• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,311 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

Shown here is a pair of EGA collar insignia still attached to the issue card, when I removed one of them to look at the rear I noticed that they were ' Made in England '. If you look on the card where the one has been removed it's possible to see the outline of where the insignia has sat all these years.

I would be interested to hear your comments or thoughts on the time frame, rarity, or value of these, if you would like to pass comment as there are differences between here and in the states. thanks gentlemen.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Attached Images

• post_344_1179502935.jpg
  • post_344_1179502957.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 24 July 2007 - 02:31 AM.

#2 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:51 AM

So who would they have been issued to? Seems unlikely that a firm in England would manufacture these for export to the US, especially in wartime. I'm betting those were manufactured prior to the outbreak of WW2 but that's just a guess. Whatever and whenever.....they're nicely made.

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

Hi Lewis, here is a reference post for you to review regarding this set:

http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=4536

http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=4535

You have a nice pair with good patina, for someone whom is looking to outfit a period uniform, a good bet is $75-100. For a matched set in pristine condition, maybe $125. BTW, I would not suggest holding onto the idea the unmarked card is original to the emblems http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif . Cards for emblems are as interchangable as keyboards on computers and outlines can be made in moments... IMHO ;) . THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US. Best regards;

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 24 July 2007 - 02:32 AM.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

Nice set of EGAs there! I'm one of the people Darrell mentioned, as I have yet to get a set of those. Can you tell if the base metal is brass? Looks to be from the pictures.

Greg, those are the 1921 pattern. Along with the '26 pattern enlisted birds they represent a prolific time in English made insignia for the Marine Corps. Gaunt did a lot of business in the inter-war years as well as afterward.

Jeremiah

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:28 AM

... a similiar set

Attached Images

• misc_ega_004.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 24 July 2007 - 02:34 AM.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:39 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users