Ranger Body Armor

NKina91

Hey everyone,

I found this a few weeks ago at a flea market. I tried to do some reasearch on it but there is very little info on them. Are they rare? It came with the ceramic plate in the back. What do you guys think? How much are they worth?

Thanks,

Nick

post-2204-1252534221.jpg

post-2204-1252534264.jpg

post-2204-1252534320.jpg

From the information I have, these vests are used by the Ranger Assualt teams, primarily the "door kicker" when the stack enters a building or room. These vests are somewhat heavier than the average ballistic vest, due to the possible threat, behind the door, or in the room upon entry. This information came from a retired Ranger friend of mine. There were 2 plates in these vests, both made of kevaler, but my friend also told me that there were some vests that were modified with steel plates, and these were used when there was positive intelligence that "bad guys" were held up in a building the Rangers were going to assualt. A little more added "life insurance" my friend told me. He also stated that the "door kicker" would rotate, due to the excess weight of the vest. Is this true information? I would have to say it is, considering my friend has been in Special Operations most of his military career, first in Rangers, then SF.

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr.

US Army (retired) 84/05

From the information I have, these vests are used by the Ranger Assualt teams, primarily the "door kicker" when the stack enters a building or room. These vests are somewhat heavier than the average ballistic vest, due to the possible threat, behind the door, or in the room upon entry. This information came from a retired Ranger friend of mine. There were 2 plates in these vests, both made of kevaler, but my friend also told me that there were some vests that were modified with steel plates, and these were used when there was positive intelligence that "bad guys" were held up in a building the Rangers were going to assualt. A little more added "life insurance" my friend told me. He also stated that the "door kicker" would rotate, due to the excess weight of the vest. Is this true information? I would have to say it is, considering my friend has been in Special Operations most of his military career, first in Rangers, then SF.

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr.

US Army (retired) 84/05

Thanks for all the info. The vest is really heavy. It has the pocket in the front for another plate. I looked at the plate again and i think it is ceramic.

That is the standard issue for SOF RBA-Ranger Body Armor (90's). This is not necessarily worn just for CQB (door kickin), but at the time this was only when they were used-unlike today were body armor is the norm.

That one looks to be the modified type used in Ranger Battalion-added chest pocket.

The Rangers also had a 4 magazine open top pouch that is worn on front held in place by velcro on back and the elastic/velcro straps go on top.

That is the standard issue for SOF RBA-Ranger Body Armor (90's). This is not necessarily worn just for CQB (door kickin), but at the time this was only when they were used-unlike today were body armor is the norm.

That one looks to be the modified type used in Ranger Battalion-added chest pocket.

The Rangers also had a 4 magazine open top pouch that is worn on front held in place by velcro on back and the elastic/velcro straps go on top.

Do you know where i can find one of these ammo pouches? I am also trying to figure out what the markings mean. Do you have any idea?

The ceramic plate marked HHC 67 is Headquarters/Headquarters Company 67, probably the plate inventory number, as with most all equipment is marked with an inventory number for accountability. I believe that this particular item was considered a sensitive item and had to be accounted for. The other markings on the vest itself maybe identified the wearer. I am not sure. Usually anytime army equipment is spraypainted with red paint, it is not to be used for actual operations, but for training, possibly due to damage to the ceramic plates or the vest is torn or unserviceable in some other way, that would make it, non-combat operational.

MATTD, any comments???, and thanks for the updated and clarified information on the vest being standard issue. Thanks...

Leigh...

This was the same armor worn by the Rangers in Somalia. Remember the comment in BHD, about removing back plate for weight reduction.

These were unit issue, not individual issue (as today). So I am guessing they are unit marking too.

This was the same armor worn by the Rangers in Somalia. Remember the comment in BHD, about removing back plate for weight reduction.

These were unit issue, not individual issue (as today). So I am guessing they are unit marking too.

Thanks for the info. What kind of gear would be worn with this? I am going to try and set up a display.

Thanks for the info. What kind of gear would be worn with this? I am going to try and set up a display.

Ranger Body Armor (RBA) was used in the early 90's up until 2001 when the Interceptor made it's way out to the big army. Ranger BN changed vests in about 2000 if I remember right to a vest made by point blank. (Point blank also made the Interceptor for the army) However their new vest was more like the current vest in use, it had a quick release and was put on over your head unlike the interceptor that you put on like the old flak vest.

When I was in the 82nd we had enough of these vests to outfit a platoon and used them for all live fire exercises. Just rotated those vests throughout the company.

The vests were modified over the years. In the beginning like Somalia they only had plates in the front. The rear plates were added after Somalia as a lessoned learned from the deployment that threats just are not from the front but 360 degrees. They also added the pockets and magazine pouches as they went. The movie BHD where they are removing rear plates is impossible because there were no rear plates yet. I was using that armor back then and there were zero rear plates.

The numbers are probably call signs that is a favorite ranger way to mark things and FO could be Forward Observer. Hard to tell as all the Battalions have different ways of doing buisness and marking things. The plate marking is definitely Headquarter Company. But the C-2-2 under the name is Charlie company, second platoon, second squad. And the other C number same. Charlie company passed this vest around which is normal because the vests would have been drawn from company supply.

For a display it depends on what year you want to do. You could use LCE or ranger assault carry kit (RACK) These vests were in use even as the new vest were coming in until all were replaced. LCE for Samalia to about 2000 then RACK or LCE from 2000 thru 2001.

LC-2 webgear would look great with this RBA.

-pistol belt

-pistol belt expansion

-4x M16 ammo pouches

-2x canteen/covers

-buttpack

-Y-harness

-2x compass pouches

-radio pouch

I don't know if it would be easy to find modified 4 magazines pouch for this RBA but you can contact member here, RTS (He is tactical tailor) to make one for you. It may not authentic but it would make cool display.

I never have seen photos of RACK being worn over RBA. RACKs were being used with modular body armor.

• 3 months later...

:w00t: I've one too, and write an article about that ! I find some pictures and all the different models !! I can help you for this topic ! :thumbsup:

Introduction :

The Ranger Body Armor (RBA) is a ballistic vest that was use by 75th Ranger Regiment in the 1990s and 2000s. Now, it as been replaced by the Ranger Armor Vest (RAV), Combat Integrated Releasable Armor System (CIRAS), Interceptor Body Armor (IBA) and by some others body armors designed for some special operations. The contract number of the RBA is DAAD05-92-C-9052. So, the contract was passed in 1992 and the body armors were produce after this date.

Ranger Body Armor gave birth to the Interceptor Body Armor (IBA). In fact, he had a lighter jacket and fitted with MOLLE strap to be able to establish pockets of all kinds (canteen, first aid kit, ...).

Ranger Body Armor (RBA) was designed by the United States Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Massachusetts to meet the operational needs of the 75th Ranger Regiment. Protective Material Company, HS Manufacturing et Supreme Protector are the three known manufacturer of the RBA. One last update of the RBA was also done by Ceradyne, with Balcs cut inserts and the BALCS/SPEAR design. Note : the balcs / SPEAR body armor was use by Special Operations Forces.

Picture of the SPEAR / BALCS for special forces (with 3 vertical front MOLLE straps) :

243315702_o.jpg

Ranger Body Armor was produced in limited quantities to meet urgent operational needs of the 75th Ranger Regiment. The army provided at GSA (number GS-07F-6041A) for the price of $ 738 (plates included) for a size medium set. It is available in sizes medium, large and extra-large only.

RBA consists of a two part system: a flexible vest and two ceramic plates (only one in the first model), both of which provide ballistic protection to the upper torso. Ranger Body Armor provides ballistic protection to level III (by standard NIJ). However, this jacket is very heavy (12kg - 25 pounds with plates) and often the Rangers withdrew the plates to avoid being cluttered. This has caused many injuries and deaths in the ranger community.

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20123911.bmp.jpg

Detail of the front (with the corner broken) and rear plates. The words "DO NOT DROP" are written.

Wearing the Ranger Body Armor :

This body armor has been used by the men of 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment (Company C and Command and Control) during Operation Gothic Serpent (Somalia) held from August 26, 1993 to October 21 of the same year. It was then a sensational breakthrough in ballistic technology which has been available for Rangers. Indeed, other conventional forces were then equipped only Personnal Armor Vest Ground Troop (PASGT-V) offering a ballistic shield can level II ("Flak vest" or "fragmentative vest").

In the early 90s, he had also been used by other troops in the Balkans and Haiti. 350 sets of Ranger Body Armor was also sent to the Rangers deployed in the former Yugoslavia (1996).

Finally, it has been used by men of the 173rd Infantry Brigade at the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003 -?) when they jump on Iraqi Kurdistan. The name of the operation is "Operation Airborne Dragon" (April 7, 2003). Probably by soldiers who carried out the tests to become Rangers and changed unit.

The differents versions of the RBA :

1st model :

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20124933.bmp.jpg

Only one plate to the front, not rear. The front plate has a corner broken. Both the elastic Cummerbund (= elastic belt) are set in the back and not on the sides. No additional cover. This is the original model, as used during Operation Gothic Serpent in 1993 by the Rangers from 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment.

2nd Model

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20125233.bmp.jpg

First RBA model with two plates (front and rear). The elastic closure of the vest are set in the back, not on the sides as is the case for other models.

3rd Model : Ranger Body Armor SPV-R

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20125443.jpg

The name "SPV-R" refers to the producer. The producer is "Supreme Protector" Vest (SPV). It seems that the "R" means "Renjaama" (a town in Somalia?). This would change the Ranger Body Armor following the experience of Somalia. The main change is the front plate is reduced in size (because too heavy before). There are 3 times that represent the elastic cummerbund. The elastics are black, but it appears that this varies with manufacturers.

4th model

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20125659.jpg

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20130802.jpg

Soldier deployed in Iraq showing the 4th model (with little pouch).

Adding a pocket at the front of the RBA on the plate. Adding a strip of Velcro on the front of the cummerbund. Two small plates rather than larger ones. Of the elastic cummerbund does not start in the lower back, but on the sides of the RBA. And adding two straps at the shoulders.

5th model

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20131137.jpg

Back to large plates, but both the front and rear. Of the elastic cummerbund does not start in the lower back, as on previous models, but on the sides of the RBA.

6th Model

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20131307.jpg

NOTE: Due to the excessive rarity of Ranger Body Armor, many fakes and the lack of information and the multitude of models that exist, we are not able to say that the RBA above is a original.

It would be a woodland version, whose elastic and Velcro is black. The plates are rectangular, not broken corner on the front plate.

7th Model

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20131335.jpg

NOTE: Due to the excessive rarity of Ranger Body Armor, many fakes and the lack of information and the multitude of models that exist, we are not able to say that the RBA above is a original.

It would be a desert 3-color version of the RBA, with elastic and Velcro is black. The plates are rectangular, not broken corner.

8th model by Ceradyne

Capture%20plein%20écran%2019122009%20131440.jpg

Latest model, probably the best known, but probably one of the rarest. Adopted by the Rangers in 1997. The manufacturer Ceradyne Body Armor. This is the same model than the Spear / BALC, but the front straps are horizontal (rather than 3 vertical stripes on the front). The back is almost identical, except for adding a strap over to get a soldier on the ground and a broadband MOLLE in the lower back. Possibility of adding a groin and neck and collar.

We note that it takes into account the remarks that followed the first versions of the RBA: plates smaller and lighter, and many bystanders to attach MOLLE pouches of all kinds.

In fact, it's a private purchase body armor. It isn't the official Ranger Body Armor but a civilian made. Called this body armor the "Ranger Body Armor" is an error of the seller. It looks like, but it isn't. There's some other unofficial model. This sort of body armor are generaly uses by PMC (private military contractors). Certainly not use in the official armed forces as Rangers.

Thanks for the very detailed info! I believe mine is a 4th model. Those pictures are great. Do you happen to know the value of these vests? I have no use for it.

Just a precision, when I tell "model", it isn't undestand as a chronology. Some model appears in the same time (depend on manufacturers, operations,...). Just the 1st model and the 8th model are appaeared in a specific period.

For the value, I don't know. I bought mine for a short price (less than $200) with both plates and he's in good condition (lightly used camo). I have the "2nd model". So, I can't help you.

• 3 weeks later...
ABNRANGER1-75

We were issued Ranger Body Armor (RBA) in 1992 (model 1 in the post) at 1st Ranger Battalion right after the 'Iris Gold'/Desert Storm trip by Bravo Company, 1st Ranger Bn...In 1994, we played with some of the velcro magazine holders to attach to the front of the Level III shock plate....they were quickly tossed aside; because we were still required to wear the Loud BEaring Equipment (LBE). Kinda a waste of effort to have two places to store magazines...most of us would tuck our shirts in and after we were done shooting a mag; would would drop it behind our shirt and vest.

Around 1995/1996--as a team leader/squad leader we were offered to add an additional shock plate to the back holder (model 2 in the post). The idea was that with younger rangers coming into battalion; you could potentially see an accidental discharge to the back...it was the team leader/squad leader decision to wear or not wear. I wore mine on a couple raids; but it sucked...it added an addional 10lbs to the load...and besides I trusted the members of my team and squad.

Around 2000/2001 model 3 become standard issue...Hope this helps piece it together.

Prior to September 2001--I remember you could purchase RBA through Ranger Joe's catalog for around $250-400...

Just some thoughts.

Hello,

thanks for theses informations. I'll try to add them in my article. If you have others informations, thanks to explain them, because it's realy interesting. Do you have any pictures of you or others soldiers wearing the differents models ?

We were issued Ranger Body Armor (RBA) in 1992 (model 1 in the post) at 1st Ranger Battalion right after the 'Iris Gold'/Desert Storm trip by Bravo Company, 1st Ranger Bn...In 1994, we played with some of the velcro magazine holders to attach to the front of the Level III shock plate....they were quickly tossed aside; because we were still required to wear the Loud BEaring Equipment (LBE). Kinda a waste of effort to have two places to store magazines...most of us would tuck our shirts in and after we were done shooting a mag; would would drop it behind our shirt and vest.

Around 1995/1996--as a team leader/squad leader we were offered to add an additional shock plate to the back holder (model 2 in the post). The idea was that with younger rangers coming into battalion; you could potentially see an accidental discharge to the back...it was the team leader/squad leader decision to wear or not wear. I wore mine on a couple raids; but it sucked...it added an addional 10lbs to the load...and besides I trusted the members of my team and squad.

Around 2000/2001 model 3 become standard issue...Hope this helps piece it together.

Prior to September 2001--I remember you could purchase RBA through Ranger Joe's catalog for around $250-400...

Just some thoughts.

Some questions. Velcro magazine holders are modified piece to add to vest or is it issue?

This ammo holders in vest would be useful with LC-2 web gear, not designed for vests and rigs?

Thanks!