Armor Triangles: Real vs. Made For Collectors

tredhed2

• 1 year later...

Your 306th is a post war commercially made patch for the 306th Tank Bn, OR, located in WA c. 1947 until withdrawn and combined with the 34th Armor.

The others all appear to be TM, or theater added, c. 1945. The 782nd is pretty crude, like the GI did it.

The 711th, 747th and 782nd are all WW2 tank bns.

Taylor Stevenson

Great! Thanks so much for the information. This thread is very informative and a huge help as I’m still learning the ropes when it comes to SSI. Thanks again!

Great! Thanks so much for the information. This thread is very informative and a huge help as Im still learning the ropes when it comes to SSI. Thanks again!

U Sir, are most welcome.

U might look for James Sawickis book on Tank Battalions of the US Army. Has DIs, but more importantly, the histories. Well worth it.

• 10 months later...

I've had this 995th Engineer Trreadway Bridge Company for a while but I never felt completely 100% sure that it was real.  So, do I have a good one or for the trash?

0995th Eng Trdwy Bridge Co-F.jpg

0995th Eng Trdwy Bridge Co-R.jpg

Looks period original to me......and if you look at the pinned thread “Armor Triangles: Real vs. Made For Collectors” above the standard posts like this one, you’d agree. But if not, will be happy to take it off your hands....

BILL THE PATCH

Nice patch, hey tredhed, why would a engineer unit wear a armored triangle?, I'm thinking armored cars maybe?, Or are they a separate armored unit protecting the eng unit. Very interesting patch

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

It seemed they, the 995th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company, may have  used among other vehicles, the wrecker tank or whatever it was called, maybe the modified M3 Lee Tank wrecker too.

found another 995th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company triangle. There are also repros of TREADWAY Tabs out there, here I guess any originals, probably occupation period German made ones, were worn under the 4th Armored Division Triangles

army-patch-995th-armored-engineer-co-red-numbers_1_c515c65a229cfad370d728dedde1ea37.jpg

s-400.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here's another bonkers made for collectors armor triangle. First of all, there was no 768thTank Bn that existed ever in the US Army.  The only two units during WW 2 numbered 768 were an FA Bn (no, not AFA) and an engr dump truck company.

Looking at the front, the numbers are off center and the 7 and the 6 look to have been made one way and the 8 another (very heavy embr). That diff is really visible on the back and if you look really close, it appears to be old paper used as a stabilizer only for the 7 and 6, white pick up bobbin for the 8) and some "OD" cable as pick up bobbin on the 7 and 6.   

Fake 768th front.jpg

fake 768th back.jpg

• 2 months later...
ArmorCurator

Since I was the last curator for the Patton Museum at Fort Knox, I managed to retain images of a number of objects in the collection which I gladly share whenever I can.  This SSI belonged to Colonel George S. Patton jr. - one of a small number he had made up for the officers in his tank brigade in mid to late 1918.  It is, unfortunately, faded due to UV exposure, but we all know the colors.  It was donated to the museum by BG George S. Patton (Patton's son) in the early 1970s.  Patton's proposed design was, of course, not accepted by Heraldry - who modified it to show equal colors.  The SSI is pieced silk fabrics.

1994.04.01.A.JPG

1994.04.01.B.JPG

ArmorCurator

We also were given a couple of examples of the accepted designed patch which were finally processed and cataloged in 1987.  I believe at least one of these came from LT Dieckhoff of the 344th Tank Battalion. (see the ID card) 

1987.36.21.A.JPG

1987.36.21.B.JPG

1987.36.22.A.JPG

1987.36.22.B.JPG

1994.04.02.B.JPG

1994.04.02.JPG

• 4 months later...

Here's a new one - a bad tab. This looks nothing like the known versions of the tab, and this is poorly executed, to boot.  It's from a screen shot, so I can't get a larger image.

I'd like to say the patch numbers are period original, but if the owner faked the tab or the owner bought it from whomever faked the tab.........    

Fake 740th w tab.jpg

• 2 months later...

Another fake XVIII Corps. Honestly, added numbers for a unit that never existed?  All the fully embr patches were made in error. Period. 

fake XVIII Amd Corps .jpeg

On 7/24/2021 at 7:56 PM, ArmorCurator said:

We also were given a couple of examples of the accepted designed patch which were finally processed and cataloged in 1987.  I believe at least one of these came from LT Dieckhoff of the 344th Tank Battalion. (see the ID card) 

1987.36.21.A.JPG

1987.36.21.B.JPG

1987.36.22.A.JPG

1987.36.22.B.JPG

1994.04.02.B.JPG

1994.04.02.JPG

ArmorCurator

This is the 740th Tank Battalion patch donated to the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor by one of the veterans.

459391.JPG.3fe118ee90cfaac4944514913288e2d9.JPG