• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 16,983 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

Unbelievable group of 30 EGA's in singles and pairs being sold tonight. Here is the sellers page: http://shop.ebay.com...=...from=&_ipg= and some are downright rare. Posting some of these for discussion and eventual use in our reference area. Here is a pair that I would term as being "rare" - a word I am inclined to use ever so little. These patrol jacket emblem from these overall appearance, were likely not jeweler made, but I have no idea or knowledge of how they were produced While one does have "issues" (broken prong) I see it as no less desirable as these can be corrected. s/f Darrell

_B_NJyww_mk___KGrHgoOKkYEjlLm_TDiBKqZzw1wRw___12.jpg _B_NJzUg_2k___KGrHgoOKkYEjlLm_TDiBKqZzztJ6Q___12.jpg

Gen_Little_1903___collar_emblem.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 18 September 2009 - 07:16 AM.

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

the differences here...shininess, and the back casting makes me wonder if they are original or quality repops?

from the B Manifor collection...

Attached Images

• post_1737_1190010649.jpg
  • post_1737_1190015123.jpg

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 16,983 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:09 AM

CONGRAT'S to Brian Manifor...! They are indeed magnificant and I believe you won an exceptionally undervalued price as well. s/f Darrell

for anyone who did not see the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=200382715459

#4 Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,737
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

CONGRAT'S to Brian Manifor...! They are indeed magnificant and I believe you won an exceptionally undervalued price as well. s/f Darrell

for anyone who did not see the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=200382715459

Thanks for the kind words. I believe they are real, but close "in person" examination is the true test. I think that I got that them for a good price. I have a Span Am Brevet Medal Medal recipient P1875 patrol coat that they can hopefully go on someday. The coat belonged to Capt Kelton, who was with Huntington's Battalion at Guantanamo Bay. I purchased one other EGA tonight that has some issues, but we will see how severe in person. All I know is that this guy scored when he found them at the "gun show" all together.

Brian

#5 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

Bro, you know who's collection they would be in if I was on top of my game and not playing in the sand box?

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 16,983 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

Bro, you know who's collection they would be in if I was on top of my game and not playing in the sand box?

True Mike - but you came in a good second :pinch: on the "best in show" emblem.... can't win them all. s/f Darrell

#7 MarCorp67

MarCorp67
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 2,974
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Congrats on your new purchase, I agree with you it was a good price. You and your brother are a hard group to bid against.

All the best and Semper Fi.

Ronnie

#8 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

I had a bid in there, too. But unlike you all, I haven't struck oil yet

#9 Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

I had a bid in there, too. But unlike you all, I haven't struck oil yet

Struck gold? Brig...you can always put in an officer package!

#10 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

could they guarantee me Infantry?

#11 Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

You know how the Marines are....LOL. They won't guarantee you anything but a paycheck. Now....on the other hand, you could guarantee yourself infantry by finishing in the top of each of the thirds at TBS. So, it is possible to get what you want if you plan it right. Around 28-35 0302's are selected per TBS class.

Brian

#12 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 16,983 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:35 AM

Hang around long enough and you can qualify - apply for the "gunner program" :thumbsup:

#13 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

Brig,
I'll let you in on a few of my little secrets to success. My EGA purchases are all funded through E-bay purchases and subsequent re-sales. Not a cent of my paycheck goes to the collection. Rank has nothing to with it. I live in San Diego (paying a mortgage on a new home), have two well dressed children, a wife that wears no other jewelry but Tiffany, and likes European cars. Trust me, my career affords only that lifestyle for my family.

It's an easy premise...let's start at $100. Take one of those dollars and buy an item that is worth $2, sell that item and take that $2 and buy something that you can sell for $4, then $8, then $16, then $32, and so on. But do that with each dollar of that initial $100 and try to make it so that you make more than 100% on that initial dollar and your pot grows even quicker. The trade-off is in time (its a consuming process), having an eye for what is good, and knowing the market.

I also suggest staying away from the $50-200 commonplace items and save for quality. The lesser end stuff is always, and I mean always around. Take quality over quantity as it will inevitably hold its value longer and show larger gains in the long term and in the short will retain value (if you have to loose it quick for a better purchase). No "old" EGA has ever gone down in value.

There my cat's are out of the bag. Meow!

Mike

#14 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,985 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

Brig,
I'll let you in on a few of my little secrets to success. My EGA purchases are all funded through E-bay purchases and subsequent re-sales. Not a cent of my paycheck goes to the collection. Rank has nothing to with it. I live in San Diego (paying a mortgage on a new home), have two well dressed children, a wife that wears no other jewelry but Tiffany, and likes European cars. Trust me, my career affords only that lifestyle for my family.

I have sold stuff to Mike and his wife did not look at me like I was taking the kids milk money, so he must be on to something :)

#15 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

I know I've given him some milk money ;)

and while I have, over the past several months, began focusing much more on quality...I'm also trying to knock out the 'common' WWII emblems and such along the way. Then when they finds are fewer and far between, I have the chance to save funds along the way. Right now I cannot jusity buying a 1500 emblem when I'm lacking some basics...plus I know eBay...I'm getting outbid by you gentlemen ;)

Edited by Brig, 21 September 2009 - 05:32 PM.

#16 Fly USMC

Fly USMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,056
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:21 PM

Buy low and sell high.

I have been using Mike's basic philosophy for a few years now (Except the tiffany items for my wife). Works for me even with the more common items. Even though I am making money, my wife still gets pissed every time I win an auction.....I probably should try the Tiffany approach.

About the 0302 vs Gunner....."The Marine Corps is obviously an infantry centric organization. In an infantry unit one of the most respected Marines is the Gunner"... This Quote came from the retired Marine Gunner, now a contractor that I had dinner with tonight.

Where ever you end up in the Corps, it will be what is best for the Corps. You can, however shape that a little. The best way to do this is performance. From what I can remember from TBS, the top guy generally gets his choice. This was definitely the case in flight school.

Don't let the possibility of not getting what you want stop you from trying

Oh, by the way,. Realy nice emblems. If I come up to Bridgeport, can I see them in person?

Semper Fly
John

#17 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

Ha; go Recon!

#18 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

The second of three final pre-deployment purchases. Nothing new, we've seen at least a set and a half of this very style discussed here on the forum, but a rather desirable emblem nonetheless. Sadly, a broken prong

Attached Images

• 101_0929.JPG

#19 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 16,999 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

reverse

Attached Images

• 101_0930.JPG

#20 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 16,983 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:50 AM

Perfectly fine example of a very hard bird to find! Congrats!

More seen here: http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=54880

#21 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 16,983 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)