• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,557 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

This emblem appeared early this week on EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Sellers description: A very finely crafted, jeweler made US Marine Corps officer's collar insignia eagle, globe and anchor. In excellent condition, no makers mark but it does have an early jewlery pin back fastener with a barrel hinge. A unique eagle long neck and hand cut anchor as can be seen in the picture.

Well honestly, I do not agree for the following reasons:

1) anchor flukes look like nothing I've seen - more sweetheart pin character - fish hooks?
2) the stock has no rings and is tapered - look t the example used from the collection of Mike Manifor.
3) a barrel clasp on a pre 1904 EGA - I think not...!These clasps did not come around until the late teen's
4) overall details are soft - no crispness to a piece - jeweler made ? No self respecting silversmith would do this.
5) why a single lefty - always sends up my radar. Why is it every time I see one of questionable nature - its the left collar version?
6) no real wear evident - the whole piece has the same appearance - dull details - no crisp recesses, as on the example
7) the piece is just to large - IMO. The eagle is to large for the scale - IMO. Reg's of the time called for the emblems worn on the collar to be half the size as those of the epaulets.

... and WHERE IS THE PATINA?

Interested in hearing from others. s/f Darrell

compare.jpg

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,557 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

phoney4.jpg

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,557 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

compare1.jpg

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

the more I study it, the more I have to agree. the metal quality almost seems inferior, and far too shiny, even if a period piece had been polished.

I have a feeling it's going to bring a hefty sum of moola, however

#5 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

I dont like the anchor flukes..I've seen this trait on some very bad pieces. Think I'll save my money and let someone else gamble with their own!

Mike

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,557 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:00 AM

I dont like the anchor flukes..I've seen this trait on some very bad pieces. Think I'll save my money and let someone else gamble with their own!

Mike

Well Mike someone felt it was worth the gamble - to the tune of $1320 bucks! :pinch:

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

never expected it to get that high!

#8 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,557 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users