Aviatiors' Kit Bag, AN 6505-1

Sabrejet

This WW2 Aviators' Kit Bag was found in the cellar of a house in Bristol, England, during renovations. The present owners of the property had never seen it before so no-one knows exactly how long it had been there. It's quite grubby and one of the Crown zippers is broken..my guess is that it was probably used as tool-bag by someone in the post-war era. However, it is beautifully and clearly stencilled with the details of the AAF officer to which it was issued:

"CAPT. A.D. HALBER O-795389 (previously Lt. Halber) N.C.A.A.B, WILMINGTON, DEL."

I who he was and what happened to him...?

post-8022-1255189908.jpg

post-8022-1255189930.jpg

Nice find. Alexander D Halber Joiined the Army as an enlisted man, became a commissioned officer in the Army Air Force and then became part of the US Air Force when that was formed in 1947. He retired as a US Air Force colonel

This is from the 1947 Officer's Register:

halber47.jpg

And this shows his promotion to Colonel in the 1965 register:

halbercol65.jpg

He was still on active duty in 1969 and this article says he flew transports in the CBI theater:

halbercol69kelly.jpg

Nice find. Alexander D Halber Joiined the Army as an enlisted man, became a commissioned officer in the Army Air Force and then became part of the US Air Force when that was formed in 1947. He retired as a US Air Force colonel

post-214-1255190903.jpg

post-214-1255190930.jpg

He was still on active duty in 1969 and this article says he flew transports in the CBI theater:

post-214-1255191283.jpg

Terrific...thanks a lot for such a quick and informative response! Given that the bag was found in the UK, does that suggest that he was maybe assigned to the Eighth AF before shipping out to the CBI?

Ian :thumbsup:

Terrific...thanks a lot for such a quick and informative response! Given that the bag was found in the UK, does that suggest that he was maybe assigned to the Eighth AF before shipping out to the CBI?

Ian :thumbsup:

I found as reference to him arriving in New York in 1944 on a flight from Newfoundland, so I would guess he flew to Newfoundland form the UK.

I found as reference to him arriving in New York in 1944 on a flight from Newfoundland, so I would guess he flew to Newfoundland form the UK.

Thanks again. Suddenly that slightly tired old bag has "come alive" for me! (Glad you made sense of my initial posting despite my typo...I inadvertently deleted the word "wonder"!)

Ian

post-214-1255190903.jpg

post-214-1255190930.jpg

post-214-1255191283.jpg

I take it that "....A.A.B." as stencilled on the bag means something like Army Air Base? What about the "N.C" which precedes it...any ideas?

I take it that "....A.A.B." as stencilled on the bag means something like Army Air Base? What about the "N.C" which precedes it...any ideas?

New Castle Army Air Base in Delaware