• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,208
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

Recently we’ve seen some outstanding firearms displays here on The Forum. I thought I’d add some photos of my own display as well. I don’t have the room to display rifles horizontally, which is a really neat way to show them off, so instead went with the traditional vertical layout. However, I don’t like to admire the undersides of all my rifles near as much as the topsides so I decided to build my rack accordingly.

I started with an old built-in cabinet behind the basement bar counter. Using the length of my longest rifle in the collection (geez those old Moisin Nagant M-91s are looong sticks) I cut down the cabinet to ensure clearance between the muzzle to the ceiling. I built a typical slotted arm to hold the barrels. In order to get the “topside out” look I desired, I added a small piece of molding to sit under the buttplates and force the rifles to lean into the barrel slots. After some trial and error I determined the optimum distance from the wall to locate this molding strip. I was surprised to discover the Mauser 98k’s were the only rifles to have problems with this “leaning it” method; their buttplates just seem to alter their balance much more than any of the other milsurps I have. I pushed the molding strip out from the wall a skosh more to accommodate the Mausers.

The basement wall is built with dark pine tongue & groove so the rifle stocks didn’t “pop” against the background. I added a light tan piece of fabric behind the rack to ensure a high degree of contrast. You’ll also note in the photos that I used that green rubbery material for kitchen cabinets as a cushion on the molding strip and on the countertop back to the wall for aesthetic reasons.

In order to secure the rifles, I bought some heavy chain which I then dipped in some liquid rubber goo to prevent any marring of metal surfaces. The chain is anchored at each end with a heavy lag bolt. I added a couple brass bodied padlocks at consistent intervals so I wouldn’t have to pull too much chain to remove an individual rifle from the rack.

Hope you enjoy the photos!
Terry
Rack_01__Small_.jpg Rack_02__Small_.jpg

#2 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

Rack_04__Small_.jpg Rack_03__Small_.jpg

#3 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

anchor bolt
Rack_anchor__Small_.jpg
padlock & chain
Rack_chain__Small_.jpg
cushioned molding
Rack_heel_plate__Small_.jpg
upper slotted rack
Rack_upper__Small_.jpg

#4 jhs1970426

jhs1970426
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,145
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

Very cool! thanks for sharing the story as to how you created the display! the chain is a good idea too... esp to keep us pesky jealous forum members from taking them :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#5 SGM (ret.)

SGM (ret.)
  • Members
    • Member ID: 626
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

D**n, Terry!

That is sweat! Great work and craftsmanship. It's very professional looking. You said it was behind your bar? Man, that's better'n any mirror. Nothing better than sipping your favorite frosty adult beverage while gazing on a wall full of beautiful rifles!

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

#6 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

thanks for all the comps gents. The rack holds 27 or 28 (can' remember) rifles. Some of the posted photos were taken at different angles to give you a different look. I don't use the wetbar much anymore but it sure is nice to just admire the collection!
Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users