Compass Pouches

2ad82recon

Charlie Flick

I am not sure precisely when this second type of Compass Pouch was adopted and reached the field. Craig Pickrall could probably answer that question with accuracy as I know he has studied the compass pouches in some depth.

As to your question as to when it is first seen in photos, we know that it showed up much earlier than late 1943. Dipping into my photo archives once again, I came up with the pic below. It was taken in Messina, Sicily, on 8-24-43.

Messina8-24-43LtJeffMcNeelyCompassP.jpg

craig_pickrall

Lloyd, could you please post front and back pics of the repro? I'm curious and it might be a help to others to prevent buying a repro for real price.

This is the near minty zippered I told you sold a little over 300$. If I wouldn't have seen bids grow up at the light speed, I would swear it's a repro.

I ever download pics of item which can be used as references.

post-67-1167111221.jpg

post-67-1167111267.jpg

post-67-1167111316.jpg

Greg Robinson

Fakes of these are a real worry now that we know high grade reproductions exist. I saw the one Lloyd bought off ebay from Stan Wolcott and it looked right as rain in the pics. Personally, I think I'd avoid buying one off ebay unless the price were so low it was basically a "no lose".

That USMC pistol magazine pocket I own (dated either 1940 or 1941) and apparently converted into a compass pouch would suggest that the early compass pouches were not in great supply early in the war. But the Marine Corps is famous for making do with whats available to them being at the tail end of the supply chain.

Gen. Clark is pictured here in Italy (near my home) visiting Nisei soldiers.

In these other Corbis pics he always bears his zippered pouch. I could buy a repro then tell the people it's the original zippered Gen. Clark gave my daddy when they passed the gothic line.

post-67-1167150496.jpg

post-67-1167150595.jpg

• 3 months later...

Two men and two early pouches. MTO looks like the best place for these pouches. Here it is inspection of the 92th ID by Maj. Gen. Edward M. Almond in March 1945.

post-75-1176328032.jpg

Charlie Flick

Good pic, Gregory.

One has to wonder how often the Major General consulted his own compass. Isn't his staff supposed to tell him where he is??

Nice shot of the General Officers holster and GO-issue Colt Pocket Automatic as well.

Thanks for the post.

Charlie

Speaking about compass pouches, I think this one I'm waiting from US would be quite interesting. There are chances it would be a WWI "private purchase". What do you think?

post-67-1176359682.jpg

craig_pickrall

That is a nice looking pouch. The wire hook seems thinner so it may be a WW1 era. I think it is probably a variation of the pouch for this compass.

post-5-1176385621.jpg

post-5-1176385641.jpg

post-5-1176385651.jpg

• 2 years later...
Jamecharles

Here my two 1st pattern compass pouch, the sizes are different.

I've won the first on ebay and i've payed it more than 220 USD, and the second , always on ebay , payed 30 usd, compass included .... (the item was listed as old military compass).

dscf1006u.th.jpgdscf1002o.th.jpgdscf1003.th.jpg

dscf1004b.th.jpgdscf1005i.th.jpg

look at 82nd glider with the 1st pattern compass pouch , he's wearing the most common mustard trousers with 2 added poket, made probably with the same material of the trousers, the photo was done in Italy

clark325nw1.th.jpg

• 1 year later...
craig_pickrall

These are fairly hard to find with the snaps rather than LTD's. Compare it to the one shown in post # 9.

• 1 month later...

Hi

- Does anyone knows who was indeed intedn to be issued those compass pouches ? Officier or NCOs ?

- Why it would have been rubberized ? if it comes across water, i don't thing a compass stops working .. ?

- What about mine, near pristine and undated ? good or repro ?

Thanks

post-3574-1303910388.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my repro:

P5218971.JPG

P5218966.JPG

P5218959.JPG

P5218968.JPG

The guy that makes these says:

After finding a small quantity of original vintage zippers I was able to perfectly recreate the early war WWII U.S. Army lensatic compass pouch. Vintage photographs document its use by senior ranking officers and others early in the war. Becuse I have a limited number of period zips, I will only be able to make a limited number of these pouches.

This compass pouch uses an original vintage small tooth brass zip and a ball pull chain. It also uses an original military double hook, 100% military cotton duck, HBT binding (as seen on originals) and shuttle loom 1” and 2” Type I webbing sewn to the reverse of pouch. Three original pouches were studied to create the pattern for this replica. On all three original samples, none were maker marked and dated. This replica follows that same pattern and is also void of any markings of any kind.

Original compasses fit the pouch perfectly as seen in photos. Dimensions of the pouch are as follows, Width 3 7/16”, 3 ¾” Deep (length). Overall length 4 7/16”.

They are excellent.

• 7 months later...

Hi

Does anyone knows why it would have been rubberized ? if it comes across water, i don't thing a compass stops working .. ?

Thanks

Hi

Does anyone knows why it would have been rubberized ? if it comes across water, i don't thing a compass stops working .. ?

Thanks

NO rubberizing, mildew treatment for PTO done by GIs.

craig_pickrall

There were lots of pouches that were treated to resist mildew. Most of them are related to firearms. Many are stamped MRT inside. In the case of the compass it was to protect from moisture more than mildew I suspect. In the case of medical supplies they were in some sort of protective wrapper inside the pouch so the pouch did not require treatment.

• 4 months later...

Last question : does the pouch intend to be issued to NCOs or COs ?

Squad leader or officers to check where they are heading for

Thanks

craig_pickrall

Who received them and why would vary greatly. You need to specify type of unit and MOS to get a correct answer.

My father was a T5 Medic and I have his compass with his name on it. I'm sure it wasn't issued to him though. He also carried a Carbine which was another no-no and wasn't issued to him. He was in the PTO.

craig_pickrall

I started to break it down for you according to the TOE for a standard Infantry Regiment but it is a whole lot more detail than I want to type. In a INF REGT there are many types of units down to even Squad level and the rate of issue varies by their assigned mission.

A rule of thumb you can work by follows. According to the TOE both Lensatic and Wrist Compasses were issued.

Lensatic Compass:

Every officer

Every scout

Some senior NCO's

Wrist Compass:

Every driver

Many NCO's

Every Electrical Linemen

Every Radio Operator

There are probably some others I missed too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have recently purchased a brass Wittnauer compass, the one with the U.S. stamped or engraved on the front, and a minty lensatic compass with an original pouch.

I have read that Army guys in the Pacific used the brass compasses. Is that right?

i will take photos of my great lensatic and case and post them here in the next few days.

craig_pickrall

I have recently purchased a brass Wittnauer compass, the one with the U.S. stamped or engraved on the front, and a minty lensatic compass with an original pouch.

I have read that Army guys in the Pacific used the brass compasses. Is that right?

i will take photos of my great lensatic and case and post them here in the next few days.

This should have been posted in the Field Gear Section. It will get a lot more attention there. This section is for old threads that are archived.