommendations of where to send it?

I've offered it to a couple of museums but have been turned down.

Thank you.