Postings from my Negative collection

R Michael

Well I have been thinking this over since I bought my new scanner that is just awesome when it comes to black & white negatives. I am going to post all the intersting scans in one place instead of multiple threads, keep it cleaner that way. I have not been too selective on any particular subjects so I have many different subjects ranging from armor, AAAF, infantry, and Navy.

I hope you all enjoy viewing and find it a worthy endevour. As always any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

All the best, Mike

First up a Japanese "oka" that may be either a hard bunker or production area.

post-1387-1254886473.jpg

These two were also part of the grouping and thought I should post them as well. Shame I cant see the decal on the helmet better.

I really like this one a lot. A GI on a "liberated" NSU and looks like a P08 on his belt to boot

post-1387-1254888243.jpg

post-1387-1254888775.jpg

Mike,

thanks for taking the time and effort to post your scans. I'm sure there are a lot of us on the forum who want to see more! :thumbsup:

Terry

Salvage Sailor
next we have a nice B-17 shot taken in England? At least that is my guess.

I'd agree that this photo is most likely taken on an 8th AAF airfield "somewhere in England"

Grass field, bicycles, G model with no paint.....

General Apathy

post-344-1254903562.jpg

post-344-1254903589.jpg

Hi Mike, looking at the B-17 photo, my guess is that the number of people around it and the interest being shown in it comes from the the fact that it has possibly landed on a different squadrons airfield.

If you look over the top of the B-17 there are two tail fins that I believe to be A-20 aircraft, the tail fin is a different shape to the B-17, the tail plane on the one to the rear of the B-17 shows the tail plane to be angled unlike B-17's.

The other relevant item is the diagonal stripe markings on the top of the two tail fins, now some member may be able to recognise the striped markings and then name the airfield for that squadron, which will prove the photograph to be taken in England. :think:

Also could I add a thanks Mike for the photographs, very interesting. :thumbsup:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Mike,

You have some incredible pictures. I would enjoy seeing more of them. I never get tired of seeing old photographs like these. I am sure there are literally millions of personal photos that were taken that will never be published in books. Keep them coming..... :w00t:

Leigh....

Actually, those are B-26 Marauders of the 387th BG in the background so this was taken in England or France. Great images, thanks for sharing,

Mark

thanks guys for the informative postings. I really do appreciate it.

Here are a couple from an AAF grouping in N. Afrika.

post-1387-1254967896.jpg

post-1387-1254967904.jpg

Gonna throw a Kodachrome slide in here now and again. Here a couple that i picked up on ebay as a small grouping. I think these are from the late 40's as the air corp fellow looks like he is still wearing the army uniform. As for the Marine. I couldn't even begin to geuss the era.

post-1387-1254968153.jpg

post-1387-1254968344.jpg

here are a couple more before i call it quits and go to bed.

The recovery vehicle is part of the 3rd armor grouping.

post-1387-1254973473.jpg

post-1387-1254973486.jpg

post-1387-1254973583.jpg

General Apathy
Actually, those are B-26 Marauders of the 387th BG in the background so this was taken in England or France. Great images, thanks for sharing,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the i.d. on the tail markings of the B-26 Marauders, I just checked out the 387th website and found the following details.

The 387th arrived in England through Prestwick Scotland, and were based at station 162, Chipping Onger, Essex, 25 June 43 to 21 July 44, then moved to station 452, Stoney Cross, Hampshire, 21 July 44 to 20 Aug 44. So the B-17 photograph could have been taken at either of these two stations.

Here's the interesting part for me that during August they moved to an abandoned Luftwaffe airfield in France, this being about five miles from my present house here in Normandy

Cheers ( Lewis )

Cool shot of the Marine. Note the EGA on the holster!!! I'd guess he's a SeaGoing Marine, part of a Ship's detachment. Could be on a Heavy Cruiser, Battleship, or even an Air craft carrier. Time period? My first guess is 50's-60's based on the hairstyles and other indicators.

Charlie Flick

Mike, very nice stuff.

I particularly like the shot of the guy with the CIB. He is wearing a very robust private purchase shoulder holster with a small auto pistol. At the end of the war it was a common practice for GIs in the ETO to buy shoulder rigs like this to carry captured pistols in.

Thanks for the posts.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, Capa, and Jason.

I am gonna lean to the 50's on the Marine, and yes I think he is part of a ship bourne contingent as the other slides show him and other buddies on and around the ship. The AAF slide was part of the group and all slides are the red border kodachrome.

Charlie, I thought it may have been a private purchase and I think it is the same fellow that is on the NSU so good chance he prefered the shoulder rig to the hard shell holster. Me I woulda stuck with the hard shell, he kinda looks shabby with that rig.. :w00t:

Here are 3 more from another grouping and it is a shame he either didnt know how to use the camera or it was of poor quality. Any way I think after looking at the burned out german plane that is jet powered. You can see the engine he is sitting on and to the extreme fuzzy right it looks like the cone on a jumo? Who knows. I know I dont :)

post-1387-1255057222.jpg

post-1387-1255057238.jpg

post-1387-1255057250.jpg

Here are some scans of a negative grouping. It appears to be after VE/VJ day as there aren't any 50 cals in the B-17. Anyone have any idea on the one with the meatball? post WWII Japanese.

Mike

post-1387-1255225872.jpg

post-1387-1255225884.jpg

post-1387-1255225899.jpg

The B-17 is definitely post war. The aircraft markings using the red bar did not come into use until after 1947.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq2-1.htm

The B-25 with the "meatball" is actually a British Commonwealth aircraft, as shown by the flash on the tail fin. There were a variety of RAF roundels used during the war, and they varied with different theaters. In the Pacific, the red center was removed to avoid confusion with Japanese aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

Your photo is still odd though, because there should still be a center circle of either white or light blue. Looking closely at your photo, it looks like that has either been painted over on the aircraft, or the negative has been retouched. I cannot come up with a reason for either, unless the aircraft was in the process of being surplused.

The lettering style on the side of the aircraft was also common to British Commonwealth aircraft as well.

The C-47, also post war, would of had a bright orange or yellow central area outlined in black. This was to raise visibility.

That is what i thought and thanks for confirming it. As for the Brit bomber I defintely did not know that. If you notice there is a logo below the pilots seat. Cant get a better scan.

Mike

The B-17 is definitely post war. The aircraft markings using the red bar did not come into use until after 1947.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq2-1.htm

The B-25 with the "meatball" is actually a British Commonwealth aircraft, as shown by the flash on the tail fin. There were a variety of RAF roundels used during the war, and they varied with different theaters. In the Pacific, the red center was removed to avoid confusion with Japanese aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

Your photo is still odd though, because there should still be a center circle of either white or light blue. Looking closely at your photo, it looks like that has either been painted over on the aircraft, or the negative has been retouched. I cannot come up with a reason for either, unless the aircraft was in the process of being surplused.

The lettering style on the side of the aircraft was also common to British Commonwealth aircraft as well.

The C-47, also post war, would of had a bright orange or yellow central area outlined in black. This was to raise visibility.

havent had time to scan over the last week or so but thought I would put a few more on the thread. The sleeve on the WWI vet read "brooklyn 1940" looks like he may be from a vets orginization from the SSI?

post-1387-1255874992.jpg