Marine Cemetery in Belleau Wood

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
This letter was included in the mailing tube of the grouping I have of a USMC Corporal KIA there that won the Silver Star in the 6th Machine Gun. I know he was reburied at Arlington

Well, I was wrong. Dead wrong. The work started in 1919.

Jim

Christine1958Fury

thanks guy glad that helped. I think all you USMC guys have seen the rest of what was in the mailing tube but if not its in the "groupings" forum.

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

Thank you boisbelleau, I just took the time to examine each of your photos more closely, and one can easily see the progression of events from reduction and consolidation of the small cemeteries to one large one, repatriation of those who wished their loved ones home (about $3500 in those days), and final design for those remaining.

I wonder how they handled those buried on the field in combat without identification?

Great pictures, and I thank you for posting them. :D

Jim

How about this one.... Real early permanent cemetery:

post-5477-1326250642.jpg

Compare this to the video Teufel suggested.... Big difference..

BB

I wonder, if they still rest exactly here...

This is either in NW corner of woods where 16th Co assault on German lines occurred or along hill 181. There were remains exhumed from 181 as late as 1927. Among them was Cpl. Ben Cone 82nd Co. Recovered Dec. 5, 1924 recovered from hill 181 buried 30ft up the hill just south of the rock just outside the tree line. Near the grave was a helmet, gas mask and mess kit with "Cone" scratched into it 4 times and the name "Ben.". Remains appear as if one man handled the initial burial. Dental records matched Cones and a marksman pin still attached to the remnants of the tunic. Body buried with head facing down hill.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

• 1 year later...

I'm a couple of weeks late for this topic, but I was very glad to find it. My grandfather Robert C. Binkley was an ambulance driver with SSU 578, which saw its first action at the beginning of June 1918 at Belleau Wood. He had a camera, probably a Kodak Vest Pocket. I've scanned the contact prints he pasted into a French school notebook and put them up online. There are a few of cemeteries in the Belleau Wood area, and I'd love to identify them properly.

It looks like he took several pictures in July shortly after the fighting (some show German POWs carrying wounded on stretchers, but the roads are clear of rubble and there's no indication of ongoing fighting); but his unit was stationed in Chateau Thierry again after the armistice and through the winter of 1918-19, helping French refugees return to their villages, and he had plenty of chances to drive over the old battlefield then.

The cemetery pictures are here: