Find of my life!

sgtwamp

I usually don"t post much and I definitely don't find stuff like this...sadly a local veteran, Grover Shinbeckler, passed away and I was given the opportunity to purchase his military items.

I'll post pictures starting monday and it will take all week due to the volume of the material but I'll give a quick list of the items.

One Ike jacket 82nd Airborne combat patch (greenback, two threads broke and I can see underneath), ruptured duck patch, US and MP clutchback collar discs, Sterling CIB w/sterling clutches, WW2 victory Ribbon, Good Conduct Ribbon, Bronze Star ribbon, Korean Service Ribbon, American Theatre ribbon, EAME ribbon with arrowhead, and one silver and bronze star. Two three year service stripes and five overseas stripes. There are also three fouregees attached. And a Presidential Unit Citation. Glider Badge pinback with two combat stars on 325th glider oval. MP armband.

Trousers with belt and buckle.

Shirt with 8th Army patch and 82nd combat patch (he was recalled for korea).

Khaki and Olive Drab ties.

One pair brown jump boots 6 1/2.

Overseas cap with light blue piping and patch with glider and parachute. Patch is stapled on.

Overseas cap with 17th Airborne patch stapled on.

2 82nd airborne patches, one whiteback one greenback.

5 Black with Yellow Airborne tabs.

1 Blue and White Airborne tab.

2 Felt Corporal stripes with the "T"

1 Blue and Red patch with parachute and glider.

1 Light Blue Oval patch with a glider on it.

2 Single felt 3 year service stripes.

4 overseas stripes.

Hollowbacked stamped US, Infantry, and MP collar brass, clutchback. One screback Infantry collar brass.

3 unused white armbands with US flag on it.

Blue boxed GCM, WW2 victory, American Theatre, and EAME (w arrowhead, silver and bronze star) medals.

Sweetheart Jewelry with 325 crest chain attach to 82nd pin.

Hitler youth armband with rzm tag.

Luftwaffe breast eagle patch

15-20 Stars and Stripes newspapers.

15-20 Yank Magazines, some are unrolled and still tied up with the stamps on the package.

1949 picture of him in uniform.

Two pictures of him in Korean War field uniform with his M1 Garand.

Silk map of France.

2 footlong pictures, one of C co. 325th Infantry. The other is 82nd Airborne Activation ceremony.

15+ army manuals and FMs. Learning German, Italian, North African Launguages etc.

Capture documents.

Postcards, V mails, all his letters home, etc.

travel maps of italy, France, Paris, Brussels etc.

Newspaper clipping of friends KIA, obituaries.

Great Crusade leaflet from Eisenhauer.

And a Boystown letter from and signed by Father Flanagan.

And much more.

Like I said I'll post pictures all this week all kinds of stuff I haven't opened yet.

WOW! Two War vet, Glider Rider, WW II. Excellent! What a great histroical grouping. Looking forward to seeing the photo's!

Glad it didn't get split to the four winds and is still all toghether!

Well Done!

BKW

Wow! All this and he was from my hometown too!

Great obit posted on line about him:

" A veteran of World War II and the Korean War, he participated in two glider invasions during the Normandy, France, D-Day Invasion. He returned home in 1945. "

And a note from the Veteran's History Project:

"Veteran stated he was an assistant to the 8210th Military Police prisoner of war processing unit and to a chaplain. He also stated he was part of the glider invasion of Normandy."

Add about half a dozen cheesecloth like material US flags. 82nd Airborne Association Reunion materials 1953 -1957. His dogtags from Korea.

The gentleman went to the same church as my boss, my boss knows that I collect military items and contacted the executor of the will. Good thing that I talk to my boss.

Airborne-Hunter
The gentleman went to the same church as my boss, my boss knows that I collect military items and contacted the executor of the will. Good thing that I talk to my boss.

See not everyone has a bad boss! :w00t: :pinch: :crying:

What an absolutely fantastic purchase! Thank you for taking the initiative in keeping this grouping together. Be sure to document all of it in high-res photos; I hope to see this collection get published at some point in the future. If anything, it'll add to our knowledge-base of the material culture of elite soldiers during WWII/Korea. Way to go!

John

His medals, unfortunately his Bronze Star was with the rest of his stuff.

Good Conduct. Philadelphia QM 7/24/1943

post-2638-1255310133.jpg

WW2 Victory QM Purchasing office, NY ?/21/46

post-2638-1255310246.jpg

American Campaign.

post-2638-1255310303.jpg