6 replies to this topic

#1 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:46 AM

A recent pick up on UK ebay. If I remember well in an old MCF topic Webcat called it as pre 1900 model and he did show a pic of one of them with two "trench art" added hooks for the belt. What is funny in this sack , apart the four holeburns (damn smokers!), is the superposed stencils. What units are they referred?

Attached Images

• Untitled_1.jpg
  • Untitled_2.jpg
  • Untitled_3.jpg

Edited by artu44, 25 May 2007 - 04:48 AM.

#2 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 599
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

A recent pick up on UK ebay. If I remember well in an old MCF topic Webcat called it as pre 1900 model and he did show a pic of one of them with two "trench art" added hooks for the belt. What is funny in this sack , apart the four holeburns (damn smokers!), is the superposed stencils. What units are they referred?

Great all you need is the leather strap for this!

The markings are for what appears to be the 38th Aero squadron. The Signal Corps insignia reflects the time when aviation units were part of the signal corps.

I can't remember what model haversack this is, either the 1878 or the 1885. On the other forum Webcat had a really nice article on these early haversacks.

#3 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

Great all you need is the leather strap for this!

The markings are for what appears to be the 38th Aero squadron. The Signal Corps insignia reflects the time when aviation units were part of the signal corps.

I can't remember what model haversack this is, either the 1878 or the 1885. On the other forum Webcat had a really nice article on these early haversacks.

Do you have a link for Webcat's post? I've read it dozen times on MCF and now in two days I wasn't able to find it again.

#4 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

Arturo that post is old enough that I had probably moved it to the Reference Section for Field Gear. It may have been merged with other similar posts as well. Try doing a search for Webcat2. I think that was the name he was using there.

#5 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 599
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

Here's the link to Webcat's article
http://www.militaria...showtopic=12800

You won't find a better article on the pre 1910 haversacks anywhere else.

#6 US CANTEEN GURU

US CANTEEN GURU

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 85
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

The change to the larger haversack occured in 1899 and most were sent to the Philippines to equip the troops involved in the so-called Philippine Insurrection. Many of these havesacks will be found with markings to the volunteer units that were in the Philippines and the U.S. Volunteer infantry regiments authorized in 1901.

With the adoption of the M1903 rifle the haversack was fitted with open hooks to attach to the new pocket cartridge belt. In 1898 the haversack was made with snap hooks.

The haversack with D-rings and canteen-haversack strap also adopted in 1899 continued to be manufactured for use by the militia reserves where this equipment remained in service and eventually replaced by the M-1910 equipment.

One author has described the 1900s as the decade of experimentation and there was quite a few equipment items that were sent for trial and adopted. Also during this period experimentation with materials like aluminum led to more serviceable and durable equipment.

#7 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Guru. The peculiarity of the haversack is the Aerosquadron stencil and because it was found in Europe we are authorized to think it saw service during WWI.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users