• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:03 PM

Got this from the Vet who brought it home in 1964. It's chambered for something like a 9mm. A Parabellum round doesn't quite fit. Crude, but effective. Carved from a hard tropical wood, with steel working parts, and a brass floor plate. And a lanyard loop! It's about the size of a M1911. Painted Horizon Blue. Maybe using captured French paint?

MVC_083S.JPG
MVC_084S.JPG

#2 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 17,036 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

It was either a brave or desperate man who carried that thing with a round chambered in it, and an even braver man that would have pulled the trigger. The fact that these things just didn't blow up in their owner's hands is amazing.

#3 Jason G

Jason G
  • Members
    • Member ID: 271
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:48 AM

That is a serious 'Viet cong' ersatz made piece!

#4 Mr-X

Mr-X
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,389
  • 4,640 posts
  • Location:The Central Highland's of Victoria, Australia - Uc Dai Loi

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:30 AM

Very interesting piece.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

#5 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Robin That is interesting. Thanks for posting. I have had to shoot a number of similar devices and somehow most held together, at least long enought to get sample bullets and ctg cases. I have a better job now (at times :lol: )

How does it work? Is it semi or single shot? A friend has the matching carbine to your pistol. We never measured the bore but I thought it was 9mm Makarov. His is blowback with no provision for locked breech and a light bolt so I doubt it it would handle 9mm Parabellum more than once.

#6 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

"How does it work? Is it semi or single shot? A friend has the matching carbine to your pistol. We never measured the bore but I thought it was 9mm Makarov. His is blowback with no provision for locked breech and a light bolt so I doubt it it would handle 9mm Parabellum more than once."

This pistol sounds just like your friends carbine. Simple blow back, but a single shot. Pull back the bolt until the sear engages a notch in the bottom of the bolt. Drop in a round. Pull the trigger and pray that you don't shoot yourself. There is no extractor, just a fixed firing pin. There is sort of a safety notch at the top of the bolt slot. The cocking handle is just a piece of heavy wire, folded back on itself. You lift the wire until it engages in the safety slot.

#7 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

"How does it work? Is it semi or single shot? A friend has the matching carbine to your pistol. We never measured the bore but I thought it was 9mm Makarov. His is blowback with no provision for locked breech and a light bolt so I doubt it it would handle 9mm Parabellum more than once."

This pistol sounds just like your friends carbine. Simple blow back, but a single shot. Pull back the bolt until the sear engages a notch in the bottom of the bolt. Drop in a round. Pull the trigger and pray that you don't shoot yourself. There is no extractor, just a fixed firing pin. There is sort of a safety notch at the top of the bolt slot. The cocking handle is just a piece of heavy wire, folded back on itself. You lift the wire until it engages in the safety slot.

Thanks Robin
So an "open bolt", single shot? I wonder if the bolt has enought mass to survive. (Don't try it for my morbid curiosity, you might loose a body part. :lol: ) I'll bet it would work and may not need an extrator but use the force of the ctg to extract like some Berettas. Next time I see my friend I will take some pics of his carbine. It was closed bolt, semi and had an 8-10 shot mag. As near as I remember we only found file marks and not machine marks, so someone spent a long time on it and had quite a bit of "junkyard" skill.

#8 DiGilio

DiGilio
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,102
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

I always found VC made weapons very very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I will be able to pick one up eventually.

#9 TGUS

TGUS
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 8,072
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

Neat piece. Do you have papers with it?

#10 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Neat piece. Do you have papers with it?

No papers. I didn't think to ask the vet, but I will now.

#11 Dirteater101

Dirteater101
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,381
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:20 AM

I think (keeping with the french theme) it is chambered (is that even the right word for one of these?) in that odd 7.65 french long or 9mm browning (.380) both french military calibers.... Would make it an early peice, made during or shortly after french occupation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users