Marine Cemetery in Belleau Wood

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

I recently came across a photo of a cemetery in Belleau Wood (in and among trees). It was a large cemetery with a large (100+) group of Marines in the background evidently attending some sort of ceremony (according to the caption). It was probably in the 1919 timeframe, since there was a second battle in Belleau Woods involving the Army after the Marines departed. The graves were laid out neatly among the trees in neat rows. I thought I had saved the photo, but alas I did not. Does anyone have a copy of this photo? I think it was the cemetery located at or near Hill 181. It was much larger than the early Asine Marne Cemetery on the north end of the wood.

I have been kicking myself for two days for not saving that photo.

Semper Fi,

Jim Tarleton

I'm afraid these Belleau Wood cemetery photos are not what you are referring to as there no troops in them but hope you find them interesting.

The first was taken from the hill at Belleau Wood looking down on what became the Aisne-Marne Cemetery, probably taken in the mid-1920s based on the size. The next is I believe an earlier shot, likely early 1920s after the wooden crosses were erected. The marble crosses replaced them about 1930.

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Belleau_Wood_Map_cemetery_1.JPGBelleau_Wood_Map_cemetery_2.JPG

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
I'm afraid these Belleau Wood cemetery photos are not what you are referring to as there no troops in them but hope you find them interesting.

The first was taken from the hill at Belleau Wood looking down on what became the Aisne-Marne Cemetery, probably taken in the mid-1920s based on the size. The next is I believe an earlier shot, likely early 1920s after the wooden crosses were erected. The marble crosses replaced them about 1930.

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

post-503-1254239206.jpgpost-503-1254239217.jpg

Bob,

Thanks. I have both of those photos, but I appreciate the effort.

I have been trying to match photos of the Belleau Wood cemeteries to their original sites. There were two I didn't have, which were the two inside Belleau Wood proper. One of those was on the same latitude as the cemetery in the field on the downside of Hill 142 and the other was the one I think I found which was on or near Hill 181 in the woods. Actually that photo could have been either of the cemeteries in the wood. The bodies in the Hill 142 cemetery (#19) were originally disinterred and moved to a cemetery in the northern part of the woods (not Asine-Marne). The bodies in that cemetery were subsequently disinterred yet again and some moved to the Aisne-Marne, although not all. At least one body went missing completely during the second move (1st Sgt Daniel Amos Hunter), probably more.

Wise's infamous assault kicked off from a cemetery wall. You can barely make out that cemetery from the photo of a Marine pointing out the track the Wise assault took (he is standing on a door in a decimated building).

I am still kicking myself for losing that photo. Now that I know exactly what that photo looks like, I was hoping someone on the forum could help. Research sucks at times.

Semper Fi,

Jim Tarleton

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

I received an email stating that the photo was in Dick Camp's book "Devil Dogs at Belleau Wood". Checked a friend's copy, and sure enough, it is in the lower left hand corner of page 116. The one I found on the net was much larger (pixel wise), and was captioned as "US Marines attend ceremony at cemetery in Belleau Wood", and was dated X-X-1919. Does anyone have a large copy of this photo?

I just love this forum. "If it ain't here, it ain't nowhere!"

Semper Fi,

Jim Tarleton

[email protected]

Burgaw, NC

Jim,

You may have done this already, but just in case, you might try back tracking and check your viewing history to find the web site you came upon with that photo.

Frank

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

I tried that, but since I use the computer to do research, I visit 100's of web sites per day, and I am not sure of the day I found the photo. Thoughtful answer though.

Jim

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

This is the picture from Camp's book. Anyone recognize the cemetery? Anyone have a higher resolution of this photo?

As one can see, this is a large cemetery, larger than Aisne Marne at the time. There appear to be a couple of hundred Marines attending the service. From the foliage and the departure from France of the 4th Brigade, this photo appears to have been taken in early 1919.

I asume it to be the cemetery at Hill 181, but it could be the cemetery in the north end of the wood. Cemetery #19 Marines were moved to the cemetery in the north end of the wood, so it could easily be that cemetery.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Semper Fi,

Jim

post-6343-1254791269.jpg

Have you been to the Scuttlebutt & Smallchow website recently? They have a number of vintage cemetery pics from Belleau Wood. Might help in comparison.

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Have you been to the Scuttlebutt & Smallchow website recently? They have a number of vintage cemetery pics from Belleau Wood. Might help in comparison.

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Bob,

I am unfamiliar with that website. Do you have a link? I am on go for anything.

Semper Fi,

Jim

• 1 year later...
boisbelleau
This is the picture from Camp's book. Anyone recognize the cemetery? Anyone have a higher resolution of this photo?

As one can see, this is a large cemetery, larger than Aisne Marne at the time. There appear to be a couple of hundred Marines attending the service. From the foliage and the departure from France of the 4th Brigade, this photo appears to have been taken in early 1919.

I asume it to be the cemetery at Hill 181, but it could be the cemetery in the north end of the wood. Cemetery #19 Marines were moved to the cemetery in the north end of the wood, so it could easily be that cemetery.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Semper Fi,

Jim

post-6343-1254791269.jpg

Hello,

This photo is not a cemetery near Belleau. After close observation it is most likely the American cemetery in Coblenz, Germany in 1919. I am member of a French forum dedicated to the study and collecting of AEF material and we have debated this photo. I will ask permission from one of the members to see if I can use one of his photos which shows this cemetery under a different angle.

Therry/Boisbelleau

PS... Many of the cemetery photos on Scuttlebutt web site are from my collection. If there is interest I will be more than happy to post some here.

• 7 months later...
USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Here is the photo... Same cemetery different angle.

Thanks to Doughboy18 from http://aefcollections.forumactif.net/ for his help and permission for use.

Boisbelleau

I must agree that the two look to be the same. I have got to quit trusting books to be correct. Thanks very much.

I did find a 1920 travel guide (believe it or not) that describes the Belleau Wood area as it appeared in 1919, including the location of various cemeteries. I was astounded to discover there were more cemeteries than I previously thought or had seen published. It is a true find. When the pictures were taken, there were still bodies lying on the surface on Hill 181 and probably other areas.

Jim

Good Thread: At the time of the Armistice there were about 200 cemeteries and countless isolated burials of US remains in France . These remains were disinterred and reburied in the Meuse-Argonne Cemetary in Romagne and the St. Mihiel Cemetary near Thiacourt and others as well. When NOK requested return of remains to USA some of these remains were disinterred and shipped home. Bottom line is most Doughboys buried in USA previously were buried in one or two or even posibly three graves in France, before being brought home. Best regards Steve McG

ww1collector

What is the name of the ABMC cemetery adjacent to Belleau? I had a tour of the woods and surrounding areas about 10 years ago. Dave

Good Thread: At the time of the Armistice there were about 200 cemeteries and countless isolated burials of US remains in France . These remains were disinterred and reburied in the Meuse-Argonne Cemetary in Romagne and the St. Mihiel Cemetary near Thiacourt and others as well. When NOK requested return of remains to USA some of these remains were disinterred and shipped home. Bottom line is most Doughboys buried in USA previously were buried in one or two or even posibly three graves in France, before being brought home. Best regards Steve McG

There are ABMC cemetery maps with burial plots when they were consolidating these temporary burials. There were temporary cemeteries at BW of course and the consolidated cemetery before they began notifying NOK of the repatriation was located exactly where the current Aisne Marne is today. There were literally dozens of these finalized consolidated cemeteries before they established the ABMC cemeteries. I'll upload some images I took of the Belleau Wood related cemetery maps they have at NARA College Park.

Here are a few of my photos. I have probably over 200 images of Belleau Wood alone, quite a few are of the cemeteries I'll go through and see what I can pull and scan.

post-2182-1325809859.jpg

What is the name of the ABMC cemetery adjacent to Belleau? I had a tour of the woods and surrounding areas about 10 years ago. Dave

The Aisne Marne Cemetery

Jim the cemetery wall you are refering to in regards to 2nd Bn 5th Marines is located in the town of Marigny which is southwest of Hill 142 and due west of Champillon. The cemetery wall was the battalion PC during the battalions stay in the line near Les Mares Farm. The PC moved to Bois St. Martin after the 6th when 2/5 moved there in a disasterous miscalculation in the predawn hours of June 7, one that cost them a company commander, John Blanchfield of the 55th Company. I have attached a photo of the cemetery at Marigny. It's an old town cemetery that was there long before the battle and remains there today. It is located in the northeastern outskirts of the town. Wise's PC was against the wall on the right.

post-2182-1325820416.jpg