II Armored Corps / Second Armored Corps / 2nd Armored Corps
Jan 17, 1942
Oct 9, 1943 [Becomes XVIII Corps and then XVIII Airborne Corps]
World War II
The corps was first activated as the II Armored Corps at Camp Polk in Louisiana, 17 January 1942, then redesignated as XVIII Corps October 9, 1943, and became the XVIII Airborne Corps on August 25, 1944, assuming command of the 82nd and 101st Airborne divisions, as part of the preparation for Operation Market Garden.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE XVIII CORPS AND XVIII AIRBORNE CORPS.
Divisional history from:
Edited by Schottzie, 23 September 2007 - 12:13 PM.