My Dad's unit patches

BEAR

Thanks ADMIN for the deletion. My Mum used to say "be careful what you ask for or you just might get it", well, I got what I asked for. I posted 3 messages with the 3rd message being a copy of the 2nd. The 3rd post is what I needed deleted, oh well, too much pumpkin pie this time. Again, my bad.

I'll try this again. I hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving with friends and family. We had my daughter and son in law and a special guest. He was a young soldier stationed at Ft. Lewis and has been attending our church for the past month. Oh Lord, they look so young!

Here are some of my Dad's unit patches(all post war). He spent 28 years in the Army.

1. 3rd ID: 40s(Bamburg, West Ger.), 50s (Schweinfurt, West Ger.) I know it's

backwards

2. 1st Army: 40s

3. 2nd Army: 40s

4. ROTC, Carnegie Tech, Pittsburg: 50s

5. 4th Army: 50s

6. Unknown (may not even be his)

7. A USAREUR subunit, Orleans, France: 50s&60s

8. 3rd Army, Ft. McPhearson, GA: 60s

9. 7th ID, Korea: 60s

10. USAREUR, Bremerhaven, Germany: 60s

craig_pickrall

WOW he had quite a career. Moved around quite a bit.

Patch # 6 is the 7th LOG (Blue should be to the right)

#7 is Theater Area Support Command

WOW he had quite a career. Moved around quite a bit.

Patch # 6 is the 7th LOG (Blue should be to the right)

#7 is Theater Area Support Command

Thanks, craig_pickrall

Somehow I don't think my Dad was in a logistic command (patch #6). So I must have got that patch from one of his friends. Patch #7 I remember now as being a unit called ComZ, France. Theater Area Support Command may have been a later name. They were all booted out of France by 1967 anyways.

Yes, we did move around a lot, every 2 to 4 years. When I was 15, I had only spent 5 years in the States and that wasn't 5 consecutive years either. About the same in my career, every 2 to 4 years. Now that I'm retired I've lived in one place, one house for 13 years (and my wife and I are going STIR CRAZY :o)

1. 3rd ID: 40s(Bamburg, West Ger.), 50s (Schweinfurt, West Ger.) I know it's

backwards

2. 1st Army: 40s

3. 2nd Army: 40s

4. ROTC, Carnegie Tech, Pittsburg: 50s

5. 4th Army: 50s

6. Unknown (may not even be his)

7. A USAREUR subunit, Orleans, France: 50s&60s

8. 3rd Army, Ft. McPhearson, GA: 60s

9. 7th ID, Korea: 60s

10. USAREUR, Bremerhaven, Germany: 60s

Just looked at some old photos of my dad in Bremerhaven, Germany and he was wearing patch #7. So I don't know where the # 10 patch USAREUR came from.

craig_pickrall
Just looked at some old photos of my dad in Bremerhaven, Germany and he was wearing patch #7. So I don't know where the # 10 patch USAREUR came from.

After you mentioned COM Z I did a little checking. I think I have your sequence of events now. COM Z dates back to WW2. It was a separate command with it's own SSI during WW2. It was discontinued as a separate command on FEB 28, 1946 and became part of HQ European Theater of Operations. On AUG 2, 1945 HQ, ETOUSA had received approval to wear what had been the SHAEF patch but the color of the field was changed from Black to Blue. That is your patch 10. The design was later changed to patch 7. When patch 7 was first used it was again known as COM Z which was later changed to Theater Area Support COmmand. That is the last name the unit had before it was disbanded.

I checked on patch 6 also. It was in Japan and Korea as support for 8th Army. He might have picked that up when he was in the 7th DIV.

I checked on patch 6 also. It was in Japan and Korea as support for 8th Army. He might have picked that up when he was in the 7th DIV.

Good possibility, however I think my Dad was a Battalion or Brigade Sergeant Major in the 7th Infantry Division because all his fatigues had the "bent beer can" (Hourglass) patch on them.

Thanks for checking on the COM Z, I guess my memory hasn't gone as far as I thought.