Photo

My new Remington Model 513T (US Property marked)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,225
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

Here is a new rifle I just acquired for use in an upcoming Appleseed Shooting Clinic to be held here in upstate NY. Base upon the serial number this rifle was manufactured in 1965.

fulllengthleftside.jpg

fulllengthrightside.jpg

Remingtonlogo.jpg

MatchMasterlogo.jpg

For the most part the stock is in nice shape though it is starting to show its age.

leftforestock.jpg~original.jpg

leftmidsection.jpg~original.jpg

leftbuttstock.jpg~original.jpg

rightforestock.jpg

rightmidsection.jpg

rightbuttstock.jpg~original.jpg

Edited by DesertRatTom, 15 June 2015 - 03:57 PM.
Transfer pictures from off site storage. drt

#2 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

On the rear is a Redfield Model 75 peep sight and on the front a rather minuscule (at least for my eyes) blade front sight.

rearpeepsight.jpg~original.jpg

Redfield75rearsight.jpg~original.jpg

frontsightblade.jpg~original.jpg

At some point I would like to find a dove-tailed front sight base and a globe front sight to replace the original blade front sight (of course I will keep the original set up).

The best part of the rifle from my perspective (besides the awesome accuracy) is the rifle's military provenance as demonstrated by the nice parkerized finish and numerous "U.S. Property" stamps and the magic marker written "Property of Govt".

USPropertymarkbarrel.jpg~original.jpg

USPropertymarkreceiver.jpg~original.jpg

PropertyofGovtmarker.jpg~original.jpg

And, back to the matter of accuracy; it was a quick-n-dirty sighting-in at 25 yards before work, but, I am pretty pleased with the 5-shot group on the right and the 10-shot group on the left.

nicegroups.jpg~original.jpg

Tim

Edited by DesertRatTom, 15 June 2015 - 04:11 PM.
Transfer pictures from off site storage. drt

#3 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,208
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

most excellent! the 513 is a very neat rifle; looks like you got a good one! :thumbsup:
Terry

#4 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:39 AM

Sweet! Congrats, Tim! I have a Mossberg 44US that I got from the CMP about 10 years ago, and although it's not a handsome rifle like your Remington, it's a real tack driver. I shoot it in our Club's 50 yd. benchrest matches. I did the same thing you are talking about doing to the front sight; I installed a globe sight and put away the post sight. Then, a friend of mine who knows what he's doing did a trigger job on it. It outshoots some much more expensive rifles. You are going to LOVE it! :thumbsup:

#5 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:07 AM

Oh yes, I meant to say this too is a CMP rifle that was purchased by the original owner back in 2003. I have the certificate and original box as well. Also, regarding accuracy I should point out that my groups were made using run-of-the-mill Remington High Velocity rounds. I cannot wait to see what this rifle (and I) can do when I have more time at the range and run some higher quality Standard Velocity rounds (like Aguila, CCI, or Federal) through it :thumbsup: .

Tim

Edited by tsellati, 11 September 2009 - 04:13 AM.

#6 Capazo

Capazo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,410
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

What was the utility of this gun in the army? Only for competition??

Regards

#7 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

What was the utility of this gun in the army? Only for competition??

Regards

That is an interesting question and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will provide an answer. From what I understand/assume (which is limited and could be incorrect) the Remington Model 513T, Winchester Model 75 and Mossberg Model 44US were training rifles. However, by 1965, when this rifle was manufactured, the M14 was the standard weapon of choice so I am surprised if the 513T was stilled used for training purposes. Why would the Army not requisition the manufacture of M14 style rifles in .22 LR? One possibility is that these older style rifles were still used for training purposes because rifles such as the Remington Model 1903A4 was still in use by snipers (or had a new platform been introduced by this time?). Yet another explanation, which you alluded to, is that these rifles were used by the military in marksmanship competition shooting.

Maybe, all the the above is correct. We will see what others have to say.

Tim

Edited by tsellati, 11 September 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#8 J_Andrews

J_Andrews
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,689
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

This and other .22 bolt actions were used for INDOOR training, mostly of ROTC (junior and senior, that is high and college) cadets.

Once they had reached competency with these, they might -- weather, time facilities and "big gun" availablity -- go to an OUTDOOR range to try M-1's (my era) and later M-14's or M-16's.

#9 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

This and other .22 bolt actions were used for INDOOR training, mostly of ROTC (junior and senior, that is high and college) cadets.

Once they had reached competency with these, they might -- weather, time facilities and "big gun" availablity -- go to an OUTDOOR range to try M-1's (my era) and later M-14's or M-16's.

I am curious, were they also used for military shooting competitions or were other rifles such as ANSCHÜTZ target rifles used for such marksmanship programs?

Tim

#10 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 528
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

I was an ROTC cadet at Bowling Green State Univ -- 1959-61. This is exactly like what weused there and then I had my own non-US Winchester 75 which I preferred because of the comb height. I think the GI 513T's we used had a different butt shape and comb height -- just like the M1. I think I recall the blade front sight was more like that of the M1/M14 as opposed to the aperature sight you are planning to to install.

G

#11 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

Tim,

For some reason the Mossbergs love the Aguila SV. It will outshoot much more expensive ammo; at least the lots I've tried. That's a .22 for you!

#12 cherokee tj

cherokee tj
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,645
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

When I was at Fort Gordan Ga. on the weekends we would go down to Special Services and they had M44s and 513s you could check out and shoot on their shooting range.

#13 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:39 AM

I was an ROTC cadet at Bowling Green State Univ -- 1959-61. This is exactly like what weused there and then I had my own non-US Winchester 75 which I preferred because of the comb height. I think the GI 513T's we used had a different butt shape and comb height -- just like the M1. I think I recall the blade front sight was more like that of the M1/M14 as opposed to the aperature sight you are planning to to install.

G

Gil,

Excellent information. I guess this makes more sense than my suggestion that they would issue a .22 LR mock up of an M14. Instead, it is easier to attache the same M14 sight system on the trainer.

Tim

#14 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:00 AM

Tim,

For some reason the Mossbergs love the Aguila SV. It will outshoot much more expensive ammo; at least the lots I've tried. That's a .22 for you!

Cool, I have a whole brick of Aguila .22 LR Standard Velocity - Centurion Golden Eagle I picked up through the CMP and also 975 rounds of Federal AutoMatch .22 LR Target Grade ammo. This should keep Becky and I plenty busy with our rifles at the upcoming Appleseed Shooting clinic :D!

Tim

#15 Capazo

Capazo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,410
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

Nice replies.

Thank you

#16 alamo308

alamo308
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 6,693
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

These are great shooting rifles!

Don't know how interested you might be in wringing out your 513T for the best possible accuracy, but you did mention replacing the front sight with a globe/aperture sight. Here's what I did with mine. I drifted out the original blade sight, then installed a muzzle barrel clamp from Brownells (it comes with standard-radius mounting holes pre-drilled in the top of it), installed a sight base mount (also from Brownells) on the clamp, and then mounted a Tompkins spirit-level globe front sight on the sight base. See detailed pix below.

It works pretty good. The target was shot by my girlfriend, using the original Redfield Palma rear aperture sight (from CMP) and plinking-grade bulk-brick ammo (Winchester Super-X); first time she shot this rifle. :rolleyes: The coin is a quarter. We lost count of the rounds after they started going through the one big hole. She called the two flyers at 12 and 4 o'clock.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/beeker77/rem513T_barrel-clamp_frontsight1.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/beeker77/rem513T_Tompkins_frontsight3.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/beeker77/rem513T_Tompkins_frontsight1.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/beeker77/rem513T_50yards_Lisa1_annotated-fra.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users